1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

DLP Inquisitorial Squad

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Blorcyn, Sep 26, 2019.

1. 6foxtrot9

6foxtrot9 First Year

Spent about 10 minutes in the discord and I sleepwalked into this, signed.

6foxtrot9

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  2. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:

@6foxtrot9
    [​IMG]

3. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Like true TIS purebloods, I admire that we're standing to one side of the great hall staring at our unlikely partner across the floor. This is right and proper.

I'm thinking we'll look at voting a new fic in this weekend. So it'll close at midnight on Friday night; Pacific time (which is 8am Saturday GMT), so everyone has had their Friday evening to misuse.

Time to put up or shut up.

4. Story Content: Round 2
    Blorcyn

We have the weekend and the Monday to choose something new.

Remember, throw up any rec at all and thumbs from TIS are votes. If you don’t put your thumb up someone else’s post then your own rec counts as your vote, of course.

Was there anything confusing or unhelpful about the first attempt? Suggestions or criticisms?

Personally, as an attempt to try and take on a big story: to slowly read it and then attempt to write up something big didn’t work for me. I’m going to try and write up and post on whatever I’ve read of it that day for this next time.

5. Microwave

Microwave Professor

I think the fact that the story was so long discouraged a lot of people from actually reviewing, think it might be better to choose something shorter or break off the long ones into sections to go over one at a time.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

It was stated that the whole thing didn't need to be read. You could comment on the parts you did read.

What a waste of a 5000th post.

7. Blorcyn

Like a magpie in a jewellery shop, a wealth of options has proven paralysing. But, as a shorter fic than our last effort, and freshly updated, may I suggest:

Harry Potter and the Weapon of Truth
    By @Philo Vance
    Summary: 10-year old Harry Potter starts to learn all about the sport of fencing. Between every lunge and parry, he learns a lot about himself and about how to handle life's problems.​

I haven't read it before, but it seemed to get a lot of good feedback when it first arrived in 2016. Also, it's Harry and Fleur. Try not to blow your load all at once, perverts. Looking at you @Saez

8. Testamentary

Testamentary First Year

High Score:
    I think this is how this works:

Testamentary

9. Blorcyn

So today shall be the last day and we can offer stories to vote on up on your Thursday, which is tomorrow for me (and may well be your tomorrow, too) so that we might have something new to look at on Saturday.

I think this round was pretty productive, and I hope @Philo Vance found it useful and encouraging.

If you’ve got any last minute stuff to push out, get to it. If you’ve anything to feedback on the process share it out.

10. Blorcyn

So @Zombie in chat recommended that perhaps we look at:

Mos Maiorum
    By Soczab
    Summary: Assuming I can pull it off, you will like this story if you enjoy lots of politics and seeing how a flawed POV shades interpretations. I wanted to try and do something a little different (always a challenge in such a popular and well-travelled fandom).
    There's not a plot summary per se at the top, but it's about exploring politics and the Wizengamot, in a way that isn't typical of the fandom. Certainly, it's a big challenge but it would be interesting to see how well we all think they've pulled it off.

However, there was a 'no', too. So, as is his right as a scion of the Most Noble and Modern House of Flamingo we afford @Otters the right to trial by combat, if he wants to throw a different option into the mix.

11. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I finally finished the review for beyond the curtain, and only like half a month late!

images.jpg

Seriously though, are we doing the Mos Maiorum fic or nah. I need to get ahead of the pack on this one.

12. Zombie

Well your vote makes it two to one. So yes? @Blorcyn?

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wait, this isn't settled yet? I thought the decision was made.

14. Blorcyn

Mos Maiorum squad roll out!

15. 6foxtrot9

6foxtrot9 First Year

I am good with Mos.

16. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yes to Mos Maiorum.

And let's set a schedule with dates this time around.

17. Zombie

Moved thread to FF Discussion for further exposure. New posts here will actually show up in new posts link.

18. Story Content: Beta version live
    Blorcyn

Thank you Zombie for the forum switch. Now that the thread throws up in New Posts I'll state, to be clear, that we're still open for new members. We're not a closed club, although boy are we prestigious and exclusive. How does that work? On with the show.

In light of recent discussion, we have some new best practices for the Squad. However, the golden rule remains:
    Contribute anything as long as you contribute anything.

Also, anyone can recommend any story from any of the By Author forums. Thumbs from TIS members count, but not others.

For story reccs now, as well as a summary and title, please include:
    • The total chapter count
    • First post and most recent post date
    • An estimate how long you think it'd take for you to read and review it to whatever standard you employ.
    Here are some examples and offerings. Now we can't do all of them, so if there's one that takes your fancy than copy it and we'll thumb your post. Or, suggest one of your own.

------

Zenzao is the king of the 500 club. Over the years, he's written millions of words and some of the longer strings and plots that don't qualify for stories in their own right get put in here. For him as an author, I'm sure there'd be benefit in feedback on ideas, style and language. For the TIS squad this might prove liberating or vexing, so it's an interesting one to consider. No one story, but a number of different hooks, take as much as you want and review as much as you want. An all-you-can-eat self-serve buffet.
    Word count: 500 to 5000 per snippet, in general.
    Chapter count: N/A
    First post: March 2016
    Most recent post: November 2019
    Review window: Monday 18th

-------

The Adventure of the Velvet Room (Sherlock Holmes/Persona)
    By @BTT
    Summary: Thieves, murderers, and Moriarty---where Queen Victoria's finest have failed, Sherlock succeeds. But against a criminal that leaves no physical clues, Sherlock must delve deep into the psyche. Welcome, one and all, to the Velvet Room.
    From our very own BTT, a non-HP story very much worth considering. I've read the prologue and without more than a passing knowledge of the original gangster Sherlock knowledge and no familiarity at all with Persona, I was sucked in. I'm reading it anyway but, selfishly, if I can combine my TIS commitment with this then quid's in.

Chapter count: 20
    First post: August 2019
    Most recent post: October 2019
    Review window: December 9th (two weeks + suspension for Q4 story competition 1)

Eternity
    By @Riley
    Summary: So, after a re-read of Shezza's Denarian Trilogy, I was hit with a little inspiration. I wanted to see if I could manage the change whilst Harry was at Hogwarts. Suffice to say Denarians/Knights will be within, as will HP magic and plot. The Fallen is not any of the book ones or Meciel or any other Fallen named. I wanted to try and see if I could do this differently. I am also going to be blenging some of the real mythos of the Angels and whatnot for common history.[/COLOR]​

A recent revival of an older work, this is a Dresden Files HP cross. I haven't read it but I have read things by Riley before and enjoyed the, There's a decent amount there in multiple parts, enough of a story to sink your teeth into, while also being quite manageable if you want to read the whole piece before the competitions.

Chapter count: 5 chapters (though the most recent update is a new section for chapter 3)
    First post: March 2015
    Most recent post: October 2019
    Review window: Monday 18th

-------

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2019
  19. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I'll have to go with @BTT 's; partly because I want to watch him squirm, partly because despite my admiration for Zenzao I don't really feel like reviewing a non-story (it just limits what you can contribute on), and partly because I cannot see what the fuck that third option is. Seriously, what is that colour. Its like you don't even know that progress for progress' sake must be discouraged @Blorcyn.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  20. Blorcyn

What’s wrong with the colour it all looks black/normal text to me. Huh. Ahh, poot. I see it on the normal theme. I can’t edit it I’m afraid as this isn’t WbA. I’ll ask @Zombie if he would be so kind?

Light lord Potter you have caused me difficulties once more.

Edit: I’d also go with BTTs and wrap it around the competition.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019