1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Thirty Five Owls by Letterblade - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Thirty Five Owls
    Author: Letterblade
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    Words: 11,000
    Library Category: General
    Pairings: Dumbledore/Grindelwald
    Summary: (Thirty Five Owls) being a correspondence between Albus P.W.B. Dumbledore, Grand Sorcerer, etc., and the prisoner Gellert Grindelwald, of some decades in length
    Link: Link

This was a decent enough read. The story is an epistolary account of Dumbledore and Grindelwald's days after the latter's defeat, along with reminiscence of their past relationship and exploits. I don't think I've read any other story that deals with Grindelwald going insane in isolation and guilt in his last days, so the story is unique as far as I know.

First half of the story is average, but the last few letters are very good, and the ending is pretty great. The Writing quality is very good throughout. Recommended if you're bored. 3.5/5.

General Warning : While there is no drawn out sex scene, there is one paragraph of explicit-ish slash in the story. Since everything is told through letters rather than shown, it isn't nearly as much of a problem as it is in slash fics. If you cannot read slash at all, then you can skip that part. You won't miss out on much -- the truly good parts of the fic are the last few letters which focus on Voldemort, Harry and Dumbledore's approaching death.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

A little warning on the romance "scenes" next time.

The last four are really the best of the set and could probably be read as a stand alone piece.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. Stan

Stan Order Member

I marked it as Dumbledore/Grindelwald and rated it M. What did you expect?

Either way, its only one paragraph of explicit-ish sex. There is no long, drawn-out sex scene. They move on to other matters after that, like Voldemort and Harry. Really, you can just scroll down to read the last few letters. Those are good parts.

4. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

That doesn't mean you shouldn't put warnings. M doesn't mean sex, neither does pairing dude. It's just a common courtesy really. And that's what I did, you are correct in that the last few are the best of the lot.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Pretty solid. I liked Grindelwald's voice more than Dumbledore's, who came off a bit... condescending? Oblivious? Not quite sure what the right word is, but his letters didn't quite "land" right, IMO. Nice end, though. Goes big, then very understated and a nice capstone.

Not close to what I'd call a must-read, but I'm glad I read it.

3/5

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I liked this for what it was. Dumbledore felt off to me, not quite how I would expect him to sound, especially in the last few letters. But still, for what this was, it is a good 4/5

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I was in a rush and so I skipped to the last several entries. As others said, they could be read on their own as a short story.

It's not the best thing ever, but it's worth a read if you're interested in these characters at all. The last several entries I'd debate at 4/5, and a glance through the earlier ones makes me think they'd be closer to 3/5. I won't rate the thread til I've read the whole thing though.