1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q1 2019 - Story Competition

Discussion in 'Q1 2019' started by Ched, Jan 3, 2019.

?

Pick your Poison! Prompt, I meant prompt.

Poll closed Jan 7, 2019.
  1. Death

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Time Travel (non-Harry POV)

10 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. "Art thou mine master?"

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
  4. Harry was raised as Dudley was. He's fat, lazy, entitled and surrounded by freaks at his new school.

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The prompt for Q1 2019 is... DEATH!

What is meant by death? Here's a post from later in this thread with my thoughts on that, at least in regards to this prompt.

And since I'm a Trekkie, and this is vaguely relevant, I'll draw everyone's attention to the quote that's been in my signature for quite a while now:

Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I rather believe than time is a companion who goes with us on the journey, and reminds us to cherish every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important how we lived. After all, Number One, we're only mortal.
    ~Jean-Luc Picard

Go write!
    Go discuss!
    Go advertise!
    GO GO GO NOW!

-=- -=- -=- -=-​

And we're off! It's the Q1 2019 Competition, so let's get those New Years Resolutions to "write moar" off to a good start.

I'm leaving off Azkaban this time, with the idea that we might do a competition where all the second place choices from polls are options for the prompts. Besides, we haven't managed to pick it yet. We'll get there, just not this time.

Dicra picked one of these prompts. The others I pulled from the thread somewhere. The one in quotations is a first line prompt.

Word count limit: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: March 15th (my birthday)
    Voting: March 15th - March 27th

Send your stories to @Xiph0 once you're done. Authors will be kept anonymous between the two of us, and I will not know who you are until after the competition has ended.

Polish your story up before you send it if you have time. Don't put it in WbA (obviously) but feel free to find a beta who will keep quiet. Sometimes people might guess which story is yours. That's okay - just don't advertise. And if you're the one that figures out who one of the authors is? Keep your mouth shut and avoid biasing others.

Crossovers are allowed, however... (1) keep in mind people might not be familiar with the fandom you crossover with and therefore may not vote for it, and (2) the rule might change to 'no crossovers' for the next competition.

Voting Rules:
    After you have read and reviewed ALL entries, post in this thread with your top three stories ranked. Preferably with links to your reviews. The only true requirement here is that you leave at least 200 words of useful review per story in order to vote.

I understand the linking can be obnoxious so just... it's not the honor system, b/c if you abuse it I will come down on you like a ton of bricks, but just... review, people. Play by the (simple) rules.

A guide on "how to review" in general is available here. Do NOT assume that just because someone else has already said something that you can't say it too. You can. And don't be scared to have a different viewpoint from everyone else as well.

One of the rewards for authors participating in this competition is the feedback, critique, and overall useful commentary on their work. Don't dial it in. If you don't know how to leave useful feedback then comment on the plot, pacing, characters, prompt usage, and anything else that comes to mind. You'll find that 200 words flies by.

If you rank a story as #1 it will get 3 points, #2 will get 2 points, and #3 will get 1 point. Highest score wins. There will always be a winner. There may or may not be a runner up, depending on the number of entries and how close they are.

Note: If you have no intention of even trying to write a story, please don't vote. The poll is meant for authors who want to participate whether they end up finishing a story or not. If you think you might write, vote. If you know you won't, don't. You have 4 days.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm voting for 'Art thou mine master?' because I could see so much more fun stuff done with that than the first two, and nothing springs to mind for the fourth.

3. Ched

I voted for Death because I think I already have an idea that will work for "Death." We'll see if it will, needs some tweaking.

4. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

DarthVaderNoooooooooo.gif

5. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    I mean, you could write Azkaban as the secondary focus for any of these prompts(squint hard enough and yes, it still works with the fat-Harry one).

6. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

If anyone votes for time travel, :rrou:.

7. Ched

I'm pissed AF right now.

I found the first 500 words or so of an old idea I had but never wrote.

At first I was excited - those 500 words read well enough, yay!

But then I tried to find the outline that I remember having. And I can't find it. I remember bits and pieces of it but the actual outline? Nowhere. I remember just enough of what I wanted this story to be that I'm pissed I can't pick my own brain.

Aaaaah

8. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Its cool if time travel wins, I have this cool little Hermione POV plotbunny I think I could bang out, its only at about 50,000 words right now, but I could get it finished by March.

9. Ched

Uhmmm... Word limit 17.5k for the competition just FYI. But rework the start so it feels like it could technically be its own thing?

But yes!

10. Ched

Just boarded a flight BTW. Can't/Won't update thread with prompt at the moment but it's going to be DEATH once I get home.

... Still pissed I can't find that damned outline. The first scene is good but I want my plans!

11. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    Death. You buncha non-imaginative plebeians.

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Fuck da po-lees, Dudley!Harry becomes master of an incarnated Death, who has been pulled back to the future from antiquated times. Easy win.

13. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Can we circumvent a bunch of 'this is within the prompt/this is not within the prompt' arguments by explaining what exactly is meant by Death as a prompt?

14. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I would say it's so broad it could be as simple as someone dying. The other side of the train station. Avada Kedavra, getting ran over by the night bus on a mid Atlantic jump, you name it.

The 17 people that voted for it better fucking write something or there be 17 people reviewing.

15. Ched

Not really, no.

"Death" is a very broad prompt just like "Romance" was. It's going to be partially subjective whether readers feel that it's included or not, and it's up to reviewers whether the story fits the prompt or not.

If you want more stringent guidelines on the prompt then voters need to vote for one of the more specific prompts. A story that doesn't use the first line of a first line prompt didn't ... use the prompt. Stories that use the first line but as a one-off and/or joke that doesn't tie it into the story didn't use it well. This applies to other specific prompts, like the Dudley one, also.

But my understanding from early on in the prompt thread is that most writers want non-specific prompts like Azkaban or Death or Vampires rather than the uber-specific prompts that I tend to prefer. So no, I'm not going to explain exactly what is meant by Death.

I understand the desire for more specific guidelines given that no one wrote a full-on Romance for the Romance prompt, but frankly... I mean, I think it should have been obvious to all the authors that they were not writing romance. Maybe it wasn't. But if your basic plot/concept couldn't be revised into original fiction and found in the "Romance" section of the bookstore then it probably wasn't romance. It's like no one researched that at all. Not even using TVTropes or Wikipedia or even checking which popular movies have a 'romance' tag on them.

But since you've asked about Death as a prompt... personally I'd say that something as simple as someone dying would fit. But there's a continuum here as well in terms of how well the prompt is utilized. For example:

Someone dies in the story.
    Technically used the prompt, fine.

Someone dies in the story and the death drives the plot in some way.
    Better - not only does this use the prompt but it makes the prompt part of the fabric of the story.

Someone dies in the story, the death drives the plot in some way, and an HP specific aspect of Death and/or magic is explored.
    Above and beyond - This would be a tie-breaker for me though, since a poor story that did this wouldn't beat out a good story that only made the death plot-relevant.

But that's just me. And there's other variations on the above. Maybe a death is just talked about. Maybe no one dies in the story but the concept and meaning of Death is explored in detail. Maybe there's a suicidal character thinking about Death constantly who ends up not dying. Maybe death is a constant companion in the story, always a hairsbreadth away and ever present in every paragraph, whether it occurs or not. Maybe all the characters visit the City of the Dead and what it means to be 'dead' is explored.

I don't know. But my understanding, again, is that writers who vote for these non-specific prompts want freedom to be creative, and I don't want to stifle that by putting rails on these prompts. The prompt is "Death" - I'd hope that if someone who read your story was describing what it was about to someone else that 'death' would factor into their description/summary.

Want more stringent guidelines? Vote for a more specific prompt.

If you'd like to debate and/or discuss how prompts should/shouldn't work further feel free to use the general competition thread (rather than this one specific to Q1 2019).

If you'd like to continue discussing what is meant by Death, continue that here. I think that might be a good conversation in general as it might spark ideas for people who plan to write.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  16. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Well, I'm participating this round. Not because because I love the prompt, but because be the change you want to see in the world and what not.

17. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pretty much same here. I've already written about 4k words and you bet your sweet ass there's some death.

18. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    I'm participating too. I wanted to write something anyway (mainly to improve my English honestly), and it's a nice opportunity to get some feedback. That said, I have an outline of the story ready and I'll do my best to make it at least decent.

19. Ched

Bump mother duckers!

Who...

1. Has an idea
    2. Started writing
    3. Has a brainstorming question or concept to share?

If you can't answer 1 or 2 then your answer is 3. Post, ditches.

20. H_A_Greene

High Score:
    My notions thus far:
    • Somber 'someone is dying and how it affects them and those around them'.
    • Crack-fic 'Harry uses Fawkes' tears to survive going through the Veil in search of Sirius, finds tormented hellscape instead'
    • Rehash 'Here Lies' only with Potterverse instead of Dresden.
    • Undecided 'Master of Death!Harry becomes Death Personified after passing, here's his regular day herding souls, freeing them from Dementors, etc etc'
    • Humor/crack 'Dobby reincarnates back in time, tries to do things right, keeps dying in more and more zany ways tied to canon events, repeat until end'.
    In short, I've got nothing at this point. All of the above are varying degrees of hot garbage. 1 might barely have something going for it. But boy do I hate this prompt. Too broad.

Not open for further replies.