1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Winter 2016 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

The Winter 2016 season is fast approaching. The list of anime coming out, along with their air dates, can be found here.

The season is surprisingly packed for me, though I imagine that will change within the first few weeks (I tend to drop a lot of shows). In terms of popularity, Durarara!!x2 Ketsu and the second season of Assassination Classroom are taking the lead, with Hai to Gensou no Grimgar following close behind. (which is impressive, as I hadn't even heard of it until I saw the PV). Gate is getting a second season, which many people are getting excited about. I didn't finish the first season, so I don't really care. Four of the anime coming out this season are VN adaptions, which means I need to go play all of them so I can have strong opinions about them on the internet.

The anime I'm most excited for is Ajin, despite its animation style looking like complete and utter shit. Something about it tickles my fancy.

Anyway, what anime are you most looking forward to this season? What are you planning on watching?

2. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

Gate and Durarara.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū (I like the animation style in the trailer), Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei (it's an original thing and is directed by Goro Tanaguchi), and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (the story synopsis makes it seem like a good mystery) are the only two I will be watching the first few episodes of. Nothing else really grabbed me.

Edit: And the new Lupin III, which is going to be on Crunchyroll.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Shit. Ajin is getting an anime? That will get pretty gory pretty quickly.

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Hai to gensou no Grimgar sounds interesting and maybe Schwarzesmarken. Rest doesn't sound all that interesting.

And had no idea that Itachi was getting his own anime.

6. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like there's been more of a gap between last season and this one than usual; Am I imagining it?

Looking forward to Ajin, but I think the majority of this season is kinda of a "Evaluate and see" deal. Lots of stuff that might turn out good.

However, this -

"The story of the light novel series revolves around Lux, a former prince of an empire named Arcadia that was overthrown via a rebellion five years earlier. Lux accidentally trespasses in a female dormitory's bathing area, sees the kingdom's new princess Lisesharte naked, and incurs her wrath. Lisesharte then challenges Lux to a Drag-Ride duel. "

God fucking dammit. How many of these do we need? We had like three of them last season.

7. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    First half of Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans ended well imo other than one really creepy scene, so I'm looking forward to the show moving forward (and hopefully not trying to make an adult man and 11 year old child be a romantic thing because wat)

8. douglas14141

douglas14141 Squib

I hope really Ajin comes out looking better than the trailer. Otherwise Boku Dake ga Inai Machi looks like it could be interesting, and more Durarara is always nice. I may watch the Itachi series as well depending on what I hear about it.

9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Heard lots of good things about the Boku Dake ga Inai Machi manga.

Apart from that, looks like a the usual sort of stuff that could be decent, but will probably be shit. Will just have to wait and see.

Continuing Iron Blooded Orphans and Haikyuu from last season.

Need to get up to date on Durarara!! X2. I loved the first season, but I found myself not really enjoying the second as a weekly watch, and put it on hold.

10. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

There's a decent amount of shows that sound interesting enough to give a shot, but the only ones I'm really looking forward to are Musaigen no Phantom World and Koyomimonogatari.

11. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I'm defintely watching a Madhouse sports anime centered around running.

12. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

The first episode of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi was really good. I didn't really have any expectations at all beforehand, but it's probably had the strongest start of any show so far this season.

Of course, it's only been 2 days.

13. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Ajin and Boku Dake ga Inai Machi sounds interesting

14. TMNTurtwig

TMNTurtwig Professor

Nothing here for me, I'll give Prince of Stride a shot since Madhouse is the studio though.

15. Chadrew

Chadrew Second Year

I do love wish fulfillment world transfer harem stories, so naturally I'm going to watch Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! starting on Jan 13. It is more of a parody of said type of story, so it should be pretty entertaining.

Unfortunately, this particular Chinese cartoon is made by DEEN, which usually means production values are going to be shit.

16. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Saw the first episode of Prince of Stride. It was pretty fun. Let's hope it continues like this

17. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

First episode of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi was really strong. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

First episode Prince of Stride was also pretty cool. Does all the right things a sports anime should do to quickly get you into it. Also, more than just running, this is half parkour too, which is pretty cool. Hope those aspects get more of a focus as it goes on.

18. Omegasaxon

Omegasaxon Squib

Someone told me its not slated till the Spring season, but Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress looks absolutely incredible.

19. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

First episode of Myriad Colors Phantom World was kick ass. Great art, great MC, great premise.

20. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

So, the first week of the season is done. Here's the shows I watched.

Really enjoyed (Probably watching the whole show):
    Boku dake ga Inai Michi
    Gate
    HaruChika
    Koyomimonogatari
    Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu​

Give it the 3 episode rule:
    Active raid
    Ao no Kanata
    Dagashi Kashi
    Dimension W
    Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
    Koukaku no Pandora
    Musaigen no Phantom World
    Sekkou Boys
    Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu​

Not even worth 3 episodes:
    Bubuki Buranki
    Divine Gate
    Norn9
    Tabi Machi Late Show (Why did I watch this?)​

Also watching Ojisan to Marshmellow and Oshiete! Galko-chan as shorts. Both seem amusing enough that they'd have to take a serious downturn for me to drop them. (Given how small the time commitment is)

If someone wanted to watch only a couple shows this season, I'd recommend Boku dake ga Inai Michi (psychological/suspense), Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (realistic drama), and maybe HaruChika (music/slice of life/school).

Did I miss anything worth watching myself?