1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'm not sure the diary would have resurrected Tom. The sixteen year old wizard probably didn't know as much as the older form, and he decided it would be easier to kidnap Harry fucking Potter than use a horcrux to possess someone, so if we're saying that's a possibility, we're diverging from canon a little.
    I too am writing a long AU, and I've already published the first two books, so I'm definitely interested in this sort of thing, but if your goal in this effort is to have Harry fight Death Eaters, why diverge from canon? The whole point of making him be the boy who lived in canon was to give him a reason to fight them, rather than say 'I'm a kid, what the hell does this have to do with me?'. If he has no adventures between book 2 and book 6, how much magical knowledge and experience is he supposed to have? The whole point of learning more magic than the other kids in canon was so that he could stand a chance in the Triwizard Tournament.
    Honestly everything you have going on here seems like it would make Harry less likely and really less able to fight the Death Eaters.

2. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    @Silirt

Your post gave me a lot to think about. I've re-written this post a few times, but if I don't post it now, I might never.

There are a few reasons to deviate from canon. A lot of fics use the tragic backstory either to justify Harry doing morally questionable things, or to give him a reason to fight. I want to write a story where Harry lives a normal life, has the right guidance, and like you pointed out, no real reason to fight in the war. However, it's still Harry, and he can't just watch his parents, Remus, and Sirius fight, while he stays back. So, he joins the Order, and as the war goes on, he makes progressively more fucked up choices, and by the end, he's truly Voldemort's equal.

Canon!Harry was a "good" guy through and through, even though he had enough reason to believe the worst in people, like Tom Riddle chose to. Ultimately, the power of love is Voldemort's undoing. In my AU, Harry turns out to be a real piece of work, even though he theoretically should have ended up like canon!Harry, considering he's a good guy Gryffindor with loving parents. Just a different spin on the thrice damned prophecy, which Harry can't escape. Even if things had gone differently, and he got to grow up with his parents, things still go tits up, just in a different way. Canon!Harry lost his parents, but he had Love. This Harry has everything canon!Harry didn't, but loses his humanity on the way to defeating Voldemort.

I also realise that I could tell a very similar story if I stuck to canon and used say, one of the Weasley twins or Cedric Diggory as a character. Heck, one of the Mauraders during the war would do too, but I guess I just want the story to be about Harry.

3. Silirt

I see. In that case, perhaps the reason he fails in this story is because he never knew the value of love, never having been deprived of it. I've always believed the Dursley family basically hardened him and that in the dark of the cupboard under the stairs, he made his most formative memories. Things that would cause other kids to break down and cry challenge him, but do not defeat him.
    Anyway, it's an idea, and I know it won't leave you alone until you write it, so I'll see you in WbA.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

@why?

Harry is never going to equal Voldemort in any straight up fight. Voldemort has what? 50 years of experience on him, an obsessive interest in magic, and far more natural talent to boot. So barring the author pulling some bullshit - I'm looking at you, Rowling - he does not win. Not ever.

So what does Harry have that Voldemort lacks? He's more in touch with the muggle world and all that, more open to learning from it. This leads us down the dark path of mugglewank, and for the most part I advice you to stay away. At most, invent magical walkie-talkie or similar.

Harry also has friends. Obviously, never ever do "the power of love and friendship prevails over evil, because reason!" This is stupid. Don't do this. However, the fact that he has friends who he'd die for, and who'd likewise presumably die for him, means that they'll be willing to do some crazier stuff than most. The trust between them might also serve to improve their teamwork. It's not a huge stretch.

In the search for powerups, go through the world and worldbuild your ass off. Have Harry search for some remains of the texts of the library of Alexandria that may've been forgotten, ancient Egyptian, Aztec or Mayan tombs. Bungle in the Jungle has a lot of faults, but it did do a lot of neat worldbuilding. Explore what magic is, what it can do, and combine skillset A with skillset B.

Harry might not be able to take Voldemort alone, but if he chips away at him and his supporters, and ends up in a five on one fight vs Voldemort then maybe, just maybe, they'll stand a chance. Armies have been defeated many, many times by less formidable foes due to cleverer tactics, luck, and all sorts of circumstances. One of the things you'll need to give Harry is time. Several years. He does not win at 17. Nor at 18. Nor at 19. Maybe at 25 he's done some catching up, enough to be reasonably formidable. He could work his way up Voldemort's supporters.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@why?

My problem with your initial story idea is that if Harry isn't the BWL in your story then there's no reason why he'd be the one fighting Voldemort. He's just a kid like any other in that case. Removing the connection removes an important driving factor in the story. You'd have to add something else, some goal for Harry to work towards that ends up tying into where you want your plot to go.

Here's an idea I'm using in my own fanfic (that I might never write). Potters were traditionally inventors, and on their 17th birthday it was tradition for a Potter to unveil his first invention. There's not much to the majority of these inventions. A minor spell like ones Snape invented in school, a new prototype for a toy or candy, etc. The only major invention in recent memory was the hair gel (which is quasi-canon) and made the Potter's rich.

But Harry in my fic tries to invent something because he sees it as a right of passage. The fact that he's working on something like this can then tie into my plot as needed. Whatever he's working on or doing in pursuit of this leads him into plot that's relevant to other plotlines.

Maybe for your story you'd want to add in some other, different driving goal that Harry has from the start. A desire to get revenge for his mother himself, for example. Maybe James told him about some great trick/prank that he never managed to make work in school and Harry is trying his damnedest to make it work, and for some reason this ties into him encountering your version of LV when he wouldn't have otherwise.

And I second @Zeelthor as far as canon goes. Harry isn't on LV's level. Doesn't mean you can't write an AU in which Harry does have that potential, however. Lots of people do. But without some trump cards even a Harry with LV's potential is unlikely to reach his level by 17. But trump cards are an option. The most common ones are to do with the Hallows, as those are canon.

6. Ched

Can someone (maybe @Sey) summarize the fanon!Daphne tropes? Is she supposed to look a certain way? I know she's supposed to ... not have emotions, or something, and be pureblood, and friends with Tracey Davis?

7. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The general fanon is that her family is pureblooded and rich but kept itself from joining one side of the war too definitively, though they do keep in touch with the other purebloods who did join Voldemort. They're usually portrayed as being more "rational" than "emotional". One example is that when marriage contracts occur, they were established for mutual financial gain rather than out of repaying some debt or out of a drunken dare. Daphne's mom is sometimes mentioned as having been Lily's friend, but that's not a constant by any means. There's no consensus on the names of her parents, and they range from the normal to the more exotic.

Daphne herself is always blonde, curvaceous, and beautiful. If the moniker "Ice Queen" is applied (it often is) that's because Daphne is aloof, calm-minded, political, and doesn't really get along with Malfoy too well. Like you said, she's usually friends with Tracey Davis - who's either a muggleborn, in which case she's Slytherin Hermione, or she's a pureblood too, in which case she's Pansy Parkinson but prettier. Another of her soft spots is her sister, Astoria, who she dotes on. Daphne is usually above average in terms of grades, and proud of that fact, though she's not a bookworm. She often has a desire to travel, though that's not nearly as constant as the aforementioned traits.

8. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Second Year

What's the best year after 3 and before 7 to kill off Hermione? Not bashing or something equally as contrived, I mean a full on horror/murder mystery with Harry as it's centerpiece.

9. Ched

In a fanfic? Probably year 5 or 6.

Not a ton happened plotwise in Book6 so it's easy to add things without having to significantly adjust canon events. But do it in Book5 and we get some good distraction from the tired old tropes involving how Albus ignores Harry.

OotP or HBP for sure in my opinion. Which one depends on the rest of your story and where you're going with it.

Maybe at the end of Book5?

10. Silirt

Harry's being accused of the murder himself? What comes to mind is book four, where people would believe he killed her out of jealousy after she went out with Krum.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    I’d go with fifth year. You don’t have the full-blown awkward unresolved sexual tension of HBP, so Ron would still be somewhat useful, Voldemort is already a factor, and Harry is probably in the worst psychological state of his Hogwarts years, particularly if you put the actual point of death after the Christmas break to couple with occlumency training.

12. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Second Year

Not as such, there's going to be something clearly messed up with his headspace, and a lot of circumstantial evidence that points towards him. Basically, I've got like six paragraphs so far, and I'm trying to figure out where to go with it.

E: I've got a general outline that I can mold fairly easily, I just need the year as the general setting.

13. Silirt

I see. Basically, the one thing I think you really need is a motive. Without that, no one would believe he did it in a million years. In book five he was accused of being a madman and trying to gain attention for himself, and for understandable reasons he wasn't really reacting with the ultimate height of maturity, so I guess you could have him have a public argument with Hermione, who then disappears and is later found dead.

14. StrangeReport

StrangeReport Squib

Hello. I'd like a few opinions on a bunny that I am considering right now.

I've been toying with the idea of writing a story in which the prophecy refers to Harry and Neville. In this way:

In this case, Snape did not overhear the prophecy. Voldemort continued to grow in power. Most people that oppose him live hidden and/or joined the Order. Dumbledore more or less keeps tabs on the children that could fulfill the prophecy, and once he gets to the point in which he knows that only Harry or Neville can be the 'chosen one', he keeps them and their families close(ish), helping and teaching them.

Harry's parents are murdered by Voldemort at one point, and he ends up being raised by (still thinking about that). Either way, he and Neville grow up as close friends.

Voldemort's power begins to grow past the country, and basically all of wizarding Britain is under his power (political, social and everything that comes with that).

Somehow (still considering that), they find that the prophecy now refers to Neville and the Dark Lord.

Someone (I'm seriously considering Dumbledore) kills Voldemort. And, of course, due to it not being what the prophecy stated, Dumbledore gets confused.

After Voldemort's death, people try to catch the DEs and unmarked supporters of his. Society is in disarray due to his death and the fact that most politicians were under his command. A few people (Harry included here, but I still haven't thought of which others) decide to go and basically kill most of Voldemort's supports (DE or not).

Not everyone agrees with that, etc.

Neville watches as his friend, who has always been a bit more radical than he, not so slowly spirals down in a path of violence. He understands that the Dark Lord of the prophecy was not Voldemort, but Harry.

That understanding is "the power he knows not". And he acts by:

1) Killing Harry before he can truly become what the prophecy would refer to as "Dark Lord" (though I'd really want to avoid using "Dark Lord" as a title that exists as if it were a job description or something like that, as many fics do);
    or
    2) Obliviating Harry from any knowledge about magic, placing him in a good place in the muggle world and keeping tabs on him to see if everything is sound. The way he sees it, obliviating completely someone is just like killing them.​

What I need are opinions on the main points where this story could wrong/fall into plotholes.

One thing I am very out of options is how to have the Longbottoms defy Harry three times - I'm thinking of them opposing his joining the order while he's still very young, and then opposing his post-Voldemort killing spree, but those sound kinda lame, especially the second.

15. Ched

Hey there! Rather than quote I'm just going to insert my comments after yours. Yours are in blue.

Harry's parents are murdered by Voldemort at one point, and he ends up being raised by (still thinking about that). Either way, he and Neville grow up as close friends.

Given where you're going with the rest of this I'd suggest Sirius, honestly. Sirius could be his canon self but just being raised by a Black he'd have access to things (and maybe people) who might not outright encourage him to go dark but would provide tools. Even if Harry is never encouraged to be dark/evil just the fact that a lot of the Blacks (other than Sirius) and their possessions aren't really encouraging him to be good either might help you out with characterization.

Neville watches as his friend, who has always been a bit more radical than he, not so slowly spirals down in a path of violence. He understands that the Dark Lord of the prophecy was not Voldemort, but Harry.
    That understanding is "the power he knows not".

Here's where you sort of lose me. Why does Neville suddenly understand this? I'm willing to buy that Neville comes to this conclusion but reading your two options below it sounds like you are are planning to have Neville get things sorted out before Harry ever has a chance to become what the prophecy is referring to. Therefore the prophecy isn't fulfilled (in my mind). If your story is going to hinge so much on prophecy shenanigans that seems a bit like a cheat.

Either option 1 or 2 can work for me but it's the above that isn't working for me at the moment. Neville stopping Harry before he becomes the Dark Lord he has to stop is not what the prophecy says? Or maybe it could be interpreted that way - just be aware you want to have this nailed down in-story for it to work.

One thing I am very out of options is how to have the Longbottoms defy Harry three times - I'm thinking of them opposing his joining the order while he's still very young, and then opposing his post-Voldemort killing spree, but those sound kinda lame, especially the second.

I expect this to be the least of your problems. These instances of defying Harry haven't got to be in grand combat but things like defying him the right to join the order. Not just oppose it - but actually be the reason he doesn't join as young as he wants to. Saying "oppose" is wimping out, give it teeth. They stop him going on his post-Voldemort killing spree, and he misses out completely on the one raid/whatever he wanted to go on the most. He gets around them later and joins the people out killing the Death Eaters, but they still stopped him the first time. The third time could be more flat-out Neville vs Harry and you could tie into Neville's revelation about Harry being the Dark Lord from the prophecy - Neville defies Harry in something, realizes the path Harry is treading, and these events lead to Neville's realization of what the prophecy really means.
    Edit: Could Neville's "power he knows not" be more like... visions or flashes of the future or something? That's dumb and a power-up we didn't have in canon, but that could be how he discovers that Harry is the one who will turn into the Dark Lord he is prophesized to defeat. I just don't like the idea of giving Neville a power like that when it's not remotely in canon, but I like the idea of it. Could be more than a hindrance than a help even, just one that eventually leads him to that understanding?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  16. StrangeReport

StrangeReport Squib

Thank you for your reply. Actually, Harry would be well on the path to become a dark wizard, but maybe he would some stuff in secret. Since he and Neville grew up together, though, Harry would have some trust in him, and that's how Neville realizes how far he has already gone.

Somehow, though, this entire idea seems sillier today because of the wording of the prophecy. It would lead me to treat "Dark Lord" as something that exists outside of Voldemort's delusions of self-importance.

17. Villanelle

Villanelle Groundskeeper

High Score:
    So, I've thought of a less ambitious idea.

What would have happened in the summer after fourth year, if the Department of Mysteries were unplottable, and not within the MoM?

It occured to me that I'd never seen the DoM be anywhere but there until I read Echoes in the Fog, where it's a huge, ominous building located where the old Minisry used to be.

It could be hidden by a fidelius, and not even be in the same dimension. Whatever the case, Voldemort would have to delay obtaining the prophecy, or maybe even forgo attempting to.

I'm not sure where I'd wanna take this, but if this is new info to Tom, would he then anounce his return earlier? Or still be wary of Harry being his undoing, and focus on the continent, and Durmstrang instead?

edit:

Or Dumbledore knows of such an artefact that could hide the prophecy and tells Harry to not go looking for it, like he did with the third floor in year one, lmao.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Occam says, if all ya want is an AU where Voldemort can't get the prophecy (easily), then there exists no Hall of Prophecies as they never are recorded.

Also, I'spose what you get is the old, old Post-GoF stories, where Trewlaney is in danger. Voldemort still wants to hear the prophecy, and that's the only other remotely possible source, even if she doesn't appear to remember.

19. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

What are some pitfalls I should look to avoid in writing a fic with a time jump. Is a time jump a bad idea in general?

Here's the basic napkin pitch of the story: Harry overpowers Wormtail at the graveyard and is able to destroy the baby Voldemort, so Voldemort is not resurrected. He returns to Hogwarts and has a debrief with Dumbledore, with Albus pretty much saying "Look, you've done great and bought us some time. But we both know he's coming back. I want you to complete your final two years of education here and then we're going to finish this together." At this point DD also tells Harry about the prophecy.

At this point I figure I want to work in a time jump, skipping fifth and sixth years and opening up the summer before seventh, on Harry's birthday, where Order members are going to move him out of Privet Drive. I think the divergence of having Voldemort again in shade/horcrux form instead of resurrected would make fifth and sixth years pretty boring--by Hogwarts terms--mostly focusing on Harry studying (I see no reason for Umbridge, for example, because Dumbledore has no reason to try and convince the Ministry Voldemort is back and get on Fudge's bad side). So I don't want to write two years of studying/boarding school slice of life.

Anyway, does this sort of time jump make sense? Would it be too jarring? How much or how little should I refer back to things that have happened the past two years?

I also want to work in some Albus mentoring Harry, but I wonder what's the best sort of balance between what he did in sixth year canon (which I think was not enough) and just having Albus make Harry way too OP by teaching him his special Belgian dueling stance or whatever.

Would it be in character for Albus to say something like "I will teach you, but you'll need to build the groundwork for it. I'll start teaching you after you've completed year seven. You'll need X, Y, and Z NEWTS." Obviously with proper Dumbledore dialog rather than my abridged version ;)

20. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Interesting one.

If it were me, I'd start the story at the time-jump. As in, when the action really gets going. You'll need to weave in the canon-divergence, but again, if it were me, I'd start the story with Dumbledore teaching Harry post-Hogwarts.

The failed resurrection in the graveyard could be explained in a single line.

'We know he came close in that graveyard, Headmaster,' Harry said, scratching at his stubbly cheeks. 'I stopped him then, but we both know this doesn't end until one of us is in the ground, and stays there.'

A good piece of writing advice I was given was to start your story as close to the end as possible. Trust that your readers will pick up the divergence points and run with it. I wouldn't want to slog through two or three filler chapters getting people up to speed. That's sloppy.