1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2019

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by ScottPress, Sep 29, 2018.

1. pbluekan

pbluekan Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Dat Cast
    Dat Director

Goddamn I can’t wait.

2. pbluekan

So the Lion King soundtrack is out on Spotify.

I’m not really impressed. The symphonic pieces by Zimmer are excellent as ever, but the vocal pieces are almost universally awful, especially when you compare them to the original. Half of that is that most of the cast can’t sing for shit.

Honestly only ‘Circle of Life’ and ‘Can You Feel the Love Tonight’ had the sort of character the original did, and even ‘Feel the Love Tonight’ is overdone by Beyoncé being Beyoncé.

For such a critical part of a fucking musical, you’d think they would work a little harder at getting it right.

3. Jarizok

Jarizok Auror DLP Supporter

Saw Toy Story 4 last week. It’s actually pretty hilarious. There hasn’t been much hype and my expectations weren’t that high (dunno why, I enjoyed the others), but I laughed out loud a bunch of times.

There may have also been some feels.

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

5. pbluekan

Well damn if Tom Hanks isn’t perfect for that role. That looks like a damn good movie to smile to.
    The dark crystal TV adaptation, on the other hand, is fucking unnecessary. Dark Crystal is a weird as shit cult classic that is best watched with a tab of acid. It does not need or deserve a fucking TV series.

Netflix is starting to grasp at straws because everyone is starting their own streaming services.

6. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Does it say something about me that I had no desire to see this movie or this trailer, but I instantly watched it once you mentioned Angelina Jolie in a revealing outfit?

7. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Finally the trailer for potentially the best film of this year. Or maybe just the most particular.

Jojo Rabbit.

8. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Mad respect for going there, loll

But Detective Pikachu already came out. Oscar has been decided.

9. Arthellion

High Score:

10. Juggalibrarian

Juggalibrarian First Year

I haven't seen the previous movie this director made (The Witch - 2015) which was his directorial debut, but this looks like a properly executed psychological horror movie. I've always found black and white really hammers that type of vibe in, so I'm excited to check this one out.

11. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Came here to post this ^ looks fantastic

12. Celestin

A new trailer for Terminator: Dark Fate.

I like the action, but with this director I would be surprised if it didn't deliver. Both the new terminator and the new protector appear to be much better than in the previous trailer.

Not sure if Arnold getting shorter screentime, if it's not just trailers suggesting this, will allow him to have a bigger impact when he is in or he will be missed in other parts of the film.

Not a big fan of switching the savior of the humanity. John Connor is JC of this franchise and it should remain that way in my opinion.

13. Arthellion

High Score:
    So Joker showed at Venice film festival and it's already generating buzz as oscar worthy. Some reviewers saying Phoenix matches or surpassess Ledger's take on the character.

Definitely excited for this one.

14. pbluekan

Trailer for those interested:

Goddamn, that looks good.

This is the kind of stuff DC should have leaned into with the DCU. Dark realism with supes just along for the sorry ride.

15. Celestin

Jojo Rabbit - Official Trailer.

This is how you make the best comedies. You start with a ridiculous concept and then use it to tell something that has actually a meaning and aims at your heart. The hard part is to keep it balanced. Taika has a good record and should manage it.

16. Celestin

Todd Phillips' Joker just won the Golden Lion.

Or to put it differently, the Golden Lion went to a film about a character from superhero comics made by the director of The Hangover Trilogy. It's not something that anyone would predict even six months ago.

17. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Truly the strangest timeline. Now we'll see if, after more than a decade, there emerges a new standard for the character that future Jokers will be compared to.

18. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Went to see IT part 2. Pretty good, but it felt more grotesque than genuinely scary for the most part, particularly by the end.

19. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Double post, but eh. I watched Ad Astra last night, which wasn't as good as I expected it to be; not bad at all, very well made and acted, but...well, I can't quite put my finger on it, really. Dry, certainly, light on both jokes and (for me) emotional engagement - which to be fair, is sort of the thematic arc of the film, but still. Worth a watch, but not a must see.

Much more entertaining, certainly, if perhaps not as sophisticated, was Ready or Not, which I saw tonight. I went in expecting schlocky nonsense, but what I got was a frequently laugh out loud hilarious film with a nice edge to it, built around some solid performances and a few twists that varied from good to dodgy. Not scary in the slightest, but definitely a lot of fun.

20. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

I do like the work that A24 has been doing. Robert Eggers first movie The Witch was impressive for being done on a 4 million dollar budget, and it also gives you a chance to hear what Early Modern English sounds like. I am looking forward to his up coming film hopefully i won't have to trudge my way to some out of the way art house cinema to see it. Here is the Second Trailer to The Lighthouse

Another one of up coming movies from A24 is called In Fabric, its very much in the vein of Dario Argento