1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.11

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Jun 10, 2016.

1. James

James High Inquisitor

Honestly

---

I'm boredly reading some random Harry/Tonks romance, when suddenly:

Dammit.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  2. chiefnewo

chiefnewo First Year DLP Supporter

'Shit! What's a synonym for green that hasn't already been used for eyes a million times? Jade, no, emerald, no.... wait, plants are green! Because of chlorophyll! Genius!'

3. Scarat

Scarat First Year

High Score:
    Most of the useful spells, like cleaning dishes and stuff, seem like the type of spells you could learn just by coasting along in classes. So it makes perfect sense that the average wizard seems to not be so great at magic. They know enough to live comfortable lives regardless. If I could choose to be a muggle billionaire for the rest of my life or a wizard with all of Ron's magical abilities, I would easily choose the latter. The hard magic is less useful in most people's daily lives.

4. Download

Download Dark Lord DLP Supporter

That's actually quite insightful.

5. Shadow Shaman

Shadow Shaman Second Year

Just being able to apparate would be worth a billion dollars .

6. arkkitehti

arkkitehti Groundskeeper

I see no reason for why a dish-cleaning spell would be inherently "easier" than, say, the killing curse; it's mostly just that people are more likely to make effort to properly learn to wash dishes by magic than they are to kill.

When you think of the physics of it, riding a bicycle is almost magic, yet most people are proficient in it by the time they turn four.

This relates to my pet peeve: equating skill in combat with general skill in magic, and vice versa.

7. Donimo

Donimo Groundskeeper

There are about seven books worth of textual evidence that some magic is harder than other.

8. Silirt

Silirt Professor DLP Supporter

We're mostly talking about pet peeves with fanfiction rather than with canon.