1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Warcraft III: Reforged

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Nemrut, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

Yeah it’s just, better. Like yeah, it’s sharper. But for a rerelease of this level, yeah, I expect more, way more.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think SC2 from 2010 looks better than what we have in the trailers atm.

However, it may be different, as they are using the same engine etc. SO the tech might be still the same, but just a graphical rerelease which is limited in that context. Who knows.

3. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It's a remaster, not a remake.

It's going to be cross compatible with the original release so there is only so much they -can- do before that breaks.

4. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Of course sc2 looks better. That game has/had tech about a decade more advanced than WC3 has.

Literally, what they're doing is taking existing wc3, making it compatible with modern hardware, and updating the models to modern standards. The lighting, shaders, renderer, etc, are all still the same code from 2000, to the point that you can take map files from the original WC3 and they'll work seamlessly with the new one. There is a hard upper limit on the graphical improvements possible in that case.

Now, with that said, there's definitely an argument to be made that they should ditch that requirement and build a new engine and port WC3 over to that. And it's not one I would disagree with, being perfectly honest.

But they've made their goals with this project pretty clear, and what they've shown is pretty damn good, within that context.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    I pretty much said exactly what you did, after the first line which you are responding too.

And yeah, it makes sense, especially when you look at the system requirements, haha. However, if that's the case, I'm not sure that a $50 price tag is appropriate. Or, perhaps there should be some sort of discount if we have the original games tied to our bnet account.

6. Agayek

It's not $50. It's $30 for the game, and $40 for the version that includes the rewards in other games. In USD anyway.

And yeah, I'd love it if they discounted it if you owned WC3, but it's Activision-Blizzard. They're never gonna do that. I'm frankly astonished that WoW classic isn't being charged extra for.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I think there's one simple reason for that. WC3 is a game that is still available to be played from them. Vanilla WoW isn't. As soon as they put a price tag, everyone will just go back to playing private servers, which is not something they want at all.

8. Innomine

High Score:
    I am not logged into my account, but maybe that's just NZ pricing anyway.

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 8.05.22 AM.png

9. Agayek

Ah. Yeah, that's the difference between the USD and NZD (either that or Blizzard pissing on Oceania again, which isn't uncommon). It's def $30 USD.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, everyone just needs to understand that the US gets stupid pricing for games, everywhere else is charged normally.

Watch next gen games go up to $70-80USD.

If that trickles down and increases our prices too? I'll fucking riot.

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

30 USD is just over 45 NZD atm. Minor bit of a premium, though you are - purely monetarily, not taking purchasing power etc into account - better off than EU on that account.

Marketing (X9.99) and prices trickling down sound like decent scapegoats.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  12. Agayek

Nah. That's not gonna happen because it threatens the scheme they've already got. They've already raised the price for complete games to somewhere in the $70-100 range, depending on the publisher, while still being able to cry poverty and have people on the internet champion their bullshit.

If they actually raised that $60 fee point, they'd lose all that free pr that covers for their less egregious bullshit, so they're not going to do while they have other options.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    We'll see. I've made my opinion on game pricing known in the past.

14. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    First time I preorder something in a long long time. WC3 was one of my favorite games growing up, and I'm eager to play it again with updated graphics.

15. Jaska

Jaska Third Year

Will they keep the 12 unit command limit? Always annoyed me.

16. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I played the Stratholme mission in the demo. Although it was hard to get used to be limited to 12 troops at a time again, the game looked pretty damn good and more importantly felt damn good to play.

What I found interesting is that they changed the map to make the city of Stratholme to reflect the layout you find in WoW. Plus, there were some new elite enemy units you could encounter if you destroyed the wrong houses.

I already pre-ordered the game and I can't wait for it to come out next year.