1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

That gives me an idea, actually, to start the story at the year end feast. Dumbledore announces his retirement, to the shock of all the students save for Harry, who of course knows that he and the Headmaster now have a job to do.

I don't really know why I was so wed to starting w/ the graveyard and then jumping to seventh year.

Well, I do, actually. It was because I've already written a chunk of the graveyard stuff and obviously since I had written it I felt it was important and could never, ever be scrapped.

But you're right. I should start where the story starts.

Joe
  2. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Those are the ones worth reading. :)

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

If it was me I'd probably do the graveyard bit as a single prologue chapter then start the story later on.

But prologues usually aren't really needed, so I'm on board with skipping it. But personally? Yeah. One chapter prologue.

4. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can hardly be bothered to post my fic to FFnet, but I'm contemplating opening an account on AO3 or one of the other fanfic sites in an attempt to dredge up some of the attention which fuels my writing.

Is it worth posting on AO3, or is traffic there low? Is there anywhere I should be posting a HP fic? Should I be DLP exclusive and only allow my elite comrades here to read what I write?

Questions. Hmm.

5. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

I personally do the majority of my fanfic reading on ao3 these days - the community is a lot more active and it's easy to find specific tropes. I do feel like people comment a bit less than on ffn though.

6. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Also, FFN spams ads on mobile, whereas AO3 runs on donations, so doesn't have those. Plus, the mobile site actually works really nicely, rather than being a steaming torrent of shit.

7. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh, I mainly use the FFNet app which isn't too bad.

8. BeastBoy

BeastBoy Seventh Year

One major thing the FFNet app has going for it (for me, anyway) is its Text to Speech functionality. With AO3 I have to download the fic and then open up the .epub in a different app. Not a huge bother, but a few extra steps that FFNet cuts out for me.

Of course, I don't imagine many people listen to fics so this is probably a very small issue.

9. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm looking for a word which is on the tip of my tongue.

It is similar to "predicted" or "preview" but neither of those. Its use is to refer back to something previously only touched upon or hinted at. It is a quite formal, almost archaic word.

I.e. at the beginning of a text you mention something in passing. Then later in the text you write "as pre-xxx above...." and then you go into the topic in proper detail.

I'm fairly certain it begins with "pre-". It may also contain the letter L. It's basically a synonym for "hinted at", "touched upon" or "alluded to", but the thesaurus isn't turning it up when I put those in.

10. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Preestablished? It's a lot stronger than "hinted at", but its the only word I can think of that fullfills all your specifications.

11. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

foreshadowed

-edit-

also, predicated (not to be confused with predicted)

12. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Prelibation?

13. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Prefaced, I'm thinking. Possibly preambled. As a stretch, proffered or in prelusion.

14. D.H.

D.H. Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Predilect/Predilection

Doesn't quite fit the definition, but it sounds right.

15. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I have one question:

Is suicide an acceptable option when you realise the fourth chapter of your story could very well be the first? It feels as if I've just wasted two months of my life writing superfluous nonsense.

I've been doing some research and I think pills are the way to go. Thoughts?

16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Welcome to what happens to so many of us. Almost everyone starts the story too early at some point.

Sucks but suck it up. You are not alone.

((Also don't kill yourself, srsly))

17. Nexis

Nexis Third Year

High Score:
    Well, you do get better at writing by writing, so even if you won't publish those chapters, it's okay, since the ones that you do publish will be better cause of it. At least that's what I'd like to think.

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Part of the process is going back to that thing you wrote a year or two ago and realising "Huh, this is complete garbage." If you realise something from the past is bad, you've clearly learned from writing it. Now you just gotta bite the metaphorical bullet, scrap the old stuff, and start fresh. Good luck! :)

19. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

I would take some inspiration from the successful writers and do it the slow way, so pour yourself some whiskey!

20. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I feel attacked.

@Niez, the writing advice tends toward starting the story as close to the end as possible. That does not discount prologues, or you as the writer finding the start point even if it takes a meandering path to get there.

If you recognise that the story is better off starting at Chapter Four, just remember that most people never get to Chapter Four, and those that do rarely have the courage to ax the first three unnecessary chapters.