1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

WIP To the Stars by Hieronym - T - Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Serious_Business, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Darth

Darth Third Year

450k Words. Wow, that's a lot. But now that I've read it - Wow! That is not enough!

I love the world-building. To many people, they may think that there is a lot of filler or that the story meanders quite a bit but this is one of the very few stories where I loved the extraneous details. Well nearly. I am much more invested in Ryouko's side of the story than those from others' point-of-view but those are few and far between, luckily. The more I read the story the more everything seems to be coming together. All those hints in the earlier chapters, all those questions that I wondered.

Ugh, I'm not sure I can articulate my thoughts on this story very well, so I may come back with an edit. I've only read up to the second arc and I don't want to read further for two reasons. Firstly, I'm terrified the author will abandon it, and the current point is a good place to stop. Secondly, I'd rather binge a whole host of new chapters together and, hopefully re-read the earlier ones if I get the time.

This is one of the best stories I have read - if only because of the world it is set in, the story that is being told and the many ideas that I've been able to consider or had to consider. For example, I went back and forth, as I was reading the story and finding new things out, on whether it was acceptable for this supposed-utopian society to be forcing ten year old girls into a war, when the minimum age-requirement was otherwise 100.

Ah, one negative point. The relatively new pairing. Off-putting. I liked Ryouko because all the romance stuff washed over her. I was hoping it wasn't going to happen.

Secondly, there are quite a lot of (minor or otherwise) plot-threads some of them seemed to have tapered off. (For example, Simona's past seemed sketchy, but perhaps it was a deliberate red herring? Also, the grief-seeds mystery was hardly brought up in the second arc). But, based on how things have gone so far I have faith in the author.

This is a 5/5 for me in terms of all stories and novels I have ever read because it also altered my perspective on the world (or perhaps, reaffirmed it).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. Download

Download Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I watched PMMM for the first time last week and immediately went looking for PMMM fics. I initially passed this story up because it was OC heavy and seemed so far into PMMM's future that it might was well not having anything to do with PMMM. So glad I couldn't track down any good fics and came back to this. I read through all 630k words in about three days (and may have flunked a piece of uni work because of it).

The good:
    • The author has clearly written this with a lot of planning. Long plot arcs are getting resolved (as new ones open up) and tie together in a manner that could only be achieved with careful planning.
    • The world is detailed and has done a pretty good job at looking at a transhumanist society.
    • The world isn't perfect. Far too many stories in the future have the world created exactly match up with the author's belief system.
    • Everyone is flawed and a lot of poor wishes are made.
    The bad:
    • The world was once described as "libertarian". No way. It certainly has a technolibertarian bent in some areas but it's certainly not libertarian. Other things like economic theory (just throwing out words like capitalists to describe things) need to be research and/or described better.
    • The divine purpose plot line is a bit annoying. Mostly in regards to how secretive Madoka is being yet at the same time showing the MC more than anyone else.
    It helps that I read this with PMMM songs going.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I'm re-reading the first few chapters because I rushed them in an effort to decide if the fic was readable.

I'm concerned about the socio-political situation:
    • You can't join the military (magical girls excepted) unless you're 100.
    • You can't become a colonist without 30 years military service (effectively until you're 130).
    • Overpopulation is a serious issue so they issue child licences.
    This does not make sense.