1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Cyclops, Aug 12, 2009.

1. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Ending was pretty much cannon.

I'm just wondering when Merle will make a reappearance. Hes the real wild card here.

Let his stump carry a Chainsaw, and let there be :awesome

Groovy.

2. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

This show is made of awesome and win.

And they cancelled Rubicon? Fucking fuck man. That was probably the best show of the damn season and they go and cancel it? What, is it too slow moving for fast food America that needs instant gratification? Or is it unnacceptable to have competent, badass, non-stereotypical gay characters?

What the fuck is their reasoning for that?

3. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

They canceled Rubicon because the slow pace in the first few episodes lost them a lot of viewers. It started with a 0.5 rating and went down to .2.

4. fuubar

fuubar Headmaster

While this show has had a few moments that made me facepalm, it is definitely one of the best new shows on tv (not saying much but there it is). This episode was no different. The one issue that I'd take with it is that at the end the group seems exceedingly desperate which is not the impression that I'd gotten from the previous couple of episodes.

Still, I can't wait for next week or next season!

5. Solomon

Solomon Heir

They weren't desperate before because the situation wasn't desperate, but sure as hell is now. Their campground was just compromised. They lost a significant amount of manpower. At the end of the episode they were outside, possibly surrounded by walkers, and night was rapidly approaching.

That sounds like a desperate situation.

6. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    This episode started up slow, dealing with the aftermath of the massive zombie attack from last week, but got more in tune later on, especially with the Rick/Shane interaction and the CDC part.

This episode brought to the forefront the Rick/Shane tension that erupted into homicidal rage/despair in the comics. Kewl beans.

The CDC part had the lone survivor/last sane man/mad scientist character down pat. I am looking forward to how they expand on him from what I saw in the preview for next week, when he says that the zombie infection is worldwide.

7. QuaziJoe

QuaziJoe Dolphin Boy

Most zombie stories are day to day survival. One day your on top of the world able to survive for the rest of your life on the safety and provisions you acquire, then Its taken away and your left in a bad situation hoping to survive the night.

This is very accurate for the Genre.

They had a good thing going being so close to Atlanta to scavenge, but far enough away for safety and security. Then they loose all that in one night and are foreced to flee. Plus the trauma of their losses would add to the impact.

ALSO:

We have officially deviated majorly away from cannon. As far as I'm aware, they never even talk about the CDC from where they are in the comics/novels.

I asked a friend and he said of the 5 novels I'm only up to book 2 so I could be wrong.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  8. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

Season finale.....

It was nice and pessimistic, which I like. Apparently the French were the last to hold out in researching a cure to infection, but dropped out due to a lack of fuel to keep going.

Apparently no one used solar panels or a nuclear reactor. Or maybe I'm being too harsh.

I did like how the Army soldiers were just massacring people, infected or not.

Hope the second season maintains this high standard.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Sad the "CDC arc" didn't last longer than one episode, lol. Had a lot of potential.

11. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Not sure why solar panels didn't work, but nuclear reactors have automatic shutdowns I think, to prevent overload or anything that zombies could do to its computers.

It was an okay final episode, though some things were kinda stupid. Their not taking any guns from the dead soldiers around them, the apathy after the emergency decontamination was revealed instead of you know, trying to get out then with food from the CDC's stores.

12. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Bump for some pretty big news:

So, AMC decided to fire Frank Darabont a few weeks ago, and if the rumors are true both Walking Dead and Breaking Bad are on shaky ground . . . wtf AMC >_>

I swear, if they cancel Walking Dead or the show becomes shit I will have a nerd fit.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  13. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

To be honest, only about half of the episodes were good. So if Darabont being gone means no cold-opening sex scenes and no more of that zombies show up only in the last two minutes like that one episode... then I don't mind him being canned.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  14. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

So, you want a generic zombie movie with zero plot and more gore/tits? You ever read the comic? It's not a series that focuses solely on the zombies. There are actual plots, subplots and characterization that have to be explored.

And I think the only episode Darabont wrote/directed were the first and second episodes, but he was the guy everything went through before being made. (Plus, he directed The Shawshank Redemption so that makes him epic in my eyes)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  15. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

So the season 2 premier just aired, anybody else see it?

The cliff hanger ending really pissed me off. I did wonder why the zombie herd didn't smell the group when they were under the cars and what the scientist dude told Rick.

16. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I watched the whole first season, and shaky is a good descriptor of the episode quality - so, fitting. Can't say shit about BB.

17. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As I recall didn't he say "Welll basically the entire world is fucked, near as we could tell before everything died this shit was all over the entire planet with no hope of a cure." I mean I haven't seen the finale in a long time but I'm fairly sure that was the gist of it.

Also I was kinda expecting something like it, I wasn't necessarily expecting for the kid to get shot, maybe a Walker jumps him, maybe the deer loses its shit and gores/tramples him but I was expecting something bad to happen to him. They don't spend the entire episode foreshadowing that heavily about the kid being in danger and then have him go happily back to his mom and take a nap.

As for why the Horde didn't smell them given the relatively tiny amount of blood, the overwhelming amount of other corpses, gasoline fumes and god knows what else I can buy that their scents were covered. They showed fairly reasonably that when the black guy sliced his arm open like that he would have been fucked if Daryl hadn't come back to save his ass.

18. guljons

guljons Squib

A bit slow first episode, but that is what I liked to be honest. There were some suspenseful moments which were awesome for me.
    By the way- they didn't show what happened to Sophie. The gutting scene almost made me sick :awesome

19. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Think about it; can you smell somebody hiding under a car as you walk by it? In a crowd? How about a crowd of half-rotten walkers? That's the thing about zombies, they're re-animated humans. Their senses wouldn't be any sharper than your average Joe's, they'd just pay more attention to them, being single-mindedly hungry and all.

They made too big a deal about smell in the escape from Atlanta episode, imo. If you payed attention, it wasn't the smell that gave them away, at least at first. It was the fact that Glen couldn't keep his fucking mouth shut. Zombies don't talk, and, on some level, they recognize this as un-zombie-like behavior, as you could see in the ones that payed careful attention to Glen and Rick while they walked. They didn't attack right away because the combination of smell, body language (they were limping along like zombies), and sight (they looked like zombies, at least to other zombies) was sufficiently zombie-like to delay the "Braaaaiins!" response when they heard Glen's voice.

Also, logically speaking, that rain wasn't washing the gore off fast enough to cancel out the smell enough to make them stand out that way (remember, the real zombies were being rained on too, so their scents would have been equally dampened), but Rick and Glen thought it was, so they got agitated, their body language looking more human, and if I remember right, Glen still wouldn't shut the fuck up! The zombies that were already curious about them picked up on that change pretty quick and attacked, blowing their cover.

20. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

First post!

Shane did Otis dirty. They were down to the last bullet in both guns and Shane shot Otis in the leg to slow the zombie horde down.

Beyond that, hoping for more action/horror elements as opposed to everyone pissing and moaning.