1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Awakening Power by SIB - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by ip82, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Title: The Awakening Power
    Author: SIB
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Romance
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 250,118
    Updated: October 14, 2004
    Published: January 29, 2004

Pairings: JKR pairings (H/G, R/HR)
    Summary: Complete! Challenges fill Harry’s 6th year: growing powers, Snape as defense teacher, new Potions teacher, a new crush on him, Voldemort, Ginny, Goblins? Lots of humor, drama, action and romance! H:G,R:Hr. Award winner!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1709027/1/

This is pretty much what HBP should have been like. Canon-like Harry is being trained by Dumbledore in light, forbidden and some dark magic, Snape is DADA teacher, H/G and H/Hr pairings. The guy had guessed much about Book 6, save for Harry being powerless, stupid wimp. Dueling scenes are particilary good, on level with Shezza's works.

Downsides are only hated pairings. Also, the author getting a big head and promoting this story all over the net, instead of writing a sequel.

Checked by Minion, July 28, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  2. Ohmamamia_mamamia

Ohmamamia_mamamia First Year

You are WAY to biased! it is a godo or even great fic. Put differences aside and at leat try.

3. Sepanto

Sepanto Groundskeeper

TREASON! FILTH RUINING MY SCREEN! I DAMN YOU TO HELL! "Takes out ip82's eye with my lobster spoon and throws it to fluffy"/

4. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

I clicked on the link to check it out and it took me to "The Silver Mask". Is it my computer malfunctioning or is this link wrong?

5. Ohmamamia_mamamia

No it happened to me too. I have already read it but don't have the link for it.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Sorry about the bad link, it's fixed now.

As for why should you read H/G story, it's because this is a great story regardless of H/G pairing. This is probably one of the best done Harry-in-training stories so far and it would be a shame to miss it just becaose of that slut.

I hate H/G as much as the next guy, but that's mostly because the pairing is overused and clished. There's no exuces for someone to write H/G today and expect originality, but that wasn't a case a few years back, when this story was written. I just think it wouldn't hurt to check out the legends that had introduced all those things that are today considered clishes.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Tsk tsk, I thought you had all learned your lessons about condemning a story for its pairing before reading it. It's a good story, H/G doesn't change that, though I shuddered a bit.

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

As far as I'm concerned, any story with Harry/Ginny is rated as mediocre or lower by default. I am that biased and will proudly admit it. There are some that might be worth reading, but I'm still not going to do so. I understand that a lot of people are now starting to just read that abominable pairing due to sheer desperation, but as I've stated repeatedly before, I will break off and find another fandom to read and write in before I ever even consider lowering myself to reading anything with that homely redheaded semen recepticle. I'm already starting to pay more attention to Naruto than to Harry Potter these days. As for the way the sixth book should have been...we all know that's not accurate. The way it properly should have been would have had him get back with Cho. :lol:

There is no lesson to learn, and I abjectly refuse to be ordered to change the way that I view fanfiction.

9. Ohmamamia_mamamia

That is true A H/G story does degrade it. But the writing style is strong nonetheless.

10. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

For me, it's not so much the fact that it's H/G, but the fact that Harry always acts like a little bitch in stories with these pairings, and spends the whole summer feeling guilty about everything and worrying about not noticing ginny before and all that other weak crap.

11. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

yeh thats true, but in a lot a stories with H/Slut Harry tends to get beaten around like a little bitch by the filthy swamp donkey! heaven forbit he angers a red head! all fic writers are the same when they do this discusting taboo pairing!

Ip82 i have to admit i'm quite distressed that you put a H/G story here but then i remember reading it and liking it. Like you said i thought it a great Harry-in-training with excellent battle scenes. The way he wrote the Harry/Riddle duel at the end was well done nothing over the top in power and skill wise it was quite realistic if you took into account Harry's skill's that he had gained.

12. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's exactly why I put it here. I'm really pissed off that authors are always screwing up Harry/Riddle battles and making Harry cheat somehow, or isn't having any chance at all, or defeating him with his pinky finger. Duels with Voldemort and Dumbledore from this book are amongst the best out there.

And I should probably mentioned that, while I DID read this a long time ago, I'm pretty sure that Harry's NOT acting like a pussy. In fact, he gives Snape a good whomping when he tries playing smart.

13. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Exactly, that makes what, the 3rd warning?

Bottom line, next person that bitches and bashes a fic without even reading it ESPECIALLY just for H/G, is going to be made an example of. I've asked nice-like twice now, I guess I'll have to just be an ass about it. We're a buncha brutally honest bastards, not prejudgemental witch hunters guys, lay off it. We're pretty lax and let the boards run free for the most part, all we're asking is to help the site out by not prejudging, since that sort of attitude could potentially run off a great bit of the folks we're hoping will come here.

Theres the official warning, not a nicely worded general caution, not a simple lay off guys. Knock it off, now.

If you don't like it, don't read it, but do not bitch about someone trying to post a story that's even half readable. Either read it, then rip it shreds for a good reason, or don't and leave it be.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Now that you mention it, I've found many people here who've completely stopped reading/writting HP fanfiction, and are satisfied to just bitch about stuff on this forum (and I'm definitely NOT talking about Lord Serapheth here). I'm sory for saying it and I know I'm new here, but how else to explain that general discussions and sick & perverse have greater number of posts than actual story discussions? Even posts on stories are mostly done by people who've already read it, or are never intending to read it but are just putting their two cents in.

Just something I've noticed, feel free to continue with your inner circle struggle for power / catfight :)

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I think the reasons are pretty obvious. It's been stated several times that there isn't much out there to read anymore, and many people have neither the time nor the inclination to write. Some people are willing to settle the issue by condescending to read Harry/Ginny and other such tripe, and others (myself included) are just starting to read less and less or going off to find other fandoms to follow that don't really apply to these forums.

Wow...my protest lasted almost the better part of a few hours. Yay for me.

16. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Maybe, but then again, there never was that many good stories to begin with. 90% of everything is crap. If you place that high standards on what you're reading, than you should read commercial literature instead of amateur fanfiction.

As for other fandoms, I really can think of no other setting better for fanfiction than HP. I think that most people as dishearted with HBP and gave up trying to create any story based on that shit. I'm hoping that, with time, people would return to writing post-OOTP and post-GOF stories, or complete AU's.

17. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is something feartheturtle brought up, as well as numerous other folks also, so I'll address it. Writing ff isn't a 100% needed goal to post here, I dunno what the hell that idea came from, I've been asked in PM's multiple times about that. Bitching is just fine, most of the internet forums are vent fests. We're a discussion board, where we also review fics we think are readable, in hopes to find ones we haven't read yet.

General discussion will always have more posts then story discussions. Once you post a story, and folks say good/bad/eh and give a summary, the thread is mostly done. S&P.. ug I dunno hate that place. Interjecting posts asking questions about the story is a-okay, it's the bashing or unread fics that will stop. Hell, if you really feel the need to bash the fic, at least pretend you read it, don't go "I won't read this b/c it's H/G, it's gotta be utter crap! What the hell were you thinking posting this crap I outta *blah blah*"

We're gonna be putting our foot down and following the rules quite a bit more, applying to everyone. Regardless of whether you share the opinion that Patronuscharm is just delusions, or if you really hate the board, we will be trying to make this place better, and move slightly away from all the bitching, and more towards a fair atmosphere. Those that feel this is nazi admining, instead of trying to make the board a better place for the growing community that it is, are free to ask questions, or if this sours them, to jet and not contribute to negativity.

I've moved the admin/mod discussion to our private forum/

18. Akalon

Akalon Second Year

Columbus, Ohio USA on weekends, weekdays The Void.
    You know we should just have a page on here where Serapheth can bitch and give his reviews for the fics he reads, the pairings, and everything else he wants to, then maybe we can at least read the pairings he doesn't like and not have to see him bitching at least once in these review/chat boards.

19. DGD

DGD Headmaster

Umm. . . A little harsh, don't you think? Sera has a right to bitch about a fanfic if he's read it and it sucks. All of us do. You're just adding to the hate, spead the love like mayo brother. *Cough* That was my inner hippie, ignore it and it usually goes away.

20. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Hrm...I could respond to that, but I find myself reminded of some simile connecting arguing on the Internet and the Special Olympics. Regardless, I'd advise you to keep your rather borderline retarded opinions to yourself, lest you find yourself banned from these forums. I've not bothered to test whether or not I can do it personally, but I'm regardless rather confident that I have enough clout here as a moderator to see the likes of you shown to the door should I see fit.