1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

DLP Improvement Thread V2: Electric Boogaloo

Discussion in 'DLP Feedback and Improvement' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Apr 11, 2017.

1. thisperson

thisperson Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I read this thread and would just like to chime in supporting Spankz' app idea. I know there is an app that works for the forum and it's a general forum browsing app.

I think what he means, is that when someone searches for Harry Potter in the app stores (google, apple, amazon, microsoft, etc), it will pop up and those who align with our interests may join.

It's not too bad an idea. Set out a small lure for new members.

When you search for Harry Potter or Dark Lord Potter (in the app stores), Tapatalk doesn't give any free referrals, but a dedicated app would.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    There is an app already on Google Play. I think it's just called DLP or something similar and it works okay cool, I just found myself using the actual forums once I scaled up my screen.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

It's been broken for a minute.

4. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I honestly hate tappatalk. There will not be any need once xenforo is implemented because of how well it scales

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw System God Admin

Maintaining apps in addition to the forums themselves isn't sustainable. Xenforo will help a lot -- we're getting closer.

6. BTT

BTT Order Member

I sometimes browse the Neglected Stories list, when I remember it exists. That's its first problem, in that it's really not very visible. I don't think all that many users know it exists, honestly. Seems like a shame, because it's a fairly neat functionality.

Second problem is that it's unclear just how the criteria are weighed. Is the date at which the story's added very important or isn't it? I don't know. How important is the amount of ratings the story's gotten? I don't know either. Priority rankings are given and used to sort with but it's unclear how those are actually decided. What's the max, the min? I see there's a 5.25 priority story on the list, but what does that actually mean?

Final and biggest problem is that I feel like only stories in For Review should really be on the list. I'm under the impression that once a story's in the Library it'll remain there. Maybe site mechanics allow for the possibility of downgrading to Almost Recommended, but I don't recall ever seeing it happening. So there seems to be little reason to go through the effort of reviewing and rating these old stories.

I don't know if the move to Xenforo will fix these problems or even have this functionality remain, but these are my 2 cents.

7. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw System God Admin

It's a very crude measure, but basically it's looking that every story has at least a few posts on it. Driveby ratings are less important than someone actually typing out what they mean and why they did or did not like the story.

Priority could honestly be hidden. It's measuring how few posts and ratings a story has -- so if a story has few ratings it's not likely to be very accurate of a rating.

I weighted posts higher if I recall, but I'd have to look at the code. It's probably due for a refresh anyways -- it'll have to be refreshed during the move to Xenforo.