1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. James

James Unspeakable

Honestly

---

I'm boredly reading some random Harry/Tonks romance, when suddenly:

Dammit.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. chiefnewo

chiefnewo Second Year DLP Supporter

'Shit! What's a synonym for green that hasn't already been used for eyes a million times? Jade, no, emerald, no.... wait, plants are green! Because of chlorophyll! Genius!'

3. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    Most of the useful spells, like cleaning dishes and stuff, seem like the type of spells you could learn just by coasting along in classes. So it makes perfect sense that the average wizard seems to not be so great at magic. They know enough to live comfortable lives regardless. If I could choose to be a muggle billionaire for the rest of my life or a wizard with all of Ron's magical abilities, I would easily choose the latter. The hard magic is less useful in most people's daily lives.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's actually quite insightful.

5. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Third Year

Just being able to apparate would be worth a billion dollars .

6. arkkitehti

arkkitehti High Inquisitor

I see no reason for why a dish-cleaning spell would be inherently "easier" than, say, the killing curse; it's mostly just that people are more likely to make effort to properly learn to wash dishes by magic than they are to kill.

When you think of the physics of it, riding a bicycle is almost magic, yet most people are proficient in it by the time they turn four.

This relates to my pet peeve: equating skill in combat with general skill in magic, and vice versa.

7. Donimo

Donimo Auror

There are about seven books worth of textual evidence that some magic is harder than other.

8. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

We're mostly talking about pet peeves with fanfiction rather than with canon.

9. AgentSatan

AgentSatan Third Year

I absolutely hate it when Griphook starts getting orgasmic after Harry somehow remembers his name. The goblins then proceed to give him all the gold in gringotts, they tell him about his parents will (because gringotts obviously administers wills), give him a magical artifact that finds and destroys all the artifacts, and give him clout. All because he remembered the name of a single unimportant, stupid, vicious goblin. I swear if you want harry to be op as f then make a better way for him to be op! Preferebly one the doesn’t make me want to Kms.

10. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I came across an Iron Man Peggy Sue story a few weeks back. I'd never seen an MCU Peggy Sue before so I thought it would be interesting. By default I tick the "do not display M/M fics" box on all of my AO3 searches. This story isn't marked as slash and is specifically marked as Tony/Pepper, but throughout the fic so far Tony has flirted with almost every male character and never shown any interest in any female ones.

I can only assume the author is desperate to stick to canon pairings for some reason, but also want to live out their yaoi shipping fantasies? If you want to write slash, write slash, don't mark it as not slash. This constant flirting with every male character is jarring at best.

11. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Re-reading Ibex for the first time in probably five or six years, and the author has decided to 'improve' the quality of each chapter at the moment by peppering the scene breaks with quotes from various sources. Before it was just at the opening of a chapter, now it seems to be after every scene, and I've already closed it out once this morning because of that. And here I thought Joe was being obnoxious with three quotes at the start of that fic he wrote for the Death competition.

12. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know it's the oldest peeve in the book but it's 2019 and there are STILL bashing fics on the first page when you sort by most favourited stories published in the last year. It would be a different matter if it was updated but this is just ridiculous.

13. Silirt

Why would they stop?

14. Agent

High Score:
    I dunno, evolution? Looks like Darwin was wrong.

15. Silirt

It'll take longer than that for people who wrote stories in 2005 to die.

16. chrnno

chrnno High Inquisitor

A million years from now if humanity has expanded across the Local Group of galaxies there will still be people writing bash fics. It is only going to end when humanity does and if there are any aliens out there I have no doubt they will keep it alive even then.

17. Demonbuttersage

Demonbuttersage First Year

I would legitimately pay money if there was some way to consistently filter any and all forms of slash.

18. Agent

High Score:
    AO3 has this option though it's a double edged blade. You can exclude "m/m" and any other tags. The problem is that most stories on there have more tags than there are words in the story. If you're browsing Doctor Who, you can be sure that even if Jack Harkness only appeared for one paragraph in which he had no words, the story will be marked M/M anyway.

EDIT: Where's my money?

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  19. Silirt

It's all that underlying sexual tension the creators of the show obviously envisioned.

20. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

To be fair Jack Harkness would have underlying sexual tension with a wet mop.