1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Book of Dobby: Per Arcana ad Astra by Doghead Thirteen - M

Discussion in 'Humor' started by DarthBill, Oct 3, 2008.

1. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Title: The Book of Dobby: Per Arcana ad Astra
    Author: Doghead Thirteen
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Chapters: 5 (rewritten version)
    Words: 42,481
    Updated: August 6, 2010
    Published: May 27, 2009

Summary: There's only so far you can push anyone before they'll push back, and Harry's been pushed too far. Between that and Dobby's form of mad proving contagious, things are about to get violent. Turn out those lights! Don't you know there's a war on?

Original story: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4571312/1/The_Book_of_Dobby_Per_Arcana_ad_Astra
    Rewritten version: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5093023/1/The_Book_of_Dobby_Reboot_Per_Arcana_ad_Astra

Only one chapter, but still funny. You get a look at how Dobby sees Harry.

The only real complaint I have is Redeemed!Dudley. And that the author got Harry's age wrong at the beginning.

Checked by Minion, February 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2013
  2. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's got potential. I found myself laughing at Dobby's thoughts, which is good. The plot looks pretty cool too, though that seems to be pretty secondary to the humour.

And I'm sure I've heard of this guy somewhere before >_>.

3. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

Lolz.
    That was funny enough.

The only problem is that everyone not a house-elf sounded American, not British. The elves on the other hand were perfect.

3.5/5

TURN OUT THE LIGHTSES! DON'T YOUS KNOWS THERE IS A WAR GOING ON!
    Classic line.

4. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

The author is a poster over at the CaerAzkaban yahoo group. There are some issues with this fic though. The ages are wrong, the plot layout is a bit pretentious, characterizations (Dumbeldore's especially) are off, and the speech is far too American.

As a pure crackfic, it's nice. As a more serious fic, it has some issues that I don't think the author even knows of yet.

5. SirDAMalot

SirDAMalot First Year

The AE, BE issue didn't bother me at all. That's probably because english isn't my first language though.

The censorship on the other hand cracked me up. And Dobby's inner monolouge was pretty funny too.

6. Agnostics Puppet

Agnostics Puppet Professor

He actually has the next two chapters posted on the CaerAzkaban Yahoo group. I really like this fic, though embarrassingly enough I didn't catch the fact that the ages were messed up at the beginning. Doh.

Dobby's inner monologue had me holding my sides I was laughing so hard.

7. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I think my signature says it all...

I can't wait until he uploads the other two chapters he's got done. It's an excellent crack fic.

4/5

8. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I'm pretty sure that the author isn't American. So if it's not British enough, that doesn't make it too American.

9. Jearom

Jearom Sixth Year

I've been following this on CaerAzkaban as well. It is very much a crack fic, but a very enjoyable one! Doghead is a self-described gun- and biker- mad hairy Scot.

4/5

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

Fukkin hilarious. Nuff said. 4.75 / 5

11. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Still trying to figure out what I just read...

Dobby is awesome.

4/5

12. peregrine1989

peregrine1989 Third Year

Not bad, not bad at all, I am still trying to figure out if the stuff in Brackets is inner monologue or as the title says, The Book of Dobby, something he may write after the war.

Some of the stuff the House elves say is difficult to read, and you have to read a few times to make sense. Also off Fanfiction.net, you occasionally come across spelling and grammar errors, however from what I have determined, the CaerAzkaban Chapters are not betaed (Correct spelling is asked for) as either his computer has gotten sick or he lost his Beta. When he posts them on FF.net they will be Betaed.

Great story, allowing the technology to creep in yet keep the magic of Harry Potter. Love the 40K references, and is a great crack fic.

As for those who don't like the Dudley Redemption, it could be said that his parents raised him to see Harry as a Freak. In cannon we get NO Character progression for him so we are lead to believe he doesn't change. However much it is likely he is still a bully, we have little calms to that other then he Boxes. Thus he could have changed and the Dementor attack in 5 would be enough to make the Dudley in this story wake up and see his parents are wrong.

4/5 with the ability to rise when,
    the French arrive

13. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

A bit amusing. 3.5/5

14. Azrael's Little Helper

Azrael's Little Helper High Inquisitor

"And the prophet Dobby did sing the sacred hymns of Dickinson and Harris, and the prophet Dobby did observe the rituals of Ignition and Conact, yae, and the prophet Dobby's checklist it was completed."

That is 1000000/5

15. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

Deos anyone have the links? I did a cursory search to no avail. I'll dig deeper, but I'd prefer to just be handed the links trouble-free.

16. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

second chapter is up, appears to be done quick with Harry getting a shitload of old planes thanks to his idea of transfiguring copies of them. not really good compared to the first chapter

17. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I still find the Words of Dobby funny as fuck, they just set me off better than anything else :p. I liked how he stole the logo from Games Workshop, I get the feeling Harry's gonna end up being the Emperor of Man by the end of this XD.

18. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

19. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yes, there definitely needs to be more "Words of Dobby." This is the best part of the fic.

20. Erisah

Erisah First Year

Agree with most of the above- words of Dobby are entirely hilaire, especially with the manglings of the wartime slogans. :)

Other than that, I love this simply because it provided me with the image of Dobby flying a goddamn Stuka and bombing Riddle Manor with Tommy inside. When a fic has an image of awesome like that, I'm willing to forgive many many things. :D

4/5