1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Book Fanfic Book Club: TBD

Discussion in 'DLP & Chill' started by Zombie, Aug 15, 2018.

?

What fanfic should we read for the Fanfic Book Club?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2018.
  1. Whatever Happened to Bromance? by Vlad the Inhaler

13.0%
  2. What You Leave Behind by Newcomb

25.9%
  3. The Denarian Renegade by Shezza

20.4%
  4. The Prisoner's Cipher by Ecthelion3

25.9%
  5. The Unforgiving Minute by Voice of the Nephilim

14.8%
  1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

So, in spirit of all things yadda yadda yadda. I thought about doing a Fanfic Bookclub type deal. I've went to scryer and sorted based on DLP review and I've picked the top five multi-chapter stories based on over all DLP score.

Whatever Happened to Bromance? by vlad the inhaler (4.78 DLP score.)

What You Leave Behind by Newcomb ( 4.77 DLP score)

The Denarian Renegade by Shezza (4.59 DLP score )

The Prisoner's Cipher by Ecthelion3 ( 4.70 DLP score)

The Unforgiving Minute by Voice of the Nephilim (4.69 DLP score)

The Denarian Lord was higher ranked, but its incomplete and not worth wasting time with. So I picked the first in the series since one of them came up in the top five. I passed over By the Divining Light because its currently being rewritten and as much as I love that story, I don't want to interrupt it during the rewriting process.

That's subject to change, honestly, if people really want to read it, its a great story.

You've got five days to vote. Once you vote, your vote's locked in and you can't change.

But I figured depending on length and what's picked, we can do this over a week or two week period. If you want an epub copy for reading on the train, view this thread heyah to get a copy. They're fresh and new and you have @duplaja to thank for that.

We can do different variations of this. Best One Shot, Best X Genre, etc going forward, but for the first one I felt like generalizing. In the future the way we pick them might also change too, but as it stands I think having five to choose from is enough. None of the stories have to be complete, I'd prefer personally they have more than one chapter, and as long as everyone agrees on it. I'm game.

I'll update the thread title with the selection when we get ready to start.

I nominate @BTT to be spokeperson because he was one of three to finish the original re-read. As time permits I'd like to see a lot of engagement from everyone. There are so many stories that haven't aged well and this would be a good place to get some nostalgia going on to see what has and what hasn't. And we have this shiny new forum, so we might as well use it. Hopefully this won't fall as flat as the movie rewatch did.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Great idea. Since Renegade is the only one of those I've never finished, that's how I voted. If it ends up being chosen, I'll make the effort to read it.

3. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Vote for the unforgiving minute people. It's been on my to-read list for a while but random shitfics I stumble across keep pushing it down.

4. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

FWIW, Denarian Lord is finished. There was another planed sequel that only had 2 chapters and then abandoned. Regardless, it does make sense to start with the first.

5. Conquistador

High Score:
    I think, a sequel (for a fanfic) will generally have higher ratings.

Think about it, the only people who can read (and therefore review) it are people who have gone through the first book.

Like I tried reading the denarian renegade. I simply couldn't do it. I couldn't finish it. As such, I could never rate the Denarian Lord with poor rating I would (most likely) give it.

6. Dryops

Dryops Second Year DLP Supporter

Cast my vote for Denarian Renegade. It's the fic that really introduced me to Dresden, and made me start to read all of those. Haven't read it for a long while.

7. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Haven’t read what you leave behind since it was actively being worked on, probably from some increasingly foolish notion that it wasn’t abandoned. The rest I’ve read multiple times but I’d be up for reading them again.

8. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I voted for Newcomb because that's the closest name to mine, and we all know that if the selection process wasn't biased I would have won. ;)

9. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Voted for What You Leave Behind because I remember really enjoying the mystery element of the first year and the way Newcomb showed Harry learning about magic. Also, I've recently read both The Unforgiving Minute and The Prisoner's Cipher for the first time and I've read the Denarian Series a lot over the years.

10. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

I voted @Newcomb because I’ve learned to enjoy voting Newcomb down in Lil Italy.

Story’s not all bad either from what I remember.

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I'm down for this! This may be the one book club I can actually be a part of without losing my mind over everyone else's shit taste, hahah.

I voted for The Prisoner's Cipher because I have no idea what it's about, and I love a good mystery.

12. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

I voted for Denarian Renegade, because it's been ages since I last read it.

And because Shezza is best girl

13. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I voted Denarian cause it's finished.

14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Denarian trilogy age quite badly?

15. Conquistador

High Score:
    @Palindrome I would imagine so because I tried reading it rather recently and I simply couldn't get through it.

16. Zombie

It's still a classic and the DLP rating is doesn't reflect age. Kind of the whole point of this.

17. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I deliberately didn't vote Denarian because it's ages so poorly.

...but, upon reflection, that may well give us MORE to talk about if people stuck it out, so swings and roundabouts. Still, I'd rather have an excited fandom thread than a brutal smackdown.

18. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I've been given the green light from Zombie, so without further ado: the first edition of the book club is live. The subject: What You Leave Behind.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I voted for Prisoners Cipher, as I remember really liking it when it was being written, but never actually read the last chapter, as it took so long to release. I've always planned to reread, but haven't really been reading fanfic in the last few years. This will motivate me to actually go ahead and reread it.

Edit: Turns out I was too late to the party. :( I do have very good memories of What You Leave Behind too...

20. Zombie

Hmm, so, What you leave behind was the clear winner right? Because right now Cipher is tied with What you Leave Behind.

Going by your post time stamp, it looks like you voted before the deadline. @BTT, we might have to do a tiebreaker or something.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018