1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Stupidest fan theories you have ever heard

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow Shaman, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

With JK Rowling herself coming up with some universe brain explanations for plot holes/trying to explain future material there is no dearth of stupid fan theories .

I would like to share one where the theorist claimed that Ron uses the Imperius curse on Hermione to make her fall in love with him.

He begins by saying that the books ARE NOT to be taken into consideration and then weaves a complex tale where he calls Ron's awkward and bumbling behavior typical of a teenage boy, "vicious attacks" and "general meanness". Author proceeds to retcon the Imperius curse itself saying that if cast by a friend/family it is much more effective and basically unbreakable .
    Of course, he also delves into the fanon lolfest of Weasley love potion trade and whatnot.

2. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I wouldn't call an obviously humourous Reddit post a prime example of a "stupid fan theory".

3. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Didn't find it humorous at all especially since it was so heavily annotated. Curious to how you came to that conclusion?

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I wouldn't call them stupid fan theories, since they're actually somewhat clever if far too far-fetched, but two of my favorite 'stupid fan theories' have to be Ron is Dumbledore and Ron is a Death Eater (different theories). I found some random links for them that I haven't vetted.

Edit: Should have vetted them. Googling "Ron is a Death Eater" brings up a bunch of idiots claiming that this is a 'new' theory. Utter bullshit. It's been around as long as I've been in the fandom, or at least almost. And I came in around the time GoF was published for that awesome three years of fanfic and rampant speculation that came before OotP. Golden years right there.

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  6. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    Ron is Dumbledore.

Regulus is Hermione's cat.

Ron and Hermione got together because Ron used the Imperius Curse.

Ginny and Harry got together because Ginny used a love potion.

7. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  8. ThatGreekLady

ThatGreekLady Fourth Year

High Score:
    How do people even upvote theories like these? Ron hate really knows no limits, my gawd...

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    The Giant Squid is Godric Gryffindor is pretty stupid.

All of Trelawney's predictions and idle statements come true, even the one about Harry's birthdate being mid-winter since it was revealed that he was carrying around a chunk of Voldemort in his head.

Perhaps the worst is that Dumbledore, Machiavellian mastermind that he is, arranged for the fake prophecy to be overheard as a gambit to entrap Voldemort at the expense of a few pawns on the board (the Potters, Snape, the Longbottoms).

10. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That one where people claim that the Muggles could defeat the Magical world in a war.

11. Collinsworth

Collinsworth Third Year

High Score:
    There's this one I've seen floating around about the Weasleys having some seer blood, just because Fred and George told Ron he'd be fighting a Troll and some of his comments through the books iirc

12. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have no problem with that one. It's basic Mao Tse Tung population theory (or theory attributed to him). There's so many, you can simply use people as cannot fodder until you win. Sheer numbers.

Ones I dislike the most are ones that flatten a character into two dimensions. So, anything dealing with Weasley hate or Bad-Dumbledore, because 99.9 percent of the time, two-dimensional characters is exactly what you get, especially when it is retconned into the original books. To hear people speak about them, it makes me wonder if they actually read the books.

13. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have several things that make a fan theory bad, and they're easier to explain than factors that make a fan theory good. Most commonly the issue with fan theorists and Harry Potter novels specifically is that they aren't concerned with the quality of the fictional universe in which they believe. They would actually rather have one or two-dimensional characters, they would actually rather gloss over entire paragraphs of data going against the conclusion of the theory they present, and they would actually rather have the world not make any sense at all. If there's an inconsistency with the text and what they're saying, that's Rowling's fault(she's no better about retconning her own work). Specifically, though, my least favorite fan theory that hasn't been mentioned is McGonagall being a Death Eater.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ...if McGonagall was a Death Eater Voldemort would have won.

15. Silirt

Yeah, that's a large part of what makes it a stupid fan theory.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That one would, at least, make for a potentially interesting AU story. As a theory about canon though, it's utterly ridiculous.

My own - and it's not exactly a theory, I suppose - is the idea that Tom Riddle senior was the one at fault for Voldemort going bad, painting his mother exclusively as a victim.

17. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    You know, I was kind of surprised when I realized McGonagall was never a part of the Order of the Phoenix.

18. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except she is?

19. Silirt

She was part of the second order, not the first.

20. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Wait, she was? Where does it say that?