1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Everything Else Video Games Thread [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erandil, Oct 28, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So anyone else tried Apex Legends? I don't play alot of BR games, but as far as the ones I have played this one I enjoyed the most. The netcode is pretty good, no delay in interactions (cough Pubg cough) and the combat is quite fun and fluid, a pretty successful launch. It also adds alot of quality of life additions that increase the BR experience, the voice line notifications are top notch. Will it hold my attention for long? Probably not, for me BR is more have a couple drinks and play with some mates, but what little I have played so far it's definitely my top BR game for now.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I've played about 15 matches at this point, and I enjoy it. I'm not really big on competitive shooters in general, so I don't expect it to hold my attention for very long, but even I can tell it's a quality product. Everything is very slick and intuitive, and the combat is quite fun. I definitely think it's the best BR game on the market, for whatever that's worth, and it's even pretty good for new players to get into the genre, as the team-based style and lower playercount helps keep things from being overwhelming. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone looking to get into BR or getting a little tired of PUBG/Fortnite.

3. blob

blob Seventh Year

For all of you who enjoyed Hollow Knight (hopefully everyone), here's the long awaited news - and it's a whole damn sequel where you play as the bug waifu instead of a DLC.

Have some fukken HYPEEEEEEE:

4. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    @blob Have Hollow Night on Steam but never got around to playing it, how highly would you recommend it?

5. blob

blob Seventh Year

It's excellent, IMO. The art, music and gameplay are all great. I'd easily give it 8/10 and I'm mostly ambivalent about most platformers.

The only complaint I have is that it begins somewhat slow (should start with dash IMO) and that some bosses/areas aren't as good as they could be - but those are just minor complains in the face of an incredible product. The fact that it was 15$ on release is absurd; I'd easily pay twice that and still feel good about the buy.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

suuuuuuuuuuuuper hyped for mario maker 2. and links awakening remake. gonna be great!

7. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Maybe after Link's Awakening, they'll remake the Oracle games? Also Daemon X Machina and the new Platinum offering looked fun. The rest of the direct was kind of meh though, either everything was just not my genre like Rune Factory 5 or already known about like DQ11 S and Joker in Smash.

8. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I'm wondering about Ocarina of Time. They've already re-released it before on the Gamecube and 3DS; maybe they'll go for a full remake next.

(Though I still haven't completed it yet.)

9. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

They already did that, it's called Twilight Princess. But seriously, the 3DS version is as close as it's likely going to get to a remake. Maybe a switch port of the 3DS remake.

10. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

So Tetris 99 made me realize that not only am I not that good at tetris, but that there's at least 98 other people waiting at all times to let me know that I'm not all that good at tetris. Fun game, hard to play drunk. Worth every penny I spent on it.

11. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What we need is a sequel to Twilight Princess.

12. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Fuck, now I'm reminded that Golden Power went off the rails and stopped updating ages ago to boot.

13. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So...a total conversion of Skyrim showed up on my store page.

Enderal: Forgotten Stories

It's free and is a huge game. So far the story is epic. It's by a group of modders called SureAi

and they've done previous conversion for oblivion and morrowind.

Spent past few hours playing it and its a blast so far. Great story, really mind blowing and fun gameplay.

Enjoying it more than Skyrim personally.

14. Nazgoose

High Score:
    Started playing it yesterday, and it's super fun. Played for about six hours straight, I think the last game to grab me like that was Child of Light so I'm having a blast. Only real complaint is no warning that dying twice means the geo is lost forever. Had about 900 and died trying to reach my shade only to lose it all...

15. blob

blob Seventh Year

Enderal looks pretty good, yeah - it’s what unmodded Skyrim could’ve been if Bethesda could do anything besides worldmap well. The first 'city' alone has more character than half of Oldrim IMO, and the quests I've explored so far are solid. The story itself is supposed to have a lot more 'mature' feel than the usual cookie-cutter RPGs and I'm curious what they came up with. So far I enjoyed the hell out of dialogues and just immersing myself in the world; haven't done much of the main story yet.

Arguably the best part is how alive the world feels. River...something (the first city) feels like something on a whole other level compared to anything Skyrim offers. Similarly, the market in Arc feels ten times livelier than the dead Solitude, with shopkeepers shouting about their wares, children and dogs running around... it's clearly a game that's been crafted with love.

My biggest complaint is that the combat is kinda shit, possibly even worse than unmodded Skyrim. Magic especially feels incredibly unsatisfying, and after finally acquiring Fireball and realizing the area of the spell is like a fifth of what I'm used to I broke down and modded it to hell and back - so now it's fun but I'm way too OP on second-highest difficulty. There's also the fact that I have little idea how skillpoints work; there's the obvious (though slightly underwhelming) 'memory' system aka perks but there's also the whole skillbook system and I'm uncertain if going from 15 to 75 elementalism did anything at all.

Plenty of the skill systems seem... rather superfluous, in fact; you'll only need alchemy and the like on the highest difficulty, but said difficulty is more tedious than challenging just like legendary in Skyrim. Enchanting is all but worthless without the biggest soulgems, but once I found three and enchanted all the things with mana regen I suddenly went from being a scrub to INFINITE SPELLS - there's literally no in-between, either you get laughable +3 to $stat or like +15 from a good gem. Rhethoric is sadly under-utilized in base game, but I heard it's employed in quite a few places in the new part of the story (and you'll save $$ in the long run with it, so it's the only useful stat to spend your crafting points on TBH).
    I'd love for an 'EnaiRim' overhaul of Enderal to appear, but alas.

If you can, play it in German - excellent voice-acting all around.

There's a bank in-game, at the very bottom of Fog Canyon. There's also a fun easter egg there but I'll let you figure it out yourself.

I'd also recommend getting only one or two nail upgrades rather than all three - you'll be able to nuke most things with all upgrades which TBH isn't as fun as playing the mechanics.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm playing it on normal difficulty, but I never really mastered Skyrim either, so I'm obviously not speaking from a skilled player perspective, but I'm really enjoying the combat. I'm always concerned something could kill me. Even mud crabs hit like a mother and I have to always be conscious of blocking/dodging.

So I enjoy the combat. I do agree some of the skills seems useless.

Also,
    Perhaps this might be what you're looking for?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78118

Enderal already has its own workshop page and that mod is in the workshop. So, maybe you'll enjoy that more?

17. Nazgoose

High Score:
    I'm 16 hours in and just found the nailsmith... Went the other way and explored everything else in the City of Tears before looking at that part of the map... Was despairing of ever figuring out how to hit harder lol.

EDIT: My God I think that first upgrade doubled my damage. Do the enemies not scale with this? Because I definitely see what you mean. Guys I had to dance around I just whack and murder now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  18. blob

blob Seventh Year

Thanks for the rec but the problem cannot be fixed by any single mod - I just don’t find Skyrim’s combat good, and it took over 40 combat and AI related mods in Oldrim to make it reasonably good in the first place. For now I just murder things at range and if enemies close too quickly I either sprint away, waste a third of my mana on short-range teleport or die. Mages are absolute murder though with all spells travelling twice as fast and killing me in 2-3 hits lol.

Any deep overhauls are incompatible with Enderal, and tbh I don’t have the time to write my own compatibility patches and tweak things too deeply. I even doubt that the overhaul you linked is safe to use now - haven’t checked it but there’s been a lot of changes from the previous version so I’d hold off for a few days.

For now I threw in Wildcat and a few spell packs which I tweaked to roughly resemble Enderal’s power-scaling. It’s good enough for now; I’ll see if I can’t mangle a freshly-released Arcanum which seems a breath of fresh air but probably won’t play nice with Enderal (shame it’s built on base game rather than base+DLC).

Re nailsmith: dayum, it must’ve been painful to miss this guy.
    Enemies don’t scale, and first nail upgrade is the most important by far. The way it works is that you do base 5 damage and there’s four upgrades total - with each upgrade goving you flat bonus of 4 dmg (so 1st upg- 9, 2nd- 13 and so on).
    Since there’s 4 upgrades total and not 3, a single nail upg isn’t much - I’d probably go for 2, and maybe get the 3rd towards the very end of the game if you’re having a hard time with the dream bosses or the last stage of the Colliseum. Some stuff can be really challenging, especially without black dash (true ending needs it btw).

Learn nail arts btw - they’re not really necessary to finish but they feel seamless to use when you figure out how to work them into combat.

19. Nazgoose

High Score:
    @blob: Yeah I lost all my geo a number of times because things just would not die lol... Oh well, got really good at dodging and reading attacks. Did come to realize that geo is a little worthless. Just moving around and killing things that are directly in my way farms up plenty of it. Also found the relic guy, had been wondering what those were for...

On Nail Arts, is there a non-spoilery way for you to tell me how to find them? Or should I just keep playing until I stumble across them?

20. blob

blob Seventh Year

I don’t remember that well myself tbh - there’s 3 of them but only one nail art is really vital imo. Difficult to say which areas you’re familiar with and which you have yet to explore - it’s entirely possible to miss a whole chunk of the game (I never visited the hive for example).

Light apoilers ahead, obv:
    One is somewhere in the western area with all the thorns, I think you need one of the movement upgrades to reach him
    One is somewhere in the area where the ash falls (Kingdom’s Edge or sth?), you’ll find him by just running around
    The third one is somewhere to the west of Hallownest. It’s difficult to say much without spoiling - either you already saw that part of the map or you will in time and it’s neat to realize how connected the map is.

Not open for further replies.