1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards in Space

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by deathinapinkboa, Apr 13, 2011.

1. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

Earth is so limiting and magic is limitless.

Has anyone found any stories about Harry Potter and friends colonizing Mars or doing other forms of space exploration?

It would be really cool to read about the full power of HP Magic used in the greater universe.

2. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

3. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I doubt this can be done well. Well enough to interest DLP, at least.

Nonjon's fic is different. Crossovers already set the stage for HP. You just have to help him "adjust".

4. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Pretty much.

If it was a fusion (a complete blend compared to a 'plug and play' crossover), it'd be a lot more complicated, but essentially this.

Also, doesn't electricity get screwed over by magic?

Shuttle, meet a wizard. Wizard, meet a - *boom*

5. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be honest, a wizard could essentially use a warming charm, a bubble-head charm and a broom to fly to the moon. Nothing in canon refutes this except for the fact that we know they haven't.

6. Portus

Portus Heir

Not really. There's no canon evidence of technology being screwed up by even several wizards in one place, e.g. 14 witches and wizards in the Dursley kitchen at the beginning of DH. This isn't Dresden's magic system, and it was stated that the reason technological things didn't work at Hogwarts was because of the high concentration of magic there. Not likely to be the case in a rocket scenario.

One could argue that once a large contingent of wizards were in place on, say, Mars, their daily lives would eventually saturate that colony with magic, but IMO, that would be such a long process that they'd adapt their technology to avert disruptions along the way.

7. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

Space haven

Harry and friends are forced to colonize a space haven left by the ancients, and that about covers the crossover part.

It's rather well written if I remember correctly and kept me interested enough to finish it. The colonization itself is pretty well done and covers topics that were intriguing, like establishing a common currency, providing food and lots of other things.

8. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Most HP & Stargate crossovers would more or less fit what you asked. Here are a few good ones. An Ancients Journey, Fighting the Gods, and the vintage story by Shezza Harry Potter and the Stargate (always fun reading Shezza's earlier works).

There's Space Haven by esama which could be interesting if you want to read about wizards adjusting to an extra-gallactic city (Atlantis) - otherwise a bit boring; no real conflict in the story.

Dream Red wrote one, which ended up split in two or three different fics, I remember them being somewhat interesting.

Best one would be Nonjon's crossover, you don't even need to know Firefly to read it.

Except crossovers, I doubt you can find much which is related to what you seek.

Edit: Trig beat me to it about Space Haven.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  9. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Y'know, Pers was rumoured to have the beginnings of a Starship Troopers (book)/HP crossover that sounded promising.

Edit: found the post, and damn Lesswrong for ruining the fun.

10. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  11. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Culture shock is good, but it's very short and hasn't been updated in forever

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's 71k words, so it's a substantial read. Many novels are shorter than that. But you're right that not much happens.

13. knuckz

knuckz Seventh Year

It's odd that many FF writers can write so much, but actual novels are shorter. OotP was the longest HP book at 257k, but when you have a book like PS at 76k, and yet have year one fanfics even longer and sometimes more interesting...

It's just pretty odd.

14. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

It's not exactly odd, it's the reason novels go through editors before they get published. Whether it's just perceived or actual necessity to "tighten" a book (b/c readers are assumed to be stupid fucks with an attention span of five minutes >_>), a lot of shit gets cut out, anyway, and that is more or less exactly what makes up the difference between a (usual) FF novel and a published book. Especially if you write and publish the former in the standard chapter-by-chapter format, instead of pre-writing them.

I notice this myself, and I'm pretty sure when TFA is finished, for example, there'll be at least 30% that could have been cut without losing anything. I tried to be more concise in my current work, and promptly it is far less than 100k words.

*derail*

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Here's a link to a proposed opening chapter.

16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Interesting!

Is this going to be strictly based upon the book (eg, politics, Bugs having 'hand-held' weapons, Mobile Infantry Powered Armor, etc), or of that of the movies (even if they themselves are quite shite, the concepts behind them such as the Bugs, etc)? (Examples being cheap, ineffective body armor for the MI, bugs that are portrayed as actual bugs...)

Or are you going to go the 'middle route', such as that of the Roughnecks: The Starship Trooper Chronicles? This animated series essentially used the best of both (book and movie/game related media) worlds.

17. Perspicacity

High Score:
    I was shooting for a crossover with the book, which I've read a few times, rather than the movie or animated series, which I never saw (or saw sober, in the case of the film). I threw out the epilogue and had Rico wash out of OCS to turn him into the bitter soul you see in the intro.

18. Naga's Shadow

Naga's Shadow Seventh Year

I had an idea of some seventh years in muggle studies deciding that their project for the year would be putting a wizard on the moon. The story would be very technical as they find ways around all the issues with a trip though space. So alot would happen but not allot would happen if you get my meaning. The real issue with space is that its either an antagonist, like it 2001 or most space epics, or its just a add on to the plot. Any other space opera that could have just as easily been set on the ocean, looking at you Star Trek.

Harry Potter IN SPACE is just the same as Harry Potter on land for the most part as all the action is the characters against each other.

19. Perspicacity

High Score:
    He's taken over one of my stories, so I can't help but mention that Darth Marrs has several Harry Potter/space-something-or-other crossovers. The Boy Who Fell is a bit of a Star Wars curbstomp, but he has a couple others, a HP/STtNG and another HP/SW crossover that are sequels to his Four Founders story. He also has a Star Wars/Firefly curbstomp crossover that's readable (Blue Sun Down).

20. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Culture Shock is pretty cool. I didn't know Ruskbyte was such a good author. Pissed it hasn't been updated since 08. The Mind scenes are particularly hilarious.
    "At its current rate of progress it will have completed the task in another twenty-two seconds."
    "Slow, but acceptable"