1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Q4 (Part I) Story Competition!

Discussion in 'Q4 2019' started by Ched, Oct 10, 2019.

?

Prompt?! Keep in mind these stories are SHORTER than previous ones!

Poll closed Oct 14, 2019.
  1. Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)

35 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. Dark Lord Potter

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Time Travel (non-Harry POV)

9 vote(s)
    14.8%
  1. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Inspiration is fleeting. Persistence is not.

Age old advice for writers, but basically chugging away at it day by day bit by bit is what separates successful writers from people who say they want to write.

2. anonymouse the First

anonymouse the First First Year

Sorry. I get that point. But getting drunk in order to tackle the hardest story task I've ever taken on seems contradictory.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Well, yes but also no? You're aiming for tipsy / a good buzz that lowers inhibitions, but not a level where you can't function. Lowered inhibitions shut up that part of your brain that tells you X is no good and just let's you type away.

It will require refinement of course which is what editing is for, but for getting words on a page, is not the worst idea. (this is not an excuse or endorsement of substance abuse which many writers struggle with).

4. anonymouse the First

anonymouse the First First Year

Well, any booze-related advice is a moot point. Thanks for the advice anyways, I'll be using it in roughly 8-10 years.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

So, here's a question. We have a varied assortment of nationalities on DLP. Many of us only know so much about other countries unless we've spent a lot of time in them.

In our efforts to create a setting outside of Britain how likely are we to run afoul of ... not stereotypes, but of over-generalization? Or with not going far enough? Or just in general how are you all approaching this? And I understand that 'outside of Britain' doesn't have to mean another big city/town and could simply be a forest, but I keep gravitating towards nations.

Example:

I've been to Italy. In total I've spent about a week of my life there. If I was going to do a Foreign Magical Setting there I'd probably pick Venice and have a "hidden" area of connected islands for the Wizards. They'd still just have canals, and not roads, and there would be magical transportation and 'standard' spells that all adults knew to navigate that. They'd eat a lot of pasta and pizza and other foods people associate with Italy.

That part is easy enough for me to come up with. But all of Italy is not Venice and every meal in Italy is not pasta. It feels like I'm picking a recognizable area and a stereotype to build my story off of and that bugs me.

At the same time I'm not differentiating enough because I'm basically taking Wizarding Britain, adding water, subtracting roads, and having them eat pasta and gelato instead of roast and treacle tart. It feels insulting somehow I can't define?

I had not actually planned on using Italy and picked it on a whim for my example but damn if I haven't almost made myself want to try it now.

Anyway - what processes for coming up with your "Foreign Region" are you all using, and are you worried about over-generalizing or stereotyping the 'real' nation you are building a wizarding area into?

6. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Honestly, I don't think it's something to worry about overmuch, because the setting and culture are both going to be fundamentally alien to anything IRL anyway. It's a hidden society cut off almost entirely from the muggle side. The magical side will be its own thing, as distinct as you care to make it, and all you'd see of the muggle side from there is the stereotypes anyway. It doesn't strike me as a real problem to present it that way.

That said, I've found history and anthropology are the best ways to do foreign cultures and societies justice. You don't need to get super detailed or anything, but a decent-ish understanding of the major events of the last century or so, and, most importantly, how they as a society reacted to them, will let you get a decent understanding of what the Wizarding version of that place would be.

For example, I would imagine Wizarding Russia would be hidden primarily in St Petersburg, and would be like a glimpse back into the time of the Tsars. Pureblood nobility hobnobbing all day, while the muggleborn proletariat toil away, largely pointlessly, as punishment for trying to rise up during Lenin's revolution. I picture lavish feasts of traditional Russian cuisine, and a major cultural appreciation/fetish for Catherine the Great, as a symbol of the 'good old days' if nothing else.

And at the same time, there'd be a sense of subtle desperation underlying it all, as everyone feels but refuses to acknowledge the slow downward spiral they've been on all their lives. The food a little worse, the buildings deteriorating, etc, but they ignore it with proper Russian stoicism, sure that they can tough it out until things start looking up again.

7. Ched

Yeah - the setting I’m actually thinking of had a historical event around 800 AD (?) that I want to use as the beginning of the break between the muggle and wizarding worlds for that region.

Since it happened so far prior to the canonical international statute of secrecy it could really let me delve into an alternate history feel.

Ughh I need to write more!

8. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

This website has always been a great resource to help me learn about lesser-known, weird/whimsical places and things in areas I'm unfamiliar with (or familiar with, for that matter): https://www.atlasobscura.com/

Some of the recommendations are obvious and touristy, but there are often real gems in there too. It's a great resource when you're looking for fantasy inspiration within real life. It's also great for IRL travel.

9. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

I think CE is the new hip way of saying it. What historical event is it, if you don't mind me asking. Is it Charlie's coronation?

10. Ched

I do mind because the competition is anonymous and if I told you it would probably give my story away!

In the highly likely event I don’t finish I’ll post and let you know though, heh.

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

CE is just AD with copious amounts of hipster energy. It's pretending that a calendar based around Jesus' birth is not religious in any way.

Looking forward to it either way. I'm intrigued now.

12. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Put it this way, I spent about ninety percent of the time on wikipedia and like eight other websites. The region I picked is actually something I've already touched on in a story, though I doubt anyone on here has read it. For the record, I like to imagine that the 'muggle history' is at least the tiniest bit related to the wizarding history.

13. Ched

It's really not that interesting. Just an idea I got by picking a place outside of Europe, figuring out sort of what I wanted in terms of story, and then trawling wikipedia until I found a why that would give me a setting that would work with it.

14. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've got a decent start, and plans for the middle and end-game. Bridging it all together is the problem. We may or may not see a submission in time! Exciting!

15. FitzDizzyspells

FitzDizzyspells Seventh Year DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I was so proud of myself for having this written and beta'd a week before the deadline. Then, for fun, I wrote myself a scathing review that I could post for myself once the submissions went live.

Then I realized I... made some good points. So now I've decided to completely change my entire ending, which is going to take a ton of work that I will somehow have to fit into my busy week.

You know, like a crazy person.

16. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Scathing self-reviews are great fun. Glad to hear you’re enjoying yourself.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

3 entries so far, 14 hours to go!

18. Lindsey

Lindsey Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

My entry is about 80% done but I just couldn't get the final pieces together in time without it looking rough as fuck.

I'd rather post this oneshot at a later time and have it be polished, then a rushed and only an okay piece now.

Still sucks as this was the one competition I really wanted to enter.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Entries are up :)

20. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score: