1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Three Wizards by poufellyanah - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Palver, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Title: Three Wizards
    Author: poufellyanah
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: N/A
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 15,501
    Updated: February 23, 2010
    Published: October 23, 2009

Summary: Young Albus Dumbledore, in desperate need of a proper friend, devises a spell to bring powerful wizards to him—only, he just might have been a tad overzealous. Result: the temporal displacement of Harry Potter and Tom Riddle to the year 1912.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5461900/1/Three_Wizards

Only 2 chapters, but this fic is pretty interesting and amusing so far. Will give rating few new chapters later.

Checked by Minion, January 6, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013
  2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

Hah, much too early for a rating, but it certainly does sound like a massively entertaining circumstance.

Now it only remains to be seen if the author can make it work.

3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

No vote yet, but I like what there is. It'll be interesting to see what happens, especially considering Harry's holding all the cards since he's from the furthest in the future.

Not sure how I feel about the whole 'author switch per chapter' deal. Usually that makes for a hella hard read.

4. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

It says it brings powerful wizards so if it brought Harry it should show him as competent, and hopefully not OP'ed.

EDIT: Wandless magic is meh. I'm not too bothered as Harry sorted stated he only knows the basics of a lot of it.

Yes, yes! Just yesterday I created an absolutely revolutionary spell designed to seek out the most powerful wizards and bring them to meet me!"
    He paused to see the effect of his words.

Sounds a bit easy, but I suppose it could have taken a while to research.

Lolz at Dumbledore just wanting friends though but the line "So shall we be friends?" line was a bit annoying.

Overall I like it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  5. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Far too early to review significantly, but it's fun so far. I like the idea of interactions between intelligent characters that are extremely different.

6. Darje

Darje Groundskeeper

I want moar!

I love that Harry has the upper hand over Dumbledore in this, usually it's quite the reverse.

(holding off on rating until more chapters are posted)

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting premise, okay writing (if a bit passive voice), but... they've turned Dumbledore into a pathetic emo. He has the emotional stability of a teenage girl.

8. Oneiros

Oneiros Groundskeeper

Meh, I figure at this point in Dumbledore's life he may have been a bit emo. His sister is dead (indirectly or directly because of him), brother hates him, and the boy he supposedly loves (or at the very least is his first friend on his intellectual level) is starting his own uprising.

Also, I find this fic to be fun for the whole family! Honestly, I love the fact that Harry (the traveling wizard, master of death, and lover of books) lets the most accomplished dark lord in history live just because it might be a bit more entertaining than the stuff he has been involved in post-Voldemort defeat.

9. Inert

Inert Headmaster

The premise is certainly interesting and the situation will make for some undoubtedly funny moments.

Harry beating Riddle with a stick of all things was properly hilarious, and the idea of Harry having the upper hand here is appealing.

The only concern that I have is that with two authors writing this, the continuity and flow might be disjointed, though it seems to be okay so far.

No rating yet as it's only 2 chapters but it looks good.

10. sangmtr

sangmtr Squib

fresh idea, good writing ..... ergo chances of completion = very little.
    let us enjoy what chapters we get !

11. Garrus

Garrus Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I laughed hard at seeing Young:Voldemort get really pissed after Dumbledore rejects him for DADA job. I'm enjoying it a lot. Needs a little bit more content before its rated, but its off to a great start.

12. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    This may be my new favourite line from a fanfic. As for the story, interesting enough, and well written, but it's more in the potential than anything. I'd read more though.

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Great potential here. It is a bit early to rate, but if it keeps up at this pace it should easily make 4/5 for me.

I also like Harry having the upper hand as well as having all 3 of these characters shown in a new light. Interesting interactions, and yeah, Harry beating him with a stick is hilarious.

The only thing is that Voldemort doesn't seem quite as dangerous as I think he should at this age. He comes off as petulant to me. It actually works great for the story, it just feels off.

Look forward to more ;P

14. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

Too short.

15. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Well, this story has the usual signs of stories that I try to stay away from, like all Weasleys being small-minded jerks with the only possible exception that is Fred and George. Also, I do not believe that Dumbledore, with 30, would do something as stupid as forcing two of the most powerful wizards to come to his time and place with no means of them returning, not unless he felt he was in a mood to fight someone and here he clearly wasn't.

Also, I do not appreciate a story where Harry can intimidate Dumbledore with a simple look, even if Harry "mastered" the Deathly Hollows, whatever that means, a thirty year old Dumbledore is >>>> then a thirty year old Harry

Not going to rate it but I won't follow this story either.

16. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I think it's been done quite well considering its not just one person writing this. Yes there are obvious character flaws in Dumbledore and Riddle but I think it kinda adds to the story. The writing itself is pretty solid and there aren't many things that bothered me with the short amount written thus far.

Of course this could all change depending on how the future chapters play out but it looks to be promising.

17. Sooner90

Sooner90 Groundskeeper

Great idea, good writing and characterization. If the writing continues to be this effusive, then it might get annoying at some point. Especially with Dumbledore's character, but still good.

18. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

huh, thought I commented on it last week.

Good, Very good even, but not complete enough to rate. Give me two more chapters and then we'll talk.

19. Brown

Brown Third Year

No actual plot yet, only premise...but definite potential.

20. happilyeverafter

happilyeverafter Sixth Year

It looks like a good story in the making, certainly an original idea. I'll have more to say when it's updated.