1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dec 2017 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'The Lone 2017 Competition' started by Ched, Dec 17, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hey DLP,

Hopefully most of you have seen and clicked on Raven's announcement regarding the DLP Story Competition. He explains the basic idea there, but I'll summarize for you here.

Prompt: Harry discovers why Albus doesn't drink
    Word limit: 10k max, no min
    Deadline: December 27th - PM stories to Xiph0 (who will post them anonymously)

This thread is to discuss the competition if you so choose. If this becomes a monthly event (or quarterly, or whatever) there will be a new 'discussion' thread for each competition with details on the specific prompts, rules, etc.

So... talk! Talk about your ideas, talk about your thoughts on the competition, etc! It's true that this is an anonymous competition but don't let that stop you from using this thread for discussion.

The stories themselves will be published in their own threads by Xiph0 (who will be the only staff member aware of the authors).

Go write! Seriously. The more entries the better if we want to keep this going.

GUIDELINES

Voting / Scoring
    Anyone can participate in voting and scoring! Though if you are going to rate one story it's encouraged that you rate all of them. All categories may get a score between 1 and 5.

Original Concept
    Characters
    Plot
    Pacing
    Setting & Atmosphere
    Grammar & Mechanics

Total score out of 30
    (each category above worth 1 through 5). Your score should be accompanied by 150+ words of review/commentary on the story. Feel free to copy/paste the above when you are scoring later (see post below for a typical review example).

Winning
    You get to put your idea in the poll for the NEXT competition prompt. When the next competition thread goes up there will be a poll that will look like this:

Vote on the topic / prompt for this competition!
    1. Staff Selected Prompt 1
    2. Staff Selected Prompt 2
    3. Winner's Prompt
    Sure it's true that your prompt might not get picked, but hey - there's a chance!
    Edit: Additional Prize - Ched has offered a Video Game code from a past Humble Monthly purchase. Several to pick from, no POS games.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  2. Ched

Updated above post with more details.

Talk motherfuckers. If we want people to enter we need to keep this front and center so that it's on everyones mind and they're thinking and writing and MOTHERFUCKING EXCITED. Righe@Sorrows?

Let's do this.

Harry discovers why Albus doesn't drink. Go write.

Humor at the concept? Seriousness of addiction? Sad at chances lost? Horror at an uncontrollable badass wizard drunk off his ass? I wonder what we shall see.

A typical review might be something along these lines. Feel free to copy/paste the scoring format from above.

Original Concept - 5
    Characters - 4
    Plot - 1
    Pacing - 3
    Setting & Atmosphere - 5
    Grammar & Mechanics - 4

Total Score - 22

This story concept was fantastic - I never would have guessed that Drunk!Albus would immediately search out methods of getting high and, of course, finding quite a few of them. The effects of various magical substances on his thought processes - and the lowering of his inhibitions - made this hilarious.

That said, there was no plot whatsoever. Just a series of fiascos that occur as Dumbledore gets high on more and more esoteric substances. It made the story memorable but ultimately the humor wasn’t good enough to make it something I’d ever read again – it needed some kind of narrative arc for that.

The setting and atmosphere were great – very surreal feeling, especially when Albus was riding the flying unicorn across the English channel while it pooped an unending rainbow into the sky. That entire sequence was all kinds of WTF while not quite breaking my suspension of disbelief.

Grammar was fine, but mechanically the story was bogged down by far, far too many adverbs.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  3. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Alright I'm talking, I'm talking...

As DLP's resident and most self-aware drunk, I may try my hand at this prompt. Time is short, but I got a lot of air travel over the next week where I may be able to punch something out.

I like the rating system and the review requirement. That's us growing up right there.

4. Ched

I have an idea myself that I might try to punch out, but we'll see if I can get it past the initial "here is how the story starts!." I dunno how to make it into a story with an actual middle and ending yet.

5. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got an idea and a basic outline, but chances of my submission depend on the strength of my procrastination, and my procrastination is mighty.

Reviewers are encouraged to rate all stories, but is there a minimum number of stories you have to review before your votes count?

6. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I imagine it will be played by ear. If only 4 people enter the first one then people would be expected to review them all but if you've got 10/15 entries it might be a bit much for someone to read and review them all.

7. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

I solemnly swear to review all submissions. And damn I really hope @Jarizok goes with his idea or I might just write it myself.

8. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I knew I’d come to regret that post.

I’ve been looking for a different angle, but inspiration hasn’t struck. I’m staying at my parents for christmas now, so writing opportunities are going to be few for a couple of days as well. Go for it Oz!

9. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sailing on smooth seas toward a glorious success in draft numero tres. 10k* words, here I come.
    *I lied, maybe 3-5k at the most off of current progress.

10. Ched

Reminder bump!

As an added bonus I'll offer up a video game as a prize to the winner (and if they don't want it, the runner-up) - I have several decent ones that I've gotten and not activated from the couple of months I had Humble Monthly (don't worry, no worthless POS games). Depending on the number of entries I might give out more than one.

11. H_A_Greene

High Score:
  12. Ched

That moment when you realize that you have a great idea but no actual plot to go with it, despite the fact you've been writing for a while already. Argh!

13. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    We can do it, Cheddar! I realized that my lovely little AU was not going to work out after all and now that I've made that decision, I feel so much better about the direction in which I'm going. Probably going to finish up on time so long as I get some sleep soon and get back on this tonight. It's rather more fun than I had expected.

EDIT: I'm done. My submission has been sent. Now to sit and sweat over why I sent that version instead of one of the three others. So much easier in so many ways to have gone with an earlier draft for reaching the prompt subject... hehehe, ah well, this is kind of exciting now.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  14. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That moment when a bolt of really silly inspiration strikes two days before the deadline. Hmm.

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    So probably should have confirmed this sooner, but the deadline is inclusive of the 27th, yeah?

Edit: I'm gonna assume it does and hit submit.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  16. Ched

I've been assuming it's inclusive of the 27th - but I'm not sure, and that's not my choice. I'd guess at this point that's up to @Xiph0 .

I'm still writing myself. My entry is not going to be good, nor will it be edited, but by god it might be present. It also might not. I've got to be up in a few hours to be gone for most of the 27th, after all.

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Well, I got something ready. Rough as all holy fuck. But it's done. Maybe I'll polish it up later for a continuation. I kinda like the idea I settled with.

18. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Don't screw this up like everything else you've done, Seyllian. Get your submission in to Xiph0 before December 27th or forever wonder "what if". You're probably on break/vacation now anyways, you have no excuse."

Well, that's what the announcement says on the front page of DLP.

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I'm gonna guess midnight is fine, or at least before Xiph0 wakes up. Xiph0 can use his discretion for any that get in after the stroke of 12 but they should probably all be posted together.

20. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

If you're EST -3 hours.

Not open for further replies.