1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Mysteries of the Department by Taure - T

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Skeletaure, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm...there reason Harry has no battle experience is that there wasn't a war against Voldemort - he hasn't been seen since 1981.

As for the use of surnames, that might just be a British thing...one of my best friends, I only call him by his surname, I can't even remember the last time I called him by his first name. So for me, them only calling each other by their surnames wasn't so unusual, but I guess it would be for others.

2. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Fourth Year

Ah, I missed the Voldemort bit, it wasn't the use of the surnames that seemed off but the fact that they seemed to be overused.

“Not now, Granger,” I interrupted before she could get onto one of her moralistic speeches. “You can complain in your own time.”

Getting up from my seat, I started walking to the center of the room, calling back to Granger,

Thats more what I mean by the usage of the surnames.

3. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Ah OK. Well, that was probably just me wanting to make sure the reader knew who was talking to who. I believe that in the first draft there was less of it, but when I read it through I thought it might be confusing so I added more. Evidently that wasn't nessecary lol.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know what you mean about foll addressing each other by their last names. Its fairly common around where I live as well.

Nice chapter, good suspense at the end.

5. rj_stone2

rj_stone2 Seventh Year

Interesting story. I like the unconventional setting and plot.

One question though- why does he get into the whole chase scene thing instead of just apparating away?

6. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Which chase scene?

If you mean the one in the Department fleeing from the killer, it is because there are anti-apparition wards. It takes an explosion to allow to wards to be broken and Harry to escape.

If you mean the chase with the aurors, he does apparate away to the Quidditch stadium, but the aurors are able to follow his apparation.

7. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

where i am from its also quite common for people to be called by there last name or a shortened/modified version of it. Being from Scotland it could very well be a british thing though.

As for the fic i love it, very unusual but thats nice in what has become the cliche world of fandom, keep up the good work. 5/5