1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A Challenge for Next Years Awards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbern, Feb 6, 2007.

1. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

After reading the posts concerning improving the awards, I offer this to spice up the categories for next year – The Put Up or Shut Up Challenge.

Bioplague – you’ve made no secret of what you think of my stories, so how about for the 3rd annual awards we have our own little contest. We have Lord Ravenclaw insert it into the voting as its own category and let the voting begin.

Here’s the challenge, a brand new story, (I won’t use Bungle, it’s sequel, or TFtCD.) 40K minimum, complete before 12/31/2007. To make it interesting Winner talks and we have Middy drop the banstick on the loser for a month. Could you stand the humiliation?

So why stop with the ‘bootlicker’, when I can set sights only marginally higher in this case. How about it Vash? Can you come out and play too? You were up and down the Award Winners threads calling my work shit. In true DLP fashion, we’re not supposed to take shit from anyone, so I’m calling the two of you out and challenging you to Put Up or Shut Up. Are you two IRCholes up for the challenge? Or are you a pair of paper tigers? First place gets bragging rights and Second and Third eat a month of bannage?

Jim

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey! As someone who uses IRC, I take offense at that!

Lol.

Sounds like a good idea to me, though I don't think it will actually happen.

Be careful though jbern: it's quite likely that, in a contest like this, it will simply become a popularity contest and not about the stories.

Speaking of which, how about we have a popularity contest? The King and Queen of DLP? No? Aww...

Lol.

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Hrmm... We shall see, J. Since I can see that you are watching the thread, I expect a reply to this. My AIM/YIM/MSN info is in my pro, hit me up in 4 hours, since I am at work right now. Or even show up in IRC. S'not that difficult to use, after all. I mean even the hairless onelegged retarded monkeys that Bio and I are can use it! ^.^

We'll work out the details then. Only got 10 left on my lunch break now and PjIrc isnt working for whatever the fuck reason. >_>

4. jbern

jbern Alba Mater

Can't do IRC from work. I work until 8 tonight. Late tonight or tomorrow morning before I head off to work.

Jim

5. Antivash

It is 11.57AM Central right this moment. I get off at 3.30. Im usually awake untill 11 even if Im not at the computer. You have all the time in the world.

6. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! :D

Wow, this going to be exciting! :D

You know who's going to win this contest don't you?

The readers of fanfiction. :)

7. Antivash

.. Chuck.. STFU and stop instigating.

J, my lunch is over, sadly, now I must go and be lazy elsewhere. Ill check back on my 15 @ 2PM.

Dont be a bitch and run away scared now. I know I can be pretty intimidating.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Hmm, who can wait a year? This could be a test of new voting system, whatever that turns out to be. Maybe a 6 months deadline?

9. huntedorange

huntedorange Seventh Year

This could get really interesting and I for one am really looking forward to the outcome, let the battle commence.

10. k_writer

k_writer Groundskeeper

I was going to say that. The whole time I was reading this, I kept thinking "flame war! flame war alert!" but if the parties mentioned (including Jim) can be serious about it without turning it into a bloodbath, then I would be very interested to see who came out on top.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  11. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Well, it would be interesting for sure; only I'm not certain the two stories would be comparable at all. I haven't read any of jbern's work, but from what I've heard his stories are radically different from Vash's. The reader base is entirely different, and probably wider for Independent!Harry than for Evil/Incestuous/Insane!Harry — never considering the author's skill.

So yes, it would probably end up being a popularity contest. If not for the author, for the genre of the story.

A solution would be to have them both write the same kind of fiction, but it wouldn't work, because of course the author who's used to writing that specific genre would have a huge advantage over the one who's experimenting with it. And if we tried to have them both write in a third genre, something that's neither Indy!Harry nor Evil!Harry, it wouldn't work either. Making an author write something he doesn't like writing or feels he isn't good at writing, ought to be punished with slow strangulation. Because the result is never very good.

For example, I tried once to write Romance. I was so appalled at the result that I almost flamed myself.

12. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's obvious that they both will have to write a canon compliant light!good!Churchgoing!Weasleylover!Harry story. ;)

13. Antivash

Blame Jbern for that. Sure I was a dick in the awards threads, but thats who I am! You know that Kendie! ^_^

But I may be a dick, but Jbern called my bluff. And I have no intention to back down, even if Bio does. And I dunno if he will or not. I dont remember the last time I actually took the time to ask him about his writing. Prolly the last time I harassed him to continue AotC and suggested Harry/Padme smut. o.o

Ive every intention of approaching this as a mature, intelligent adult. And to those on IRC: STOP LAUGHING, YOU IGNORANT MUGGLEFUCKERS! I CAN BE MATURE AND INTELLIGENT IF I WANTED TO!

I agree, a year is far too long. I have ongoing projects I would like to see finished and if this actually goes on, I intend to concentrate sole on this project. But as mentioned way above, I intend to talk to Jbern about the details. Because, as we all know, the Devil is in the details.

Quite true, but like I just said in this post, I have every intention of writing a serious story, not something made to offend (Lust/Bluer/Oedipus,) or be idiotic and disgusting at once (Alice's Wonderland.)

If I didnt know you were being a dick, Id be tempted to disown you.

14. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

Haha, finally something constructive coming out of this. I'll be very interested to see how this comes out, and to those not directly involved, e-bet time :) 'Twould be like our very own Superbowl.

Cowboy Law ftw.

15. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

Dammit Jbern. There goes Bluer again. No updates for another 6 months.

As for the challenge itself? I can only recite the motto of my football team:

MAN UP!

Amerision is Hungry for Some Quality Fanfiction.

16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

....NOOOOO! damn you, damn you to hell! Vash has to update Bluer first with some Daphne goodness beore he is allowed to start.

17. Nullify

Nullify Seventh Year

I'd probably prefer a Bluer update or another one of Vash's dark, smutty oneshots/twoshots to this, but ah well - it'll be interesting at least, to see what you two (and maybe Bio) can come up with.

Of course there will be a problem of readers voting because seeing the zomgz, so popular writer's name instead of actually the quality of the fic...I proposed in IRC that somehow post the stories anonymously so that the readers don't know which story is written by which writer and can vote on Story 1 or Story 2 based on their actual quality.

The very obvious flaw is that you could probably tell the writers' style apart, especially if the criterias are loose and wide-ranged...but I posted this just in case it might help a little after all. <_<

18. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not a bad idea. Perhaps not to the extreme of that.

Would there be a word limit like the summer writing challenge?

And this spectacle, being DLP's first Write Off, needs a name!

19. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Let's see, we'll have a story that's an equal mixture of action, adventure and humor, a story where Harry goes insane and rapes someone (or something) and a story with darkish but epic atmosphere. Hmm, I wonder which is who's?

20. Antivash

Or you could ignore the fact that I said I had no intention of going along my traditional path. Sure, what I have in mind may be a bit dark and contain a bit of gore, but no graphic rape smut.

Despite popular opinion, I can write a genuinely serious story.