1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Unforgiving Minute by Voice of the Nephilim - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Grinning Lizard, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

The Eleventh Hour has been posted on FF.net.

Thanks for the kind words on the previous chapter, all.

2. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

The Twelfth Hour has been posted and was a fantastic climax/conclusion to the story. Now I just need to read the epilogue to finish it off...Great story Voice just don't take 3 months to post the ending and bring us back from the edge of our seats.

5/5 rating

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Alternatively, just read it in WbA.

4. Padfoot85

Padfoot85 Sixth Year

Well this is embarrassing. I feel like an idiot. :facepalm

Although in my defense I don't generally use WbA because of the unfinished products and all the posting reviews in between chapters, makes it annoying to read especially if there's quite a lot of updates.

Still consider me properly made a fool of.

Just finished the epi and while I would have like to have seen the end result (the duo portkey back and deal with the fallout), it was still rather gratifying to know that everything essentially turned out ok, and that Harry's sacrifice was worth it.

Still 4.875/5 If only for the "incomplete" ending. All in all a rather enjoyable read.

5. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Epilogue posted on FF.net. Finally.

It is now done. On to the next project.

6. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Do you mean working more on Sitra Ahra? or something else?

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

It's very good. Quite awesome and all.

The time travel was a bit strange, but alright.
    If we presume that by changing history and in turn, becoming non-existent (as there are no way with voldemort having died that young harry turns out the same as the old one) saving Harry in the end wasn't necessary. It is the only nitpick I have found, but sometimes people just don't like for harry to stay dead after dying. Why must he live? Everything was perfect, the mission accomplished, Cedric forced to kill Voldemort, the Horcruxes destroyed, why remove the impact of the epilogue and revive little Harry? And you reviving him is not unexpected - everyone would be surprised it if you left him lying there.
    There was a good resolution from older harry
    so roll with it.

But that's only from the epilogues, and as I said, nitpicking from my tower.

Everything else was solid.
    Harry's ruthlessness worked really well and I liked all the interactions with Albus and Sirius.

Restricting Cedric from leaving until Voldemort is dead was a perfect and unexpected move. For a few seconds I believed that they he would even survive.
    And that would have been alright of a choice too (even though a bit hars and kind of requiring a small mention (not even that, when you think about it.)). All Harry did, was leave way's for Voldemort to be defeated even if he failed. (letting Kingsley live, for example) It could have been a very strong downer ending, but we all would have known that everything possible was done to reach as much as possible. (Slightly worse variant than the current ending)

A solid 4.75 from me.
    (Quick,Voice of the Nephilim, kill little harry, and you'll get a 5 with a plus ;p)

Nauro.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  8. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

Grats brother. Sorry I couldn't work on it toward the end.

I'll give it a read in the coming days.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

5/5

For some reason I never read this until now, probably because of the title -- threw me off. However, now I did, and I read it in one go, naturally, which I must say is the way it's meant to be read. The manner of its posting notwithstanding, this story is a perfect whole (planning, anyone? This is how you do it!) -- like the bests of oneshots, a self-contained piece of writing, with no extraneous stuff and nothing missing, just right; and with the very last word only leaving a feeling of deep satisfaction behind. I think the last time I felt it that clearly was in Amerision's Equal & Opposite.

It stems from the way of the execution: The plot could be whatever -- a somewhat cliché time-travel fix-it, in this case -- and right, Harry is awesome and kickass and all that, but what makes you love it is that you get the feeling that the story is the best it can be. And that's the gold standard. Nothing less should be what we strive for. Great, fantastic work VotN.