1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Mother of Learning by nobody103 - T - Original Fantasy

Discussion in 'Original Fiction' started by Betosa, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Lich is centuries old. But I think like chrnno said Zach has only been in the loop for a handful of decades. Zorian has been in it what, just under a decade?

thattin - wouldn't be surprised. It incorporates the part I'd noticed and reminded me of something I'd forgotten he could do.

2. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Updated.

I'm not sure who Raynie's brother is, but the pace has definitely jumped. I'm assuming there will be one more chapter pre-invasion (or the invasion will begin next chapter), one more for the invasion proper, and one to wrap things up.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  3. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

Way back when Zorian was investigating his soul marker there was a not date with Raynie. Basically she was raised as the the heir to her tribe of wolf shifters her whole life until her brother was born and proved himself competent. She got sent off to Cyoria as a polite exile.

4. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Yeah I couldn't remember that either. I really aught to re-read this story.

5. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

Yup, pace has definitely gone up. Lots of jigsaws moving into place. The chapter name - Powderkeg is quite suggestive too! I think next chapter will end with the start of the invasion, or the breakdown of the truce.

6. Ched

Last few chapters I feel we've started having an issue with tell vs show.

Start of this one had some good 'show' but then scene after scene that felt heavy on 'tell.'

7. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

i think the issue here is that raynie's clan is a shifter clan. red robe must have caught wind of zorian's overwatch of cypria's shifter children population and has branched out to get his primordial essence needed for the ritual.

8. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Updated.

Author's speeding up quite a bit. Not sure what the hurry is :/

9. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

He’s only got one more time loop!

10. AmishGoat

AmishGoat Guest

So I feel like this was a decent chapter as it had more showing/less telling than it usually does (at least lately), but I can't help but agree with DvorakQ and think this is all happening too fast. I think there was something about the author wanting to finish at chapter 100, but that clearly isn't happening. Not sure why he doesn't do this final bit justice and really explore things one last time. Hopefully the climactic fight won't be rushed.

11. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I feel like I'm missing all the payoff of the whole story, I want more of Zorian adjusting to no longer living in a loop, the bit where he mused about his attitude to money for example.

12. Ched

Yeah - the ability to have more payoff existed as well, since there has been an element of hurry up and wait. Could have worked it in to a point at least. Though then the author would run the risk of dragging it out etc.

Good chapter. This even makes sense in terms of where their advantage came from. They didn't predict this with Raynie but they set the pieces that caused it in motion. [

Mostly I'm just glad we got back to showing instead of telling. Enjoyed this chapter more than most of the recent ones.

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Maybe things are a little rushed, but it works because the characters are in a rush themselves. Preferably there are few chapters after the final battle to explore a little of Zorian's life after the time loop and how his relationships changed.

14. OkraMaster

OkraMaster Second Year

I really liked Haslush and Rea's reactions to the ritual room set up. The vignette with Alanic and the wraith bombs also worked really well. However, the ending was just too rushed... Didn't have a scale of what was happening. I would have almost preferred even more of a cliffhanger, with Zorian giving the command to attack.

Also, what's with the iron beaks? I thought they were compromised and wouldn't work with the invaders anymore?

15. PoshMafia

PoshMafia First Year

Ending so bad. As soon as they left the time loop I had to drop it. Completely blew the potential it had. RIP

3/5 for me, Id rec to people but with the caveat of a shit ending.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  16. Imraefi

Imraefi Third Year

....it’s not over tho?

17. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

1) this is your only warning Spoiler anything related to the plot.
    2) your review is shit. I feel like you could expand a bit more on what you said. Take a look at other posts in this thread and see how they go into detail in determining their opinion and why they do and don't like something.

You're new so you wouldn't have learned this probably without someone telling you, but low effort posting is discouraged and will result in you not being able to participate in the forums if you continue this.

18. Ched

Yeah it's... Not over. Next update is scheduled for in three days unless he pushes it back again.

But... How do you read THAT FAR into it and THEN drop it?

I totally get dropping things. But you read like 650k+ and then decided to drop the last bit? Damn.

19. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

A new chapter is up here.
    I'm glad the battle isn't just going to be one chapter, but waiting for the rest is going to suck.

20. AmishGoat

AmishGoat Guest

Agreed, I was kinda worried it would be wrapped up in one chapter. I do think the battle is kinda summing things up here and there a bit too much, but the scale of the battle does lend itself to that more I guess. Zorian going full Zerg was a nice bonus, if predictable. Overall good chapter I think, and the wait will be far too long.