1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q3 2018 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q3 2018' started by Ched, Jul 9, 2018.

?

What's your pick for the Q3 prompt?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. The Elder Wand

31 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Time Travel (not Harry's POV)

15 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. Vampires

56 vote(s)
    38.1%
  4. Azkaban

45 vote(s)
    30.6%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

There are benefits for both types. I felt more inspired this time around because of how broad the topic actually is. The thing about a one word prompt is that, imo, it takes more skill to write it. You have to think up a whole story.

A line prompt by its very nature is almost like guidence. Depending on the phrasing, it can guide the whole tone of your story. Like the first story comp. "Why doesn't Dumbledore drink?"

He's possessed.
    He's a recovering alcoholic
    He's gotten into some shenanigans due to whatever.
    etc.

Q1 Prompt, you're bleeding on my floor, smacked too much of humor.
    There was a serious entry, but it was more in the line of a Dresden type setup.

Q2, everyone saw the outcomes of that.

With Azkaban, I've already thought up like 30 different ideas. With Vampires I've thought up not as many, but quite a few. I felt caged due to the nature of the earlier prompts. There is only a couple ways to go with them and actually win. Whereas here, you've got a concept, and you have to write to that. I feel like judging on these will be a lot harder simply because it's going to boil down to is the concept conveyed clearly.

You can't just have Vampires. You can't just be in Azkaban. What are they vampires, how do they fit into the world.

What is azkaban other than a jail cell surrounded by Dementors, etc.

I'm feeling better about these than I did in the past. As I said before. The purpose of these are to have fun. Who cares if you won, I certainly don't.

2. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I feel similarly. I've actually started on the Azkaban prompt and have 2k words under my belt and I had at least 2 more decent ideas. For the other previous prompts. Nothing really jumped out and what did felt like it had to be written a certain way.

3. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I am in the same boat is @Zombie and @Red. The Azkaban prompt fits one of my outlines perfectly. I don't know if I will have the time to write it (I'm more than likely starting a new job shortly), but I'll try. As for Vampires, I got nothing. Vampires and HP don't work well together, in my opinion; wizards are too strong and I have no desire to make HP a vampire.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well, I sort of have an idea for Vampires now...

I need to be writing a short story for a local writing group but I haven't had any ideas. Now I have an idea for a vampire story for that... and with tweaking and expanding it might work for this.

But then again it's not an idea for a story so much as it's an idea for an opening to a story.

...ramble.

5. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Someone should writr about a vampire prisoner in azkaban whose cellmates with a time travellig Harry, whose goal is to retrieve the elder wand long buried in the dungeons of Azkaban.

Oz
  6. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    With vampires in the lead, this is obviously my time to write that Cursebreaking Castlevania fic with Charlie Weasley time-traveling back to the 1600s to destroy Dracula once and for all using a stake made from the Elder Wand. Unfortunately the Unspeakables arrest him at once upon his return to the present and throw him into Azkaban.

7. Ched

Thanks for volunteering!

Oz
  8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

I distinctly remember writing for an Azkaban challenge already, ergo I voted Vamps.

9. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I think I have a pretty decent idea for the Vampire option.

As far as I can see, it’s not something that has been done excessively before, so I might just stick with it.

I‘ll just have to decide who the vampire will be.

10. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Mostly because it looked like it's going to be a vampire prompt I've been brainstorming, and I've come up with a couple of story ideas a little more complete than an Azkaban-cum-Annihilation story. I'd rather write about vampires now: vote changed.

11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Maybe gonna try my hand at failing at writing in English again, pretty sure no one has anything close to what I've come up with for vampires.

...just not sure what I've come up with isn't trash.

12. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Hey, I've written 4 vampire fics. So yeah, you're right, there's no good ones :(. In all seriousness, I've got a ton of vampire ideas laying around years past, so I may just write something this time around if it ends up as the prompt.

13. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I have a thought, it's basically an inverted vampire story. Perhaps a sort of take on the other Alex Garland movie.

14. Ched

I have a prologue, a character, and no hint of an actual story to tell. FML

Edit: I has plot idea! Really excited for vampires now. I had good ideas for previous prompts too but I might actually write this one.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  15. Zombie

All this excitement is nice. I'll be interested to see how many people actually get a submission in this time around.

16. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Four.

17. Zombie

That's been the norm so far. Like I said I'll be interested to see final submission numbers.

18. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Well, too many submissions aren't that good actually, because if we had, say, twelve submissions, you'd have to read them all plus write 2400 words of review at the very least in order to make your review count. Which, well, might result in writing the reviews being far more time-consuming than writing each submission :D

19. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I think in the case of there being more than 5/6 entries the review system might be adapted a little, after all people want reviews and that's quite a commitment to ask of people.

20. Ched

We'll play it by ear regarding reviews if we have numerous submissions, but honestly?

200 words is NOT a lot. Especially if you use the old method that lays it out for you. For example, the following is 200 words (and I swear if any of you just copy and paste this to be clever...)

Overall I enjoyed this story even though I'm not a Lockhart fan. I've never seen a story written before in the fandom where one character just runs around pretending to be other people for kicks. Neat.

Plot: Clearcut and easy to understand with a good twist at the end. I didn't see it coming that Lockhart was polyjuiced as Harry and had also cast a charm on himself to look like Lockhart again. The vampire seemed tacked on though, like it didn't really have a place in the plot that mattered.

Pacing: It was fast, maybe too fast. I felt like I wasn't getting enough description and was barreling through on dialogue alone. In a story that focuses on deceptive appearances it was an odd choice.

Characters: Everyone seemed in character except for Lockhart, but the point of the story had him as AU so that was fine.

Prompt: The vampire plot was clearly tacked on. It was there but it could have been a werewolf, a mermaid, even a student who wanted to play a prank. The story had nothing to do with vampires, but it was the vital disguise issue at one point, so... yeah. Decent prompt use?

Thanks for writing!
    I guess for me it's easy to review and comment on things. I prefer NOT to use that formula, but short reviews isn't a typical problem of mine.

I can see going down to 150 words if it will encourage more people to review, but frankly... as a mediocre author myself, the value of knowing that I will get useful feedback is a draw to write and compete for this. It's not a given these days that you'll get varied comments in WbA. It is a given here and as such my hope is that it's acting as an incentive. Specific, useful commentary on ones work is gold (at least to me).

But it backfires if no one reviews (and therefore votes) at all, so it's a double edged sword.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
Not open for further replies.