1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 7 beta?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Jamven, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Jamven

Jamven Headmaster DLP Supporter

Apparently Microsoft is going to release the Windows 7 beta to the public tomorrow to the first 2.5 million downloads.

The download should be able to be found on this page.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/default.aspx

So, anyone thinking about seeing if Microsoft can redeem themselves? Also, does anyone know if Windows 7 is going to the it's title when it ships?

2. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

The beta has already been leaked on various torrent sites. From what I'm hearing, it's tons better than Vista.

Imma try downloading this legit version tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it. <_<

3. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

While the fact that Microsoft is finally admitting the faults and overall failures of vista is nice, we must also remember that Vista was in Beta for over two years. So lets all keep our pant's on k.

4. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Wow they're moving quick. I did not expect another OS so soon. Is Vista doing that poorly? (I hope so.)

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Vista was pure crap.

This is looking... eh. The new taskbar looks just like the dock on macs.

Most of the features like the popup thing that changes as you mouseover looks pretty clunky.

There is nothing new or original to do with computing really. Its all just more of the same. Sure, maybe a bit of advancement on previous features. The only thing that does look cool is the touch screen feature. Something which I am looking forward to coming out from macs.

I remain unimpressed. I'll definitely be sticking with mac.

6. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

[​IMG]

7. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

IIRC, Windows 7 isn't supposed to be some huge leap forward in terms of computing.

From Wikipedia;

8. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Its also supposed to be a trasitional operation system between the NT line and a product based upon Singularity (utilizing largely the .Net framework).

How much faster is it anyways?

9. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

Keys are up, gogo.

10. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

I gots me one. It actually looks pretty good. But downloading take forever.

11. Jamven

Got me keys for both the 32 and 64bit versions. Though I heard later that the 64bit keys will work on the 32bit version.

You can actually get 4 or 5 keys by pressing the back button once your download starts. Though they did start repeating themselves.

edit

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  12. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I've got myself 3-4 keys each (not that it'll do me any good...), but I can't seem to get the download to start. :( Bloody Microshit, hating on the Linux users.

13. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Militis: You have to use IE. I just used IE tab in FireFox, and it worked fine for me.

14. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

You need IE installed in order to use IE tab. Linux users won't be able to use this method unless they somehow have the Trident Rendering engine installed in linux.

An easier method is to install this IE adaptation for Linux: http://www.tatanka.com.br/

15. Jangel

Jangel Earl of Someshit

This shit is the motherfucking sex. Vista at XP speeds om nom nom.

16. Hahukum Konn

Hahukum Konn Fourth Year

I got my mitts on it and am testing on a middle-of-the-road box by today's standards (an A64 X2 4600+ w/ Geforce 7600GS), and I've got to say, some of the things they changed are already quite nice. Being able to change screen resolutions with one right-click and a click, as well as the more granular user access control.

17. Jamven

Download squad ( http://www.downloadsquad.com/ ) has a couple of post that contain direct links to the .iso files. I am not sure if that helps you any...

----

:( Automerge Doublepost :(

My inpressions of the operating system so far...

I have been running the 64bit beta for a couple of hours now. So far so good, I haven't run into any really serious problems. The only real problem I encountered was getting my copy of Fallout 1 (yes I said 1) to play correctly without graphical anomalies. Right click -> Properties -> Compatibility seems to have fixed that.

Total install time took me 20-25 minutes. No problems. Windows 7 was actually able to find and install the drivers that I needed for my Ethernet, Motherboard, and Graphics. It remains to be seen how it performs with "older" hardware.

Once inside, I took a minute to just stare at the desktop before me. It looks like the new taskbar was made with touchscreen interface in mind. You can change the taskbar to not combine the icons when there are multiple instance of an application running.

It almost looks like they are going for a docket type taskbar without actually making it into a docket.

Cool feature is when you are dragging a window around the screen. If you move it to the left or right, it will eventually get to the edge of the screen and display the window on which ever side you dragged the window. If you drag it to the top of your screen, it will maximize the window. Hard to explain, I'll post a picture in a minutes.

Dragging the window.
    http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z65/PsychoSloth/Windows 7/DesktopExample1.jpg

The end result
    http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z65/PsychoSloth/Windows 7/DesktopExample2.jpg

The show desktop button has been moved to the far right of the taskbar. If you hover over it, it sends you back to the desktop. Once you move your mouse, it snaps back to the window you were in.

I have had no problem installing any of the applications that I have installed thus far...
    7-zip, Avast 4.8, Firefox, CCleaner, CDBurnerXP, VirtualClone Drive, foobar, Firefox, Foxit Reader, Open Office, and Whatpulse.

I think that this Operating System is what Vista was suppose to be. Everything is neater, tighter and faster than it was in Vista. I haven't done any test yet, but everything seems to move faster than it did in XP as well. It seems that Microsoft might have finally got their act together... for now

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  18. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Vista isn't actually that bad once you go to SP1 and run through disabling all the unneeded services guys. It's not the bullshit that one MS fanboy made it out to be, but I've had it running for a bit now, and I'm picky as fuck and happy with it once I found a hack to run disable driver signing.

Unless you're running a shitty PC that is, it is a fucking resource hog period, on a lower end one I can see where it's crippling. Running my normal load out with the tweaks I made Vista is going at 70 processes, with 1.33gb of physical Ram used when running Utorrent and Firefox. To be fair though, it's only using 5% of the CPU. Memory hog yes, I could turn off prefetching and get some more RAM freeded up, but the OS just feels faster with it there, even if it's purely mental.

That being said, Vista at release took dozens of hacks to make it run worth a shit, support was pathetic for the 64bit version, no one had drivers ready, but hell certain companies are still disabling their drivers or crippling them (CREATIVE you fucks) for use on Vista unless you buy thier ultra expensive line of products and blaming it on MS.

Bottom line, I got a kick out of the Mojave experiment, it was horrible at first, but 87628717239386733893 patches later, it's useable, but XP still does it better, mostly because DX10 was a bullshit move that offered nothing worthwhile, and that really was the only reason worth upgrading was the anticipation that companies en masse would swap to dx10 and you'd be forced to upgrade. It's not as bad as everyone still thinks it is. You just have to play with it and have a decent PC

19. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Thanks for that! I got 'em downloaded finally.

Got any links for tweaks you did to make Vistcrap not so crap anymore?

20. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff