1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Wit of the Raven by japanese-jew - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by ip82, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

Your story has really progressed in both quality and substance since those first two chapters.... but there was obviously something to those beginning chapters that hooked me, and others, even if you feel they were mediocre.

2. Learn.Patience

Learn.Patience Squib

With all due respect, where I grew up, every third word was fuck, shit or damn at age 11. I did live in the city with the highest Teen Pregnancy Rate in Australia however.
    Yeah, I realise I just posted two years after the original comment, but I wanted to say how much I liked this story, which is a lot.
    I'd probably say that it's the best HP story I've ever read so far, even if it never finishes.

3. Scott

Scott Professor DLP Supporter

Have you ever read Harry Potter and The Wastelands of Time by Joe?

4. Learn.Patience

Learn.Patience Squib

No I have not. Time to investegate!:)

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This is one of my favorites, too. So much win in this story.

6. Kerrus

Kerrus DA Member

You're getting angry at something someone said two years ago?

7. ab546122

ab546122 Backtraced

I got lost amid the sea of new ideas. Too much ideas are bad. They ruin the flow yo, like trying to do tae bo while trying to row on a [something that rhymes]

Off topic but what happened to IP82? Is he still active?

8. turtle7

turtle7 Backtraced

This story is too frigid it seems in trying to keep some sort of new magical structure of knowledge forced into the reader constantly active and solidified.

But a good read nonetheless, better if it were still active.

9. Ledivin

Ledivin Squib

I loved nearly everything about this story. The cussing was a bit excessive, and Hermione seemed a bit OOC. It really is a huuuuge shame this is abandoned (at least I'm assuming so...). Wonderful story, wonderful new ideas, and the plot was starting to get interesting.

Good work, this is an easy 5/5 for me.

10. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

Just updated it. Not gonna lie, I'm pretty rusty and it hasn't been completely betaed, but I figured it was better to get something out today than to let it stay abandoned until the two-year mark had passed.

11. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Holy crap - you live!

As far as the chapter goes, I liked it. It's nice to see that some real progress was made in some ways (e.g. the start of the "Dream Team" or whatever). And your modified version of the canon troll story was entertaining enough.

Actually, my only real complaints are story-external - like the estimated completion date, which is probably at some point in 2025. Keep up the good work, though, and thanks for the update.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    SPIT TAKE.

SPIT TAKE.

UPDATE?????

Damn, I'm impressed.

13. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Fuck games, fuck finding a soul mate.
    Get out the quill and ink and update.

That is a poem to express my need for another update.

I really really like this story. So much originality, especially in Hogwarts.

14. Kerfitd

Kerfitd First Year

Basically what Skykes said. One of the best stories I've read in quite a lot of time. Your Hermione is... well just take your 5/5 and go write the next update.

15. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hee hee - I do like your Hermione, although she's clearly insane. But in a good way.

16. Nicholas

Nicholas Muggle

Japanese-jew hasn't posted anything new for beta-ing yet.
    I'll contact him to know whether the story is being written or not (but from what I collected, he's rather busy).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  17. Rumbleroar

Rumbleroar Seventh Year

That would be pretty awesome. I would love to see this continue, though I can understand shit coming up.

18. Sageun

Sageun Fourth Year

I'm so glad I found this. Pure :awesome

By far the most win is this conversation between Harry and Hermione:
    Bold is Hermione (emphasis mine).

I love the whole Circle idea. It seems logical that wizards and witches (considering they have, you know, magic) would have some form of internet.

Even the elements that seem terribly cliché today but I assume weren't in 2006 come off as original. I mean, of course, stuff like Harry having a staff instead of a wand.

Anyway, I really hope the next update is much faster in coming, because I really want to read more right now.

19. kmfrank

kmfrank Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I enjoyed this story as well.

The magic system detailed here - while, I certainly admit, is confusing and not as in-depth as I'd like to completely understand the commonly used Jak and Tor spells - is really interesting and fun. It's different - this is placed in the Alternate's section for a reason, after all - but I think the author is introducing some excellent elements without either the system or Harry being entirely too overpowered.

I believe that the criticisms of Hermione joining the team while having Neville, Daphne, and Hannah on the outs aren't well founded; as portrayed, most of these are essentially new characters with familiar names - Hermione's mouth being on illustrative example of a big difference. If JJ can play it off as interesting (and hopefully still keep some bit of rivalry between the two going), I'm supportive of it. I would definitely like to see more of the Daphne character he's crafting here, as the "Hunter of Sentient beings" is a nice morally ambiguous profession that is ripe for all kinds of juicy conflicts.

I'm fairly ignorant of program design and coding, so I can't speak much to the bit about "Circles" and how they're like programming a computer, but in my ignorance I understood enough basics to get it and move on.

All in all, good enough writing to keep me interested, good enough universe to keep me reading - hopefully some action and plot advancement will turn this into a true masterpiece.

Looking to see more!

Kevin