1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not much m+ for me this week because I’m running ragged trying to push both my rogue and warlock through the raid, both at 390 or so - the gear funnel is best used on other people in my guild.

High purple low orange parses on assassination on the first four heroic bosses, also a rank 2 world execution guild parse on Rasta, where I played lock. (Also played lock on conclave)

Mekka and possibly Stormwall tonight. I’ve got high hopes for this tier!

Next week be volcanic raging, gonna be some fun shit in keys. I’ll be pull a 12 out of the chest on the rogue which is mostly the m+ character. Still have to get weekly 10 done on the lock I think.

Feels nice to be getting gear upgrades again.

2. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I must be good luck or something. First time I check the wow subreddit in a month and the first thing I see is a method world first about 30 seconds old.

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I woke up about an hour early before my alarm and rather than try to get some sleep I checked some emails and checked twitch out about 5 mins before the world first kill. Wasn't expecting that.

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

This raid has been pretty fun. There are 3 bosses which I think are just standard: Champion, Grong and Stormwall. They're pretty straightfoward, nothing really amazing in terms of mechanics. The other 6 have pretty cool visuals, thematic, and mechanics. Mekkatorque and Jaina in particular are pretty nice. I never get tired of being shrunk and running around yelling at my teammates to not step on me while I'm trying to reach those bots.

Also, Reaping (new affix) is pretty cool.

5. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

I've kind of had bad luck as far as progression is concerned in the Dazar'Alor raid. Completed 5/9 Normal, 3/9 Heroic and 1/9 Mythic PuG lol. And I just reached iLvl 400 yesterday.
    But I've had the most incredible luck as far as BoE drops are concerned. I shit you not, I've sold about 5 ilvl 400 pieces, 1 ilvl 405 piece and 3 ilvl 385 pieces from Dazar'alor release to yesterday. Stocked up on tokens for the next 3-4 months now.

6. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Trial weekend lured my friends back in. Guess I’m playing WoW again this weekend...

7. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Funny, free weekend affirmed for me that it's not really worth playing WoW again. I pre-bought BFA and never played because my son was born and then I hopped back on during free weekend and leveled to 120.

I realized that even as casual as WoW has gotten, I don't have the ability to just sit down for 30 or more minutes right now and zone out the world, which really knocks a lot of content out. Can't raid, can't do mythics, I don't pvp, so basically I could level alts (doing all the exact same content again) and...? It doesn't seem like there's anything actually worth doing.

This xpac is super cognitively dissonant too. I was doing the roughnecks quest and someone asked "are you tough enough to be a Roughneck? I guess we will find out..." and I was flabbergasted. Bitch, how many fucking Titans have you faced? I've went toe to toe with (Jaraxxus) Eredar Lords of the Burning Legion. I've slain Kil'jaden and Argus, two of the most powerful bad guys ever. I've earned the friendship and trust of the Paladins of the Silver Hand. Who the fuck do you think you are?

The Alliance has access to fucking space ships. Do you think I care about some trolls (who got their ass beat by the ancient night elf empire, by the way) and their wooden ships? Or maybe some chubby humans and their stupid ass ships? Listen, friend, use the spaceship and wipe all the Horde cities off the map.

Also I'm friggen tired of losing flying every xpac.

8. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Flying is one of the worst things that ever happened to this game. Although, I can't deny how convenient it is.

9. wrestlingfan1

wrestlingfan1 First Year

that is true i remember you could only fly during burning crusades at max level. but it is convent

10. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

But you sorta had to, what with outlands floating inthe twisting nether and all that.

The other big mistake was not salvage boxes in Draenor. It was what fucked up the whole economy.

11. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Ehh, while the salvages boxes alone were good, it was really the Garrison Mission table that was the most broken, by far. Running it on several characters is what netted me a Magic Rooster among other things.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Flying is fine, zone design didn't evolve with it though.

13. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

People that complain about flying are people pissed off they can't gank people forcing them into wPvP.

14. Ankan

Ankan Professor

You just taught me something new about myself, thanks.

No seriously, flying is probably among one of the worst changes that I've seen ever since I begun playing. It's up there with stuff like the money-store, LFR and forcing personal loot.

15. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've yet to see an argument against it that isn't explained by other factors - like no reason to be in any part of the world, dungeon finder etc

Dalaran, for instance, should be a city of towering spires we have to fly amongst. Instead it's usually a no-fly zone because it's just easier.

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Basically, yeah. I wish flying had never been introduced, as it fundamentally changes the way players interact with the world. The biggest, though by no means only, issue is really the way aggro works with flying. Flying mounts mean you can get from point A to very nearly anywhere else in the world with next to no threat. Which as a direct result makes the world feel much smaller and less dangerous.

Put another way, it removes the risk of travel, and that makes it boring, the cardinal sin of game design.

But there's definitely also several ways to mitigate, or even eliminate, the issues that it introduces. Zone design is the most obvious of them, and one blizzard never really realized. There's a few decent flying zones, storm peaks, netherstorm, etc, where the scenery and setting are engaging in its own right, but even those are far from perfect.

Personally, I'd prefer weather being a meaningful thing in the game. For example, flying during rainstorms has a chance to build up a static charge that you can dissipate by flying into things that span in the air around you, and if you don't, you get struck by lightning and dismounted in mid-air. Etc, etc. Just something dynamic and engaging to force players to take some risks while traveling.

17. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Timed my first 20 keys this week! Was 2 waycrests and a motherlode.

18. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

So Classic has been announced for a August 27th Release.

Ummm can people who're gonna play classic at least semi seriously, please post on which servers they're making their toons, here in this thread? Pretty please?

I don't want a repeat of my failsauce attempt at creating a DLP group. >_>

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, as someone that has very fond memories of WoW classic, but has really struggled to play after Cata, what does WoW classic actually entail? Is it basically just classic content but with all the current 'features' like LFG etc?

WoW has become extremely impersonal due to all the convenience features. Will there be multi server bgs, or groups etc? How is balance being handled? Is it redone, or is it actually all the way back to what it used to be with the old talent trees?

20. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Classic is, essentially, WoW Patch 1.13, in terms of content and features, but running on top of Legion engine. It's going fully back, all the way to the final patch of Vanilla in pretty much all respects, from a game-design perspective, but the underlying game engine, the renderer, lighting engine, input parser, etc are all Legion.

Which means that there's no cross server anything, the numbers are exactly the same when OG Naxx was new content, talent trees are back in their entirety, etc.