1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I read this thread and would just like to chime in supporting Spankz' app idea. I know there is an app that works for the forum and it's a general forum browsing app.

I think what he means, is that when someone searches for Harry Potter in the app stores (google, apple, amazon, microsoft, etc), it will pop up and those who align with our interests may join.

It's not too bad an idea. Set out a small lure for new members.

When you search for Harry Potter or Dark Lord Potter (in the app stores), Tapatalk doesn't give any free referrals, but a dedicated app would.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is an app already on Google Play. I think it's just called DLP or something similar and it works okay cool, I just found myself using the actual forums once I scaled up my screen.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It's been broken for a minute.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I honestly hate tappatalk. There will not be any need once xenforo is implemented because of how well it scales

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Maintaining apps in addition to the forums themselves isn't sustainable. Xenforo will help a lot -- we're getting closer.

6. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I sometimes browse the Neglected Stories list, when I remember it exists. That's its first problem, in that it's really not very visible. I don't think all that many users know it exists, honestly. Seems like a shame, because it's a fairly neat functionality.

Second problem is that it's unclear just how the criteria are weighed. Is the date at which the story's added very important or isn't it? I don't know. How important is the amount of ratings the story's gotten? I don't know either. Priority rankings are given and used to sort with but it's unclear how those are actually decided. What's the max, the min? I see there's a 5.25 priority story on the list, but what does that actually mean?

Final and biggest problem is that I feel like only stories in For Review should really be on the list. I'm under the impression that once a story's in the Library it'll remain there. Maybe site mechanics allow for the possibility of downgrading to Almost Recommended, but I don't recall ever seeing it happening. So there seems to be little reason to go through the effort of reviewing and rating these old stories.

I don't know if the move to Xenforo will fix these problems or even have this functionality remain, but these are my 2 cents.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's a very crude measure, but basically it's looking that every story has at least a few posts on it. Driveby ratings are less important than someone actually typing out what they mean and why they did or did not like the story.

Priority could honestly be hidden. It's measuring how few posts and ratings a story has -- so if a story has few ratings it's not likely to be very accurate of a rating.

I weighted posts higher if I recall, but I'd have to look at the code. It's probably due for a refresh anyways -- it'll have to be refreshed during the move to Xenforo.

8. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

It's a small thing, but the Support sub forum is very central right now. Could it be moved down?

All the other sub forums are more popular. I imagine the support sub forum is something people have gotten used to scrolling past most of the time, but it's gotten a bit bigger with the new software...

9. Zombie

I agree. A general organization of the forums for flow and the sub forums would he nice. Like with Other Fandom WbA. Just seems cluttered now and considering lots of people access it maybe more thought can be put in to it now that we have a general idea of what is popular and what isn't.

Also, with the different WbAs at the bottom I was thinking we could merge them all and use tags for the Fandom. Like the WiP etc. Since we don't have the thread images anymore. And HP WbA isn't as popular as it once was. So merging wouldn't be a bad idea.

10. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

This is not exactly high priority but I thought I'd bring it up again.

Now that we have a shiny new forum and all I was wondering if would be a good time to revisit the idea (OK my idea) of having a Photoshop competition to re-design the top banner(s) for the site. As much as I am fond on Anikan!Harry he does look a little 2005. We've got a lot of talented artists on here and I for one would like to take advantage of their time and good nature.

Edit: Also in the running for the pettiest complaint ever: I don't suppose out prestige titles and prestige banners could go back to being flamenco pink rather than baby pink could they? Its just like, not a nice contrast with the green.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

If you want to make a thread for that then by all means, I think it'd be fun to see the results. If something good comes out of it we'll definitely consider it, but I don't think we'll commit to replacing it beforehand.

12. Sorrows

Thanks @Jon, that was what I had in mind in anycase, I will make a thread. Do you reckon I should put it in the feedback forum?

(Since you are feeling magnanimous, don't suppose you could tweak the prestige banners to better match aswell could you? :D Like pink background with a darker font or something, they are so bright.)

13. Sorrows

Official writing competitions

So I was thinking, would it be a good idea to run monthly or bi-monthly DLP short story writing competitions? They work pretty well over at the super pink club house and we've had some good stories out of them. They would give new writers a chance to put something out there and old writers a bit of practice/ a break from their longer projects.

I could just throw one out there but it would probably get lost soon enough. It would be cool if it was an official, pinned event run by DLP that gave new (and old) writers a space and an excuse to put something out there and get some detailed feedback. (Its a condition of voting in the ones we run which is I think worth keeping.) Perhaps they could get a small prize for winning like a special banner or a custom title?

It might come to nothing and nobody would be interested, but DLP has proven to be a good place to foster writing talent. It would be cool to do that actively.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I am definitively down for bringing back monthly writing competitions. It's fun duking it out amongst us Flamingos but I would love to see the old comps returned and have a much larger participation pool.

15. CBH

CBH Sixth Year

Its a small feature, but I enjoy being able to see a thread's full rating (i.e. 4.71) when in a subforum hovering over the number of stars in a list of threads. Provides a better idea of a story's quality while browsing library or WBA. Can that feature be brought into the individual thread as well so it shows the number when hovering rather than just the 1-5 star scale?

16. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Regarding the new layout, I think The HP library and the Other Fandoms library structures should mirror each other for consistency - inconsistency makes it difficult to find things. In particular, the Other Fandoms Review board should logically be in the "Room of Requirement" section, separated out from the Other Fandoms library, just as the HP Review board is separated out from the HP library.

17. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

So, could we get a OP notifications only for watched threads option, please? Specifically for WbA, it gets annoying to get 10+ notifications for when someone updates.

18. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Would it be possible to have indent formatting in a post indent both sides of the post? Currently it just shifts it to the right.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  19. Zombie

It is possible, I think its a mod. Indent doesn't really carry over well when you're on mobile. There's an advanced WYSIWYG editor that does it, I think SB and SV uses it. There are a bunch of things about it I don't like though. Some of it seems half thought.

20. Horton

Horton Second Year

You should add likes in PMs.

Also when is XF 2 upgraded happening?