1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

When You Just Don't Get the Hype

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by LittleChicago, Apr 25, 2016.

1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You're not the only one. Imagine if LotR was written today and brought to a publisher for consideration. It's a slog. Hobbit is probably Tolkien's best work.

2. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm just saying to all you Walking Dead haters: the latest season finale destroys everything. It is quite possibly the most exquisitely brutal thing I have ever watched and if you didn't carry on with the show to reach that point, you have made a grave error that should be rectified before the next season starts.

3. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    I know right. Hobbit was relatively bearable in comparison to the other books, and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks LotR was over-rated.

4. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just want to pfffffffft this. Firefly. In a heartbeat.

Back on topic, so many things already mentioned here.

Dresden Files, Game of Thrones, Percy Jackson, The Wheel of Time, any of Wildbow's stuff.

Any anime.

Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, the Walking Dead.

I did actually like those last two for a little while but then I realised that it was just going to be the same 3 tropes over and over.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Worm, A Black Comedy, Dresden Files, Wheel of Time, Buffy, Naruto, Bleach, cape-flicks (Avengers and the like), Pokemon, RWBY, Avatar, Star Wars TFA, Percy Jackson, Frozen, How To Train Your Dragon and Star Trek: Voyager.

There's more, but these ones come to mind first.

6. Helianza

Helianza Squib

High Score:
    I completely understand what you mean. I think that when somebody highly recommended a TV show / movie, it raised your expectations, and therefore made it harder for it to grab your interest. For example, GOT was definitely over-sold to me, with a lot of people strongly advising me to watch it and promising I would be addicted by the end of the firs episode ... I was so hyped that when I got around to watching it, I was disappointed by the flaws I saw, the pacing and shifts in POV which didn't suit my preferences. Were I to have watched it with no prompting, I think my attitude would have been different !

7. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

The Mass Effect series. I finally rented the game since everyone talks about it, and thought it was terrible.

8. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Kingkiller Chronicle. I got 50 pages in and stopped. Never picked it back up. Never wanted to.

Lord of the Rings. Loved the movies, can't stand the books.

Firefly. I've owned the DVDs for about 3 years now. I've watched one episode.

In non-genre fare, the Sopranos and The Wire. Both had their moments, but if I wasn't watching them, I wasn't thinking about them, either.

9. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Like some people said, LotR, the books. Tolkien's dialogue has some amazing smoments, but its filled with awkward and oomg worded conversations, unecessary descriptions, name-droppings without explanation and drags on several times. The books are much better ro be enjoyed IMO.

Wildblow's stuff. His non-Worm stuff was a sacrifice to read, and Worm quickly got over the top and ridiculous.

Civilization, the most boring game I ever had to play.

RWBY feels much more like rhe project of a series than an actual series.

Attack on Titan. Frankly it feels like someone took Mad Max, added Spiderman shit and kepr gojng Grimderp. The characters were annoying as fuck too.

Naruto. After the timeskip completely lost interest.

Dragnball Z. Meh,can't see the fun.