1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might take inspiration from how Dumbledore confronts Lucius Malfoy at the end of CoS, where he had no proof.

2. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

I think that's one part of his characterization that often gets sold short in fanfiction, even in fanfic where he's otherwise written well: Dumbledore was not above thinly veiled threats, as Taure shows above, or even very direct threats mixed with a touch of bravado, if you look at his encounter with the Aurors in book 6(??).

3. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I have a question. What was/would be on Lupin's curriculum? I remember Boggets, Warewolves and Grindylows suggesting he focused on magical creatures, I think Hermione lists a few more at one point. What else do you think he was likely to teach about?

4. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think the book mentioned kelpies as well. Generally Defense Against Dangerous Creatures. Snape tossed in werewolves, but I don't know if Lupin would have covered that topic himself. You could add vampires, quintapeds, the Ilvermorny House symbols. Steal from FB too. Erupment (erumpent?), occamy. At some point it just becomes Hagrid's Care of Magical Monsters, though.

5. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Third Year

At least Boggarts, Hinkypunks, Grindylows, Werewolves, Kappas, Red Caps, and Vampires. Possibly more. Grindylows, Red Caps, Hinkypunks, and Boggarts were on his final.

In Care of Magical Creatures Hagrid taught them about Hippogriffs, Flobberworms, and Salamanders (the flaming kind). I imagine the difference comes out in the "dark nature" of the creature. The ones they cover in DADA will seek out humans whereas the ones in CoMC are just regular creatures (sometimes dangerous to humans, but not humans in particular).

6. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    Try to see it from the student's point of view and take things from your own experiences. While I have never grievously injured anyone, but whenever I have done something I shouldn't have on being confronted by an adult in authority (my parents or a teacher) I have in most cases when I am certain that lying might not work confessed, shown contrition and begged for forgiveness. This always happened under the belief that lying wouldn't help and honesty might get me rewarded with leniency.

In the wizarding world when a wave of wand is all it takes to fix most things, in a student's mind the belief that Dumbledore can fix everything with ease is not farfetched. All Dumbledore needs to do is somehow convince the student that he already knows everything and is willing to be lenient should the student demonstrate contrition and honesty.

7. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    If it's someone like Riddle he won't confess. Riddle was methodical and confident in his ability to get away. He even had a fall guy set up to get away. In fact Riddle always set up someone more probable to take the blame. Dumbledore is good at reading situations, but even he could never pin down Riddle.

As far as how you want to write Dumbledore goes, you will need to consider the totality of his character and it's impact on the plot.
    In canon, when Dumbledore found Riddle's trophies he offered a mild rebuke and a warning to desist from like behaviour in Hogwarts. During the CoS incident while he suspected Riddle's involvement and kept an eye on him afterwards, Dumbledore didn't confront Riddle or ever tried to set the record straight for Hagrid.
    Dumbledore as the Headmaster continued with the same behaviour pattern. Sirius faced no consequences for putting Snape's life in jeopardy. Hagrid got away with keeping a dragon. Draco got away with attempted murder. Contrast this with his approach in dealing with adults like Fudge, Voldemort, Umbridge and Malfoy, you get thinly and not so thinly veiled threats and displays of power.

So if you want to keep his character true to canon, there isn't much to be done if he is dealing with a student.

A possible approach is a more proactive Dumbledore who is willing to confront his students. A lack of evidence and a student like Riddle will give you something similar to what happened in canon after the CoS incident, but it effects other events. Sirius, Malfoy, Snape, Hagrid etc. wouldn't be able to get away with their brand of BS.

A more heavy handed Dumbledore can coerce the student in confessing by shear force of personality. Even Riddle feared Dumbledore. Given that there are no Rights of the Accused and Juveniles in conflict of law in the magical world, Dumbledore will be able to get away with it.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Quick language question.

I'm trying to find a French phrase that someone would say in frustration to someone else. Something along the lines of "Damn it!" or "you're pissing me off!"

What I've found is "Tu m'emmerdes." From the searches I've done, it looks as though that translates to "You're annoying (me)" or "you're a pain in the ass" or "Your bothering me." One place said "pissing me off."

Also, the phrase should be something that while it might not be said in polite company, it also wouldn't make a typical twenty-something blink if they heard it at a bar. Any ideas?

Or, would "Vous me faites chier!" work better?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. Sorrows

merde - shit both common and versitile
    Zut is probably the equivalent of darn
    fais chier / ça me fait chier – that pisses me off (ruder than the translation suggests)
    C’est des conneri - this is bullshit
    Et chiottes - slang for toilet, used for damn in Paris

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  10. Microwave

Microwave Professor

Sorrows has already listed some, but might as well just post the ones i've already listed.

I tend to just say « merde », which means shit, or « putain » which means fuck as quick expletives.

Some common phrases are:
    « fais chier » : it's shit
    « oh la vache » : holy shit, or oh cow literally
    « zut » : damn
    « casse-toi » , « dégage » : fuck off
    « ta guele » : shut up but very rude

11. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Thanks @Sorrows and @Microwave

The context is Ron (as a student), talking to Fleur (as a professor), and what he says pisses off Fleur, who is concerned for him. Fleur isn't trying to be rude, but she's expressing quite a bit of frustration, enough that it makes her slip back into French for a moment.

12. Sorrows

Vous me faites chier - vous (when speaking to a single person) is used when talking to someone of 'higher status' or to whom you want to be polite so it seems a bit odd to say it like that to Ron while also letting slip an indelicate phrase. I would say that Fleur in general would probably use more formal french particularly in a professional setting but in a moment of frustration she would probably slip back to toi /tu

I could see Fleur using 'tu me fatigues' which basically means your making me annoyed/tired and is less swary and more in charecter than some of the other options. For jokes you could have her say 't'es rien qu'un petit connard' which roughly means
    You really are a little asshole.

13. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Thanks, I think tu me fatigues might work. I'll also keep the latter in my back pocket. There's a couple of scenes it might work in later on, since my character of Fleur has a bit of an anger problem.

14. Kaeling

Kaeling Squib

High Score:
    "petit con" would be more appropriate here, it's usually what an exaspered adult would say to a cocky teenager who talks back to her. "connard" is more pejorative and rarely used alongside "petit".

"tu me fatigues" works perfectly if you want Fleur to remain polite even if she annoyed.

15. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Here's the situation: during 5th year Harry is staying with the Weasleys over Yule. Because of reasons, Snape has his Cloak of Invisibility and he wants to get it back before they return from break. He also wants some questions answered and figures asking the man when no one else is around would reduce the bullshit, since Snape won't have an audience to play to.

Question, then: how would Harry find out about Snape's house in Cokeworth and get there, preferably without Snape knowing about it or being spied upon by others (no Knight Bus)?

16. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

He could consider asking someone who would know, though really that would only be Dumbledore. Has he seen any memories from Snape at this point?

17. wordhammer

Harry isn't being trained in Occlumency by Snape, so no. Would anyone else than Dumbledore know where he lives? From HBP we know that Narcissa and Bellatrix both knew enough to apparate to the neighborhood and navigate walking to the address. Lily would know, but she isn't available. Petunia might know, but would Harry know that she knew?

In 1996 UK, were there directory assistance numbers to call that would provide this information?

18. MrBucket

MrBucket Fifth Year

Dobby.

You could get away with having the Malfoys bring up Snape's home while Dobby was around.

19. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Something along the lines of the Yellow Pages would probably have been available, and might have had the address, number, and name, especially if the house was inherited, but Snape might well have removed himself from the register for it.

20. wordhammer

Not a bad notion, but in my (American) experience the paper directories were only distributed in the area. Harry's in Devon with the Weasleys and Snape lives somewhere around Manchester.