1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I agree, and yet, I found this last chapter to be somewhat tedious. Yes, there was action and all that, but, just as the last few times, the baddies to something to piss Harry off, and he wipes the floor with them with some magic and HK. Other than the (mostly easily negated) danger to the girls, there didn't seem to be anything remotely threatening. Even the lightsaber wielding bounty hunter wasn't much of a threat.

I may be too dismissive of e.g. the space battle, but when I think of the upcoming 'battle' against Black Sun, I just expect another curb stomp romp.

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the story very much, but I guess I enjoy the interactions with Force-Users and the battle against the Sith in the beginning more.

2. Clampert

Clampert First Year

High Score:
    I agree on this story becoming a bit tedious. It just has a tendency on hitting the same notes over and over again with just minor variation. We had several space battles that were resolved in almost the same exact way. Not it's bounty hunters.

Same thing over and over gain. It's like the author is worried that he will be accused of rushing the plot along so he keeps on adding hurdles for Harry, without making them actually challenging.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

The black lightsaber wielder should be Pre Vizsla accompanied by the upper rank Death Watch super commandos. All loaded down with various Mandalorian sensor tech in their helmets. If they can't even give this Harry a challenge of battle that lasts longer than a single minute then expect Black Sun to do absolutely no better. I'm not all go-Mando! but even they should have presented some sort of challenge.

The only person we've seen stalled Harry for more than a minute is Maul and he's dead. So expect much more Trololol!Harry as he accumulates all the wealth in the galaxy since billions of credits (or is he up to trillions at this point?) apparently isn't enough. It's already set up with his newest "let's find everyone's old droids and steal their credits too, trololol!"

There's only so much curb-stomp I can take before it just becomes repetitive and for me it reached that point a couple of chapters ago when all the bounty hunters (or whoever) killed themselves over Corellia in an effort to get to him.

In the latest chapter apparently all he has to do to defeat the Jedi is disapparate in their presence and they're out cold for days... I mean LOL what? Thank goodness that the Jedi won't fight him now, so they're off the table as enemies... for the moment anyway.

121k words and it's still "day by day Harry against everyone in the SW-verse." Can we have something remotely resembling a plot please or did I miss it somewhere when Harry was trololol stealing something else? "One wizard>the entire SW-verse" doesn't qualify.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I'm getting a very Black Comedy vibe from this, but I don't it succeeds in that as well ABC did. The stomps and credit gathering can only carry the fic so far, and it's already past that point, I think.

We'll need something different to actually give this fic weight again. A stomp here and there is good, but some challenge and/or seriousness would be welcome.

5. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Heather has got it right.

This story has always been trash(y), but it turned to garbage like five chapters ago. It just keeps getting worse and worse.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm still having a hell of a lot of fun with it, personally.

To me it feels like we're building to something, like we're constantly gathering steam. Harry is rolling through the galaxy and sooner or later he's going to be miss a step, and that'll rattle him, and then he'll run into another enemy he can't curbstomp, and so on.

But right now? I think the story is making it viable that everyone knows who Harry fucking Potter is.

I do wish that Cad Bane and Darksaber-wielding-dude had posed at least a minor challenge, however. Harry curbstomping standard galactic threats is fantastic fun, but that crowd should have at least made him work for it. Maybe not as much as Maul did, but enough to make Harry blink.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Awesome as Cad Bane might be, I don't think Harry stomping him is an issue, even with prior preparation. Magic is an incredible advantage, and most matchups would be pretty one-sided.

Normally, a writer balances that out and sacrifices realism for storytelling and/or suspence. This story ... doesn't, but for me it works.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Sure, but Harry had a not-insignificant amount of trouble with Darth Maul. Darth Maul had a not insignificant amount of trouble with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in canon. And Cad Bane was noted (I think?) as a Jedi Hunter at some point in canon. In this particular scenario Bane had a lot of backup as well as what should have been solid distractions (Darksaber dude, hostages, and so on).

Point being that we have somewhat of a measuring stick for Harry via his fight with Maul. And based on that, and what we know of characters like Maul and Bane from canon, it seems that while Harry should have won the fight in this chapter without too much trouble... maybe it shouldn't have gone quite so smoothly.

IMO at least. I'm with you at least on the fact that it's still fun as hell and in general 'works for me.'

9. junkseer2

junkseer2 First Year

High Score:
    Honestly, i love this fic, one of several HP/SW x-overs i'm following. Probably the best and most memorable part of the fic overall has been HK and his, "voice", i guess. He makes for a hilarious and interesting companion for HP, i think without him Havoc would lose a lot of its appeal. Looking forward to some opponents who can actual stand up to HP(jedi/sith/whatever), but glorious carnage a-la this chapter hasn't tired me out yet either.

10. hp1764

hp1764 Squib

High Score:
    I was thinking about how Harry using magic "damages" the Force and I think the way in which the Jedi respond is different from the Sith. When Harry fought Maul, Maul barely had a reaction to Harry's first use of magic, and did not seem unduly disadvantaged by it for the duration of the fight (save for the surprise at facing someone who fought so differently from anything he had faced before). Conversely, the Jedi seem to have a much more serious negative reaction (I think someone in this thread mentioned the strength of the reaction depends upon the strength of the Force user, and Maul is a very strong Force user). Regardless, I think it is a very interesting component to the story, and I look forward to more.

11. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Actually if you read the "Unsuspecting Side of the Force". The author explains that Maul feels the pain of it but has risen beyond that pain in order to keep fighting.

12. DEADSIRNAIT

DEADSIRNAIT Second Year

Despite the issues people have been pointing out, I still really enjoy with fic, mostly because I don't take it seriously.

13. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

New update on the side story.

---------- Post automerged at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

The best part was Harry's Howler.

14. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The howler was a nice but my favorite was Jinn and Kenobi. Its nice to see that despite their disagreeable first few meetings, the Jedi are not being bashed. Jinn is a smart and capable man, and it shows.

15. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

To be honest I never understood the bashing of the Jedi order in fanfiction. I only ever watched the movies and always thought that they where pretty well... "Good" Vs. the Sith "Evil".
    So I like this fic because it takes a bad-ass Harry and inserts him in a world where he isn't fighting the Man so to speak but the evils in the universe around him.

I do find the the Harry/Jedi interaction quite a bit awkward at times, but maybe that's just me. As for this latest installment I'm loosing hope that Harry will really interact with Padme in the long run. Time will tell I suppose.

16. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    The jedi represent authority in the SW universe, much moreso than the Senate or any other single political entity ever did. They are often bashed because they can very easily be fit into the 'stuck up, unbending old codgers who try to tell people what to do but only fuck up' category that shit writers love to use.

They are the Magical Ministry of the SW verse.

Moreover, by representing order (or, if you prefer, the 'Light' side) they are also very easy victims of shit authors who have a hardon whenever the word 'Dark' is mentioned.

17. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

That's part of it, but on the opposite end of the respectability scale you get conservative intelligentsia writing thinkpieces about the wonders of the Empire. Most notably, of course, Johnathan Last's (in)famous Case for the Empire.

My personal favourite is Sonny Bunch's The destruction of Alderaan was completely justified opinion piece for the Post though.

E: also comedy option, this scene from Chasing Amy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0VZj-85E5o

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  18. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Update

More filler than anything else,but it was suitably entertaining.

19. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

So basically the exact same thing as every other chapter then.

Don't get me wrong, this fic's funny and all and a joy to read, but we've had 130,000 words of Harry clowning mobsters and jedi alike, accumulating new crew, and precious little in terms of overall plot.

20. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I have a feeling that after Harry returns with this latest chick. The story will start to move forward more.