1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Way of Kings

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by disposablehead, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

Thank you for this.

2. Ashan

Ashan Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

3. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's a surprise to you? This is Brandon Sanderson. The Way of Kings Part 1/2 are all part of the same 'book', it was just split into two because of the length.

5. Quick Ben

I haven't been keeping up with the news but are we going to get a new Point of View character? Especially the interlude ones, like the guy who was looking to record all the Sprens

6. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Almost certainly. We've only been through book one so far and this is going to be a ten book series. If we're lucky we'll get to have a POV chapter from the Herald that arrived at the end of the last book. He might even be a main character, though I'm not sure Sanderson would be willing to give away that much this early.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

So,if you pre-ordered from Amazon, check your email. I just got confirmation that my copy shipped!

Set hyperdrives for hype.

8. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Does anyone know if the audiobook version will be released at the same time? Are they normally?

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

10. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Mine hasn't :(

But then, I have Prime and live pretty close to a distribution center, so it'll probably ship tomorrow.

11. DonfatherBrooks

DonfatherBrooks Squib

I read words of radiance Friday night and it's a fantastic book. If your in the Uk check out waterstones as usual they put books out way before their release date.

Good start with a shock death. Shallan definitely grows on me and it's her flashbacks. Obviously don't want to spoil too much but a lot of stuff is explained such as what shardblades actually are, what was up with szeth, quite a bit about the parshendi, a lot more of adolin and a bit more of the backstory such as moash, kaladin and the king.

A lot of stuff now makes sense now. Is it as perfect as way of kings. I don't think so it's a shade below. There is more action and quite a bit of world building and explanation.

12. Quick Ben

Any interlude character from the first book expanded on?

13. DonfatherBrooks

DonfatherBrooks Squib

Szeth obviously, Nan balat gets shown through Shallan's flashbacks and rsyn gets another interlude which is already available online.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  14. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Sanderson is such a beast.. The cosmere is so huge.

And Im kinda sad I read this so early. I should have waited till it had more volumes published.

Why did Kaladin gave up the shards though? I mean its not like he could guess what Amaram would do, but surely he being stronger would make it easier to protect people?

Heres to hoping Kaladin regains his glory though, the Amaram business left a bitter taste in my mouth. He should die a painful death.

Its remarkably similar to WoT.. It even suffers the same issues: Great characters plotlines interrupted by such annoying 'hurr Im so strong and smart' womyn.

I apologize if its distasteful to bump this. I did not dare risk reading spoilers in the words of radiance thread.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He refuses the blade because he's disgusted by the effects it had on the men who died under his command. But also, and more importantly, because he finds them unnatural... and I won't say more than that, as it would spoil Radiance.

16. Innomine

High Score:
    This annoys me. I mean they're hardly comparable since the women in this book are actually competent, compared to some of the prejudiced bigots of the WoT.

I can't really say anymore because... spoilers. But have you got something against strong/smart female characters?

Ash
  17. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

As much as I think the criticisms of the female characters in WoT are overexaggerated, the female characters in this are so much better, and the problems with them in this are very different to the problems in WoT

Nae
  18. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

"Hardly comparable"? Seriously? I mean Sanderson wrote the last tree books of WoT. I know the world was pretty much established but come on, its impossible not to compare them.
    And you seem kinda protective too, as if I was insulting Way of Kings. If it seemed that way, I apologize. I happen to love WoT but that doesn't mean I can't perceive flaws in it or in its characters.

And no I'm not bothered by strong and/or smart women. Its just that in Shallan I sense the same type of entitlement and perhaps arrogancethat I have come to associate -- at least in a fantasy setting -- to a trait prominent in WoT's female characters. Its a trait I personally regard as bad. Perhaps because in some degree, I share it. Else I wouldn't be bothered by it, I suppose.

19. Nae

Nae The Violent

Go read that and come back. Sanderson's female characters, and Shallan in particular, is fucking awesome.

Ash
  20. Innomine

High Score:

Yeah, no I stand by hardly comparable. In WoT, the women were arrogant and thought they knew everything. None of the female characters in WoK share these traits. In fact, one of the most important and likeable traits about them, is their understanding of just how little they really know. Something which is emphasised throughout the entire book. I'm certainly not sure where you get arrogance or entitlement from.

If you haven't read Words of Radiance though, there's little point debating it. You can't read half of the available material then make judgements. We can discuss it after you've read WoR if you still have the same opinion.

I'm not being protective of Way of Kings either, the book has it's flaws- just not where you think they are. I think you're looking at Sanderson's association with The Wheel of Time and trying to ascribe the same failures onto the Way of Kings.