1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Winter Sunlight by Undertree33 - R

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by andreicy, Aug 18, 2006.

1. andreicy

andreicy Guest

Title: Winter Sunlight
    Author: Undertree33
    Rating: R
    Genre: Mystery/Action/Romance (no mushyness)
    Pairing: Harry/Narcissa Malfoy
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 46782
    Published: February 29, 2004
    Updated: April 22, 2004

Summary: London, early 21st century. The war is won. Voldemort is dead. But the scars still remain.
    In a world increasingly unfavorable to pure-bloods and suspected death-eater sympathizers, a series of murders in London brings the best aurors to investigate. And during the investigation, the auror Harry Potter runs into a suspect, one Narcissa Malfoy, and begins something that neither of them ever dreamed possible. Meanwhile, Harry's partner Neville Longbottom meets his new neighbor. Who also happens to be an old friend from his school days - Cho Chang.
    Link: http://www.fictionalley.org/authors/undertree33/WS01.html

All I can say about this is that IMO it`s one of the best fics I know of... The author`s writing style is quite good, with very few gram. errors, and best of all, it`s cliche free (except for one that we only find out about in a dream/memory thingy)

The Harry/Narcissa is well done (one of, if not the best I`ve seen), we also have Ginny dying, rare Ron & Herman appearances, a dark atmosphere, and a Harry free of bitching and moaning, and with quite a dark side to him...

Just give this story a chance and try to get to the end, it`ll be worth it...

P.S. One AU element, but don`t fret, it`s nothing OOC or sloppy...

Checked by Minion, Nov. 22, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Apparently the story was either deleted or the link doesnt work peoperly..

3. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Can someone find the link?

I've read it before half-way and it was pretty good.

4. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

What's wrong with the link? It works fine for me.

5. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

The link he gave works fine for me.

Alright, well for some reason I just could not get into it, no glaring errors that really annoyed me, but I simply could not get into it.

I might try again later, but for now the story just did not grab me, could be because I am not a big fan of post-Voldemort stories, but meh, just my initial impressions

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  6. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Something about this I didnt like. I'm not exactly sure what it is either. I just kept getting bugged by something. I'll probably try read it again sometime in the future.

7. ulkser

ulkser Groundskeeper

the link is not working. can you put it again?

8. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Dont know why the link is discriminating against certain people but it still hasnt worked for me..

9. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

That's odd, try copying and pasting the link into your browser if just clicking on it doesn't work.
    Other than that I am not sure what you could do

10. Griever

Griever Guest

Great story. I remember reading it a longer while back, and while I don't exactly like the sort of ending it's got it fits the melancholy mood being set by the author perfectly.

One of the least far-fetched Harry/Narcissa fics out there, with a more somber look at the aftermath of the war and possible ... side effects.

11. Nexus

Nexus Denarii Host

Not likely Xiph. I read Vash's fics after all.

12. bmatsea

bmatsea Squib

isn't this the one where neville is a drug user and a cop?

13. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

Just countering some neglect here.

This story is disappointing, but only because it had the potential to be so good. The author is highly literate, and excels at creating images and scenes that are nearly poetic (sometimes too much so). The mood of the story is noir-ish and bleak, and anyone who likes reading about a jaded Auror!Harry solving mysteries will probably like it.

At the center of the story is a murder mystery that Harry, Neville, and Sirius are investigating. Harry takes up with Narcissa and Neville with Cho, and the relationships end up being important to the investigation. The Harry/Narcissa relationship is really well done.

There are a couple major problems though. The author frequently goes overboard in trying to create an atmosphere of bleak profundity (think Morgan Freeman in Se7en; Neville is a drug addict and womanizer, for Christ's sake), and I almost quit reading several times. I kept going because the mystery was so intriguing, which led to the second major problem. There's not enough resolution here. We find out who the culprit is in the big murder investigation, but the motives of the villain remain unsatisfyingly mysterious.

tl;dr - This one had the potential to be great, but there are too many unanswered questions, and you'll either love the style or hate it.

3/5

14. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Given Mike's post I'd like this to be given another look over before I throw it back in the Library.