1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Wise One Trilogy by UnexpectedInspiration - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Skeletaure, May 7, 2008.

1. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Rand32085, you are absolutely right.

2. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The sixth year is mostly in the same situation as in canon, except for Harry's romantic interest and haircut.

Spoilers for chapter 2 of part 3:

Draco took the mark and the canon assignments. Harry found the story of the hallows so it seems they will return. Neville is a prefect. Hermione is in love and radiant.
    So, although it's still not slash, and it had some interesting moments, I'm disappointed.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I read this story as well as it's sequels. While there were, and are, several things I like about them I just can't seem to get into them like I can other stories.

I like the relationship Sirius has with Harry. It is not a father/son thing, nor is it like they are brothers. Perhaps favorite uncle is the best way to describe Sirius, though even that doesn't quite do it justice.

I liked the progression Harry was making in the first story and the slow changes to his character. If Harry is going to suddenly like reading in a story, this is the way to do it. Young children can be molded. It also did seem like Harry was becoming a force to be reckoned with, especially for his age. I also liked the arc with Neville, with how he was raised as the Boy Who Lived, strained under the expectations placed on him, and then found out that, oops, Dumbledore was a bit off there.

That said I still couldn't really get into it, though it was good enough I kept reading. The next 2 stories in the series I read simply because I like to see how stories end. Harry loses much of what made him interesting, he's pretending to be someone he is not, Sirius seems to lose some of his independance and drive, and it becomes more like a cliched re-write of canon.

Perhaps that is a bit too harsh.

Average rating for all 3 stories -- 3/5 stars

He has the grammar, he has the plot, he has most of the characterizations (in the first story at least). Just the writing itself isn't engaging enough. That's all I think to say to describe it.

4. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

Bumping this thread to put the fic on other people's radar and to give my own 4.5/5 rating. I stumbled upon this story while favorites list hopping and was pleasantly surprised to find a gem. It's a largely character driven story with part one being a fairly unconventional start to Harry's life and parts two and three being rehashes of years 5 through 7. However, don't let the idea of rehash dissuade you from reading it.

We do see familiar plot points and structures but they're tweaked slightly enough to give this story it's own breath and identity. There are also some major divergences from canon in the rehash that were very well done and exciting to read. As I already mentioned, the story is mostly character driven and that's where the fic really shines. The characters are fully fleshed out leaving clear distinct imprints in my mind including major characters from Harry to Dumbledore and minor characters such as Ginny and some OCs. It all combined together to form a strong, cohesive trilogy that really worked for me.

That isn't to say the fic isn't without its problems. The epilogue and particularly one character's actions at the end weren't all that great; it took a little longer than I would've liked for Harry to get into the thick of things; personal annoyance but I felt the martial arts wasn't all that necessary (and to the author's credit, this sort of thing usually has me closing the tab ASAP but it was written well enough that I endured on); and although the author's Voldemort was good to read (especially his weaknesses) I would've liked to see that one character fleshed out some more. Which isn't to say the author's Voldemort was bad, just that I feel he or she could've done better.

For those of you who, like me, are neurotic about this sort of thing, I almost immediately close a fic if I read Sirius or Remus calling Harry "pup" or "prongslet" and I'm happy to report that you'll find none of that in this story.

Anyway, all of the above make me grade this story a 4.5/5 rounded to 5 for the purposes of voting.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  5. joetheblade

joetheblade Backtraced

read this series a while a go
    really good but not brilliant so
    4/5 for me