1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Girl in the Tower(M) & The Girl in the Tower 2: Home By The Sea(T)

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by BloodRedSword, Oct 18, 2007.

1. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Title: The Girl in the Tower
    Author: Spookymulder
    Rating: M
    Genre: Romance/Angst
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/OC
    Summary: Novel length fic where Harry meets a mysterious girl, hidden at Hogwarts. RR! Recommended Story of the Month, April 2003
    URL:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1180303/1/The_Girl_in_the_Tower

The first part. Quite a long fic and rather refreshing for romance pairing. It sows Harry is still human after all unlike most romance where Boy-Meets-Girls-and-Snogs-the-hell-out-of-her-in-less-then-5-minutes type of fic. A well-paced fic if rather long winded. OC is...maybe superpowered... All right the OC is a Elemental whose mood affect the weather... Anyway give it a try. Read this first before moving to the sequel.

Title: The Girl in the Tower 2:Home by the Sea
    Author: Spookymulder
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance/Angst
    DLP Category: Romance
    Pairing: Harry/OC, Malfoy/OC
    Summary: Seven years after the end of The Girl in the Tower, Harry, Sara, and Draco find that things don't always turn out as planned.
    URL:http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2662528/6/The_Girl_in_the_Tower_2_Home_by_the_Sea

Still WIP but looks promising...Nothing much to say until I completed the 20 chapters... I will come back and edit it later.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Read the first story many, many moons ago. Didn't like it.

Original characters are fine. Original characters with super-powers are not.

3. thapagan

thapagan High Inquisitor

I read a few years ago (2005 ish ?) It is OK. A good romance fic but not for the DPL library. Trash bin maybe?

4. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

I read this when it was being written. I liked it then, but remembering as much as I can now about it, I know that if I reread it at my current standards, it would fail miserably.

Mary Sue character with a pointless angsty plot.

Edit: Hah, I get negrepped for liking it when I first started reading fanfiction, and had no standards. Well, all I can say is, atleast I wasn't into slash.

People who feel the need to negrep me to, "add to my sig" really need to fuck off, its suppose to represent how many people dislike me, not those who just want to negrep me for fun.

Atleast write a hate message like, "Add this to your sig, you fucking piece of shit." its a simple request.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  5. Marie M

Marie M Raptured to Hell

I started reading it about two years ago and couldn't finish...I won't start again

6. MrINBN

MrINBN Unspeakable

Read this awhile ago, and I remember it being a Mary Sue with Superuberspecial powers that gets drunk off her ass every night despite being underage. 1/5

7. Oujou Akaash

Oujou Akaash Unspeakable

damn...this bring backs memories.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wow. I remember finding this when I first started HP fanfiction and liking it.

... God those were dark times.

2/5 now.

9. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

After ruskbyte's order of the phoenix this was the second story ever for me in fanfiction i believe, i can still barely remember waiting eagerly for it to be updated. Thats why i am really glad i found this site when i did, steered me to a much darker future.

10. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I had a 900+ word rant written about this but screw it. In the end, it pretty much boils down to this.

OC Mary-Sue-O-Meter
    :

Bags Harry Potter without even trying (in the 1st chapter, even)? Check.
    -
    Related to major canon character? Check.
    -
    Universally loved by everyone (except bad guys & girls that want Harry)? Check.
    -
    She's even long time, buddy-buddies with Snape? Big Check.
    -
    Tragic Past (Potter caliber tragedy)? Check.
    -
    Voldie wants her just as bad as he wants Harry (perhaps more)? Check.
    -
    Kisses a bad guy? Check.
    -
    'Redeems' a bad guy? Check.
    -
    Kisses a 'redeemed' bad guy? Check.
    -
    Substance abuse? Check.
    -
    Non-UK origin? Check.
    -
    Wimpy, waffling love triangle with Harry and Draco? OMG, Check!
    -
    Needlessly manufactures her own angst and heartbreak, only to pointlessly inflict it on the other characters? Check.
    -
    Super power? Little, Tiny Check.

Shit, in the end, the super power can be ignored compared to the other standard Mary-Sue baggage. There are so many other reasons that this OC is annoying, who cares about her elemental magic?

I wanted to like Sara, really, I did. When she approached Draco (who had already tried to force himself on her) in a bar, making him think he had a chance, just to get some booze off him, though, I started to waver. I desperately wanted to throw in the towel after she sucked face with Malfoy Sr. and Jr. (repeatedly) but I refused to quit.

I wouldn't even mind Draco's prominence in this story so much if it weren't for the OC's constant, disloyal waffling between Harry and Draco, which spans the entire breadth of the fic. The fact that Harry puts up with it with nearly no complaints is even worse.

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

In layman's terms, the main character is not Harry. The main character is not even Draco. It's a blatant self-insert.

The author actually showed up on this site a long while back.

12. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

If I remember correctly (And I don't care if I don't) this shit won a lot of make-believe awards from some crappy fansites. That, usually, pretty much rules it out as a god story.

13. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

LOL, yeah. If I had a nickel for every Hr/SS story that had a list of awards it won in the summary...

I skimmed over (what there is of) the sequel to this fic.

My two word review: "Even Worse."

My one sentence review: "Even more sourceless angst and pointless infidelity."

14. BloodRedSword

New review...

Ok... That's it... I puked... I finally forced myself to read through Home by the Sea and it sucks. Big time.

I'm generally a reader who is rather easy going and this fic managed to make me puke. Call me a sucker for happy end to romance fic but this angst that Harry cheats on his wife? Hello are we talking or even think the same about the most honourable man in the whole wizarding world?

I shall not go through the details for it makes it worse. All I can say is can the admin move it to the Trash Bin ASAP? I can't face this failure...

Damn, I can't believe that I tried to foster a crappy fics on you guys...

Sorry guys! Forgive me?

15. Kai Shek

Kai Shek Supreme Mugwump

Psst, you would have been better off posting nothing. You obviously liked the first one, and the second one is just more of the same.

16. BloodRedSword

I like the first one much more then the sequel... So sue me!