1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Travian

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Ched, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Anyone here play the browser game Travian? I tried it a few months ago when I was in California, but I found out quickly that it's really only much fun if you are playing with a group of people who can support you. Otherwise you just get your ass handed to you a bit later on. As an added bonus though I think each game of Travian actually ends.

I'm looking for a browser game that I can get into that won't require constant monitoring and that I at least know 3+ others that I can say hey to regarding the game.

If we have a few people here interested we could pick a new server and give Travian a try for a while, win or lose. Or I can move on elsewhere.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Dear lord. That game becomes super super super time consuming. It is also a shit load of fun. You might think that you can just play for a couple hours a day, but the thing is... it gets more and more complex and demands more and more time on your end. Micromanaging one village is nice, but when you start getting multiple cities, have to coordinated 23 separate attacks with your alliance a day, it gets a bit dicey. And note, if you wish to win, you have to be in synch with your alliance w/coordinating attacks. Like, you can't be more than a minute out of sync. Thats only end game though... so you should be fine for 1.5 months or so.

Starting late in a round sucks. By that time theres gonna be a giant kingdom within 5 hours of attack... and it sucks when you come out of protection and a massive army comes and levels your entire city. You become what they call a farm, and you can't do shit against that unless you have friends nearby who are buff. But that requires a shit ton of cajoling on the forums etc, so I'd recc not starting in a server thats more than 2 weeks old, unless its to just make friends for the next round.

Don't play this game. It just does not scale well past a month. Try a friendlier game like Utopia, shadowmere, archspace, the5pillars(archmage).

Utopia, because they reward you for not logging in more than 20 hours. That means you won't be logging in like a crack addict, unless your alliance is at war.

Shadowmere+thefivepillars(archmage) because they're turned based and you won't be required to login more than 1x a day unless your join a blitz server.

3. Immie

Immie First Year

Agreed. If you truly want to approach the upper limits of the game, you need at least five duals spread over the world and willing to blow 1k gold/week. But if you just want a feel of the game, do NOT try the speed servers. I've known people who didn't sleep for the first 72 hours of the server to micromanage and farm.

4. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

If you're looking for another persistent browser game, check out Cybernations. DLP has an alliance/clan called the Global Order of Darkness, and we rock if I do say so myself.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Ok, thanks all! I hadn't realized Travian would get so time-consuming in end-game, so I'm glad I didn't try to get into that again.

I'm gonna check out the games suggested by Dvo and Oz instead. Cheers.

6. DvorakQ

Check out Cybernations, I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to browser games (last played one about 3-4 years ago, and that was travian ;b)

www.mpogd.com lists a lot of browser and their game of the month section is pretty good at helping narrow down games to check out. Looks like population of the games I mentioned earlier have died off a lot.

Personally, I'm looking for a browser game as well. My 2 major caveats: Must have an ending/restart of <6 months, needs active player population of >1,000 a day. Anyone got any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Pfft, Ogame is the best browser game.

8. DvorakQ

Looks decently fun, which server are you in?

9. Gullible

Gullible Headmaster

Sitting in front of a broken compooter, lolololol
    Gave it up a long time ago because my alliance fell apart, but I was uni 36 and I still get the pull to go back and play again every now and again. The problem with it is that you start planning your life around it, which doesn't work well. If you wanna try it I'd suggest the newest uni because then you won't be up against too many established players.