1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Complete Weapon of the Times - M - Halo/RvB

Discussion in 'Other Review Board' started by CaptainFlowers, Nov 29, 2017.

1. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Third Year DLP Supporter

Title: Weapon of the Times - I
    Author: starkraving
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Action
    Pairing: None
    Fandom: Halo/RvB
    Chapter: 3
    Words: 10,800

Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1059083/chapters/2122280

Summary: Remember that it was a time of war, that you were made for war, that you were made exceptionally well for war. But, if nothing else remember this: Maine is not your first code name. You should tell your story from the start -- let's begin with the SPARTAN-II Program.

I linked above the first part of this AMAZING trilogy, but the whole thing is complete too. This is my first submitted choice to the library and I was kinda surprised to not see this floating around.

I love this series for a lot of reasons. It takes a near mechanical character, gives him a weathered soul, and somehow still keeps him in character. The author doesn't do some OOC crap, and with the set up established, makes Maine's actions very much believable. To enjoy this story you don't need to understand Red vs Blue or Halo. If you got the basic premise of aliens killing humans and big fuckin' soldiers in armor fighting back, you'll understand it more or less. It's by no means nice and cuddly or sweet. It shows the horrors of fighting an enemy completely inhuman and utterly superior in terms of technology.

starkraving takes a character with no backstory and gives him a backstory that feels legitimate. With the way this is written, I honestly think if someone didn't know anything about Halo and suddenly dived in they would think this is canon. It's good. Hell, it's even great. The story doesn't follow through the main events in the show - instead, it focuses on the making of Maine. It goes all the way to the point where he's given Sigma, and then ends. This is a prelude, an intro - and it fucking works.

I didn't much think someone could mesh RvB and Halo really well. RvB's characters are extremely humorous - but by focusing on Maine/The Meta, starkraving somehow manages to give some otherwise boring character a semblance of a personality beneath his helmet.

Plus, it's written in the second person and done extremely well!

I highly recommend this, and in all honesty, think it should be in the library. Give it a read, it's amazing.

PS: Personally, the second and third parts are by far my favorites. It won't take long to get through part one, as it's only ten thousand words or so. I ask that you review this series as a whole, and not in disassembled parts.

All Books of the Series:

Weapon of the Times - II
    Remember that it was a time of war, that you were made for war, that you were made exceptionally well for war. But, if nothing else remember this: They lied to you. They cannot teach you of war. There is a solider with a cat on his shoulder and battle rifle in his hands. And there is blood in the street and beneath your boots and this is what they say you are made for.

Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1081535/chapters/2174061

Weapon of the Times - III
    Remember that it was a time of war, that you were made for war, that you were made exceptionally well for war... and remember that they were too. The middle of your story is still a war story but in this chapter is not just about you. They called themselves Freelancers. They called you Maine.

Link: http://archiveofourown.org/works/1254448/chapters/2581927