1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP A Discordant Note by Noodlehammer – M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Jon, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Title: A Discordant Note
    Author: Noodlehammer
    Rating: M
    Words: 122,566
    Published: Aug 14, 2018
    Library Category: Almost Recommended
    Pairing: Harry/Luna
    Link: Link
    Summary: It only takes a single disharmonious element to throw off the entire composition. Fifty years before Robert Baratheon ascends the Iron Throne, Westeros receives one hell of a bad musician. Harry never did care about any player other than himself.

Oh boy. Where to begin with this one.

For starters it's a sequel to For Love of Magic in the same way that Noodlehammer's previous Naruto story went from Pure Naruto to crossovers. In this instance he's taken his OP Immortal Wizard-God-King Harry and transplanted him, Luna and Adrastia (Blaise's mom, OC, psychobitch chestmaster type character) into the Game of Thrones world. I'm ill equipped to comment on how accurate the world is as I have not read Game of Thrones nor have I watched the series.

Either way, Flom ended with a 500 year skip forward after Harry decided to Magically Irradiate the HP world and making the mistake of waking up Voldemort to check on the Prophecy. Voldemort did Voldemort things and Harry, Luna and Adrastia got flung to the new world.

There's a healthy dose of exploring the Game of Thrones world, more so than the characters and a generous helping of city building going on off to the side as Harry sets himself up beyond the wall.

Overall I'd say I enjoy this story a lot more than the original as Harry himself isn't as... well, you know. Though he definitely retains a lot of the same personality quirks and issues in the original.

I read this whenever it updates which is every few months. I'd say it's definitely a step up from where Flom ended, but how big a step up remains to be seen and is definitely down to personal opinion.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  2. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've not re-read FLoM but from what I remember that also started pretty well only to spiral quickly downwards so this could go exactly the same way.

3. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

This one is WAY better than FLOM, but when Noodlehammer jumps the shark, he transcends speed boats and uses aircraft carriers. Overall, the exploration of ASOIAF deities is fun and the lack of any credible threat to Harry is bad. The Night King and Walkers are gonna have to be ludicrously powerful to pose any threat to him because any human being in Westeros surely doesn't.

3/5 ish, but I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Probably when he has Harry monologue about how X-Westerosi Religion reminds him too much of dirty muslims.

4. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

Noodlehammer clearly has done some research into the ASOIAF world and knows a lot about canon. But the magic and Gods are way more powerful and influencing than they are in canon. Although that might mostly be because Harry can sense them and talk to them and nobody else can. He expanded on what we know from ASOIAF canon, which took away some of the mystery but was still interesting.

I think the best part of the fic is the magic and deity exploring like others have mentioned before. Noodlehammer probably takes most of these ideas from other stories that I'm not familiar with but it's still very enjoyable. While Harry is definitively too powerful for there to be any real tension, I think he left himself some room to play with. In ASOIAF magic was "dead" until the dragons hatched with Daenerys and there was some foreshadowing that magic is currently still "dead" but can be reborn and Harry has dragon eggs that he is planning to hatch in the future. He has said that he doesn't know what the dragons effect would be on the world but he clearly expects something big. Given how knowledgable Noodlehammer's Harry is, he is probably right. So once the dragons are born the Gods could actually be strengthened quite a bit and pose a threat to Harry, although I kinda doubt that Noodlehammer will make Harry struggle a lot (looking back at FLoM).

All in all an enjoyable (if guilty pleasure) fic.

5. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Best part of Noodlehammer's writing has always been the Magical Anthropology aspect of it, which given that this is a completely new world he's had to step up to 11, which makes for an overall much more enjoyable fic.

That said, dude still thinks the way he does, so there's going to be some people that don't like it when he writes shit like "At least males got a more logical brain."

Me personally, I'm a gamer, which means I hate women, so it's a perfect fit really.

But in all seriousness, if you liked the world building in the previous story, can put aside the rampant misogyny and you enjoy "faction building" stories, you'll probably at least enjoy this as well.

6. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's his best sequel story. And I'm speaking as someone who's read all of Noodlehammer's fics.

At this point, people should know what they're getting into. He's got some ...strong opinions on gender and religion, and he'll preach in his fics. He's a self-confessed basement dweller, and 'Harry' is his idealized SI.

That said, I overall like his fics. The writing is good, he's got a lot of unique ideas, it never feels like I've read this a hundred times before. If you liked his original Naruto fic or the earlier/middle parts of his HP fic, you'll probably like this.

7. Shodan

Shodan Second Year

I haven't read For Love of Magic, but because good HP/GoT crossovers are hard to find, I decided to give this a try. It was pretty easy to get what's going on even without knowing the prequel, and I agree that this story explores the world of Game of Thrones in a novel, interesting way. Harry messing/ interacting with the gods of the various religions is fun, and the reactions of most characters to a wizard suddenly appearing are somewhat realistic.

And yet, I stopped reading after a few chapters. Despite the stories redeeming qualities, there are many things that feel like blatant (and sometimes rather disturbing) wish-fulfillment. From what I've read in the thread for For Love of Magic, this is probably a common issue with the author's fics, but I'm going to quote a few things for people not familiar with him.

Not only are Harry's relationships completely ridiculous, he's also building a copy of Isengard [and for some reason he calls it Dol Guldur].

...Okay? If it was the authors goal to create a completely unlikable protagonist, congratulations. But a) this character has nothing in common with canon Harry, and b) why does every interaction in this story seem to revolve around sex? (I didn't quote it, but the above paragraphs take place while Harry fucks Blaise Zabinis mom, who is also bound wearing some kind of magical slave collar for some reason?).

And the thing is, while Harry says that he has "One Golden Rule", he proceeds to kidnap women to create a horde of magical children anyways.

I don't really get what's going on here, but it seems like Harry and Luna have sex and Luna gives birth to a tree-thing, which is an avatar of the Old Gods or whatever?

Yeah, no, this one's not for me. 2/5 because the writing is technically decent and the author has a few really good ideas, but it feels like he was constantly horny while writing this.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  8. Jon

I'm pretty sure everyone's least favorite part about Noodlehammer is the gratuitous pointless smut. Unfortunately he's a bit of a cunt, so the moment anyone complains about it he adds even more to the next chapter. You learn to skip over it and pretend it doesn't exist.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here we are, trying to produce some good shit, and there goes Noodlehammer, writing what is perhaps the purest, most distilled form of fanfiction.

It's all about the smut, really.

10. Longsword

Longsword Banned

You skip over all the smut, then suddenly Harry has added two more wives to his collection and a new city has been built.

11. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Stories like this are so perplexing to me.

Why make Harry even more powerful when his canon version would already be the most powerful being in the setting?

I only read a couple of chapters of this and everything that happened could be done with just canon spells.

12. Fudoutoku

Fudoutoku Fourth Year DLP Supporter

Because the power is irrelevant.

Harry is just a vehicle to explore the world through.

That, and the smut ofc.

13. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

A Discordant Note has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 138,571
    Updated: 2019-04-06 06:11:06 UTC
    Published: 2018-08-13 20:37:47 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 month ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

14. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 149,725
    Updated: 2019-04-28 08:31:14 UTC
    Previously updated: 22 days ago

15. Jon

Thing of this update:

Luna demanding anime tits and ass for her new undead body.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  16. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Also a lot of odd sexism towards woman being in war.

17. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I mean I won't entirely disagree because the tone of the author (as it is most of the time) was quite sexist, but that doesn't mean he's completely wrong. Integrating women into a professional fighting force has historically been fraught with difficulty, and it would especially be so with a population they're barely moving beyond the bronze age as it is.

18. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

Figure I should leave an actual review, if you ever sit down and read this story, you probably are not going to like Harry, he is an actual psychopath with no redeeming features. For one he meets Aegon V, the best Targ King there ever was, and the closest to an egalitarian that Westeros ever saw, and instead of doing everything to help out Aegon, or at least just throwing him a fucking bone in the way of dragons, Harry shuts the dude down and lets the people there suffer through feudalism. Oh and when Summerhall happens Harry doesn't even shed a tear, and the honest to god audiacity to criticze Aegon, who has no experience with magics, ritual he used. Like dude you could've helped him or prevented in anyway.

Fuck this Harry he is shit.

Also fuck this Luna, she is literally just a bimbo at this point. Her entire personality is just "Grandbabies" so ignore her as much as possible.

Adrastia, or whatever, yeah probably the most interesting of the trio, that came over from HP, because she is the only one with any active plan or desire to do anything, other than Harrys halfassed idea to make a new god. She tries to actively seize power through marriages and the like. Its mildly interesting.

So yeah the three main characters are garbage. Harry also has like 20 kids from various wives he married among the Freefolk. Honestly I can barely keep track of them, there are like the two in Skagos, and the two in Thenn, and like 3 daughters or something. Some of them are fairly interesting I guess, but they share screen time with like a dozen other characters so its impossible to get attached or really relate.

So, lets talk plot, there isn't any, there is that like ever present looming threat of the White Walkers I guess, but its barely mentioned at this point, and this is the late reign of Aegon 5 so its a ways away. Its mostly just Harry fucking around, his kids doing somethings, and Adrastia is trying to conquer Westeros in different ways.

So yeah, despite all that I'd give a 3/5, just for the interesting ideas, and the whole exploration of god mechanics in Westeros. But its Noodlehammer, its going to start getting shit soon.

19. valrie

valrie Fifth Year

New chapter out. It was alright except that half the damn chapter was about how good their new bodies are for fucking... But hopefully that was an exception for the new bodies and it'll fade into the backgtound again in the next chapters. It just bothers me to see an update with 14k words but 5k are just useless. At least something interesting is happening at the end

20. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 164,499
    Updated: 2019-05-10 07:34:33 UTC
    Previously updated: 12 days ago