1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

Questions about YOUR FANFIC that don't deserve their own thread...

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ched, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

Hey there! Rather than quote I'm just going to insert my comments after yours. Yours are in blue.

Harry's parents are murdered by Voldemort at one point, and he ends up being raised by (still thinking about that). Either way, he and Neville grow up as close friends.

Given where you're going with the rest of this I'd suggest Sirius, honestly. Sirius could be his canon self but just being raised by a Black he'd have access to things (and maybe people) who might not outright encourage him to go dark but would provide tools. Even if Harry is never encouraged to be dark/evil just the fact that a lot of the Blacks (other than Sirius) and their possessions aren't really encouraging him to be good either might help you out with characterization.

Neville watches as his friend, who has always been a bit more radical than he, not so slowly spirals down in a path of violence. He understands that the Dark Lord of the prophecy was not Voldemort, but Harry.
    That understanding is "the power he knows not".

Here's where you sort of lose me. Why does Neville suddenly understand this? I'm willing to buy that Neville comes to this conclusion but reading your two options below it sounds like you are are planning to have Neville get things sorted out before Harry ever has a chance to become what the prophecy is referring to. Therefore the prophecy isn't fulfilled (in my mind). If your story is going to hinge so much on prophecy shenanigans that seems a bit like a cheat.

Either option 1 or 2 can work for me but it's the above that isn't working for me at the moment. Neville stopping Harry before he becomes the Dark Lord he has to stop is not what the prophecy says? Or maybe it could be interpreted that way - just be aware you want to have this nailed down in-story for it to work.

One thing I am very out of options is how to have the Longbottoms defy Harry three times - I'm thinking of them opposing his joining the order while he's still very young, and then opposing his post-Voldemort killing spree, but those sound kinda lame, especially the second.

I expect this to be the least of your problems. These instances of defying Harry haven't got to be in grand combat but things like defying him the right to join the order. Not just oppose it - but actually be the reason he doesn't join as young as he wants to. Saying "oppose" is wimping out, give it teeth. They stop him going on his post-Voldemort killing spree, and he misses out completely on the one raid/whatever he wanted to go on the most. He gets around them later and joins the people out killing the Death Eaters, but they still stopped him the first time. The third time could be more flat-out Neville vs Harry and you could tie into Neville's revelation about Harry being the Dark Lord from the prophecy - Neville defies Harry in something, realizes the path Harry is treading, and these events lead to Neville's realization of what the prophecy really means.
    Edit: Could Neville's "power he knows not" be more like... visions or flashes of the future or something? That's dumb and a power-up we didn't have in canon, but that could be how he discovers that Harry is the one who will turn into the Dark Lord he is prophesized to defeat. I just don't like the idea of giving Neville a power like that when it's not remotely in canon, but I like the idea of it. Could be more than a hindrance than a help even, just one that eventually leads him to that understanding?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. StrangeReport

StrangeReport Squib

Thank you for your reply. Actually, Harry would be well on the path to become a dark wizard, but maybe he would some stuff in secret. Since he and Neville grew up together, though, Harry would have some trust in him, and that's how Neville realizes how far he has already gone.

Somehow, though, this entire idea seems sillier today because of the wording of the prophecy. It would lead me to treat "Dark Lord" as something that exists outside of Voldemort's delusions of self-importance.

3. why?

why? Seventh Year

High Score:
    So, I've thought of a less ambitious idea.

What would have happened in the summer after fourth year, if the Department of Mysteries were unplottable, and not within the MoM?

It occured to me that I'd never seen the DoM be anywhere but there until I read Echoes in the Fog, where it's a huge, ominous building located where the old Minisry used to be.

It could be hidden by a fidelius, and not even be in the same dimension. Whatever the case, Voldemort would have to delay obtaining the prophecy, or maybe even forgo attempting to.

I'm not sure where I'd wanna take this, but if this is new info to Tom, would he then anounce his return earlier? Or still be wary of Harry being his undoing, and focus on the continent, and Durmstrang instead?

edit:

Or Dumbledore knows of such an artefact that could hide the prophecy and tells Harry to not go looking for it, like he did with the third floor in year one, lmao.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Occam says, if all ya want is an AU where Voldemort can't get the prophecy (easily), then there exists no Hall of Prophecies as they never are recorded.

Also, I'spose what you get is the old, old Post-GoF stories, where Trewlaney is in danger. Voldemort still wants to hear the prophecy, and that's the only other remotely possible source, even if she doesn't appear to remember.

5. wox2d

wox2d Fourth Year

What are some pitfalls I should look to avoid in writing a fic with a time jump. Is a time jump a bad idea in general?

Here's the basic napkin pitch of the story: Harry overpowers Wormtail at the graveyard and is able to destroy the baby Voldemort, so Voldemort is not resurrected. He returns to Hogwarts and has a debrief with Dumbledore, with Albus pretty much saying "Look, you've done great and bought us some time. But we both know he's coming back. I want you to complete your final two years of education here and then we're going to finish this together." At this point DD also tells Harry about the prophecy.

At this point I figure I want to work in a time jump, skipping fifth and sixth years and opening up the summer before seventh, on Harry's birthday, where Order members are going to move him out of Privet Drive. I think the divergence of having Voldemort again in shade/horcrux form instead of resurrected would make fifth and sixth years pretty boring--by Hogwarts terms--mostly focusing on Harry studying (I see no reason for Umbridge, for example, because Dumbledore has no reason to try and convince the Ministry Voldemort is back and get on Fudge's bad side). So I don't want to write two years of studying/boarding school slice of life.

Anyway, does this sort of time jump make sense? Would it be too jarring? How much or how little should I refer back to things that have happened the past two years?

I also want to work in some Albus mentoring Harry, but I wonder what's the best sort of balance between what he did in sixth year canon (which I think was not enough) and just having Albus make Harry way too OP by teaching him his special Belgian dueling stance or whatever.

Would it be in character for Albus to say something like "I will teach you, but you'll need to build the groundwork for it. I'll start teaching you after you've completed year seven. You'll need X, Y, and Z NEWTS." Obviously with proper Dumbledore dialog rather than my abridged version ;)

6. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting one.

If it were me, I'd start the story at the time-jump. As in, when the action really gets going. You'll need to weave in the canon-divergence, but again, if it were me, I'd start the story with Dumbledore teaching Harry post-Hogwarts.

The failed resurrection in the graveyard could be explained in a single line.

'We know he came close in that graveyard, Headmaster,' Harry said, scratching at his stubbly cheeks. 'I stopped him then, but we both know this doesn't end until one of us is in the ground, and stays there.'

A good piece of writing advice I was given was to start your story as close to the end as possible. Trust that your readers will pick up the divergence points and run with it. I wouldn't want to slog through two or three filler chapters getting people up to speed. That's sloppy.

7. wox2d

wox2d Fourth Year

That gives me an idea, actually, to start the story at the year end feast. Dumbledore announces his retirement, to the shock of all the students save for Harry, who of course knows that he and the Headmaster now have a job to do.

I don't really know why I was so wed to starting w/ the graveyard and then jumping to seventh year.

Well, I do, actually. It was because I've already written a chunk of the graveyard stuff and obviously since I had written it I felt it was important and could never, ever be scrapped.

But you're right. I should start where the story starts.

Joe
  8. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Those are the ones worth reading. :)

9. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter

If it was me I'd probably do the graveyard bit as a single prologue chapter then start the story later on.

But prologues usually aren't really needed, so I'm on board with skipping it. But personally? Yeah. One chapter prologue.

10. CareOtters

CareOtters Supreme Mugwump DLP Supporter

I can hardly be bothered to post my fic to FFnet, but I'm contemplating opening an account on AO3 or one of the other fanfic sites in an attempt to dredge up some of the attention which fuels my writing.

Is it worth posting on AO3, or is traffic there low? Is there anywhere I should be posting a HP fic? Should I be DLP exclusive and only allow my elite comrades here to read what I write?

Questions. Hmm.

11. Plotless

Plotless Professor

I personally do the majority of my fanfic reading on ao3 these days - the community is a lot more active and it's easy to find specific tropes. I do feel like people comment a bit less than on ffn though.

12. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Supreme Mugwump

Also, FFN spams ads on mobile, whereas AO3 runs on donations, so doesn't have those. Plus, the mobile site actually works really nicely, rather than being a steaming torrent of shit.

13. Agent Zero

Agent Zero Seventh Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh, I mainly use the FFNet app which isn't too bad.

14. wox2d

wox2d Fourth Year

One major thing the FFNet app has going for it (for me, anyway) is its Text to Speech functionality. With AO3 I have to download the fic and then open up the .epub in a different app. Not a huge bother, but a few extra steps that FFNet cuts out for me.

Of course, I don't imagine many people listen to fics so this is probably a very small issue.