1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Make Your Dream Video Game

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Arthellion, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What is the perfect game for you? Genre? Art Style? Music?

Etc.

2. Paradise

Paradise Paraplegic Dice DLP Supporter

An open world star wars RPG is all I need. Less Souls-like and more Morrowind. You are a stranger in a new land, given a fresh opportunity to reinvent yourself, with no backstory or past.

Be a merchant, discover force powers, loot the derelict ruins of thousands of races. It would be litty titty.

And behind it all, the Empire expands ever outward, you can battle to stop them, join them, or ignore them. The choice is yours.

Scavenge old battlefields, discover uncharted worlds, wake up under a new sky every morning, fight a thousand enemies from a thousand races.

It would be amazing, p sure if it ever got made I'd play till I dropped tho

3. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Cooperative multiplayer where teams of 4 or 5 have to control a gundam or something by manipulating the limbs in which their characters are located; the controls are precise enough that it actually takes a whole controller to control a limb or two(legs should probably be one player). The arms could either be hands, guns, swords; items you find allow the team to adapt the gundam to the circumstances. It would be a bit like QWOP when you first started, but the controls would be forgiving and you would have to pass a training mode before being able to play competitive multiplayer. It's meant to get around the fps playstyle of 'ignore objectives and team goals, just play for kills'. I can't tell you how well it would do on the market, but I would enjoy playing it and there's a good chance it would find its niche.

4. Selethe

Selethe normalphobe

Harry Potter mmorpg

- Set right after the Statute of Secrecy is implemented. This keeps the game’s lore from interfering with canon.

- You have to learn your spells. Knowing some types of magic precludes you from being able to cast other types (if you know a certain amount of dark magic, you aren’t able to cast the Patronus). Things like wand type, the subjects you choose at school, extracurriculars, all effect what spells you’re good at. With a lot of work (questing) you can be exceptional at certain spells.

- Professions like Potion-making are not only useful and worthwhile, but they’re incredibly difficult to become a master at. Being able to craft a Wolfsbane potion is something only a few can do, even in-game.

- world pvp. You can hunt the wizards who choose to use a large amount of dark magic, and kill them for a bounty. Conversely, dark wizards can hunt others for body parts for their evil potions or something. (Yes there are a lot of issues with how this particular system works, but in general, I want wpvp).

- No mana. Probably just that spells have a cool down, and the better you become at the spell, the shorter the cool down.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    RPG.

World/exploration mechanics of Gothic 1&2.

Quest abundance and party mechanics from Dragon Age.

6. Arthellion

High Score:

I'm going to agree with this. I would change one thing though. Give it the character depth/npcs of Old School Bioware.

7. ScottPress

High Score:
    Honestly, I'd rather have a more limited world with smartly defined borders that make sense and have the map packed with details than a huge, mostly empty wasteland populated with randomly spawning enemies and big stretches of nothing.

8. Arthellion

High Score:
    It's your dream game. Make it both packed with details and be huge and make sense.

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    Thing is, I don't find fuckhuge maps to necessarily be a plus. If the world is so big that not using fast travel is tedious, then what's the point of creating this beautiful world map?

10. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

My dream game is actually pretty easy to describe. Jedi: Fallen Order, with the combat from Sekiro and written by the guy who did the Stanley Parable.

That's... really about it. I don't want open world bullshit, I don't want vast sprawling systems, and I don't even want branching narratives, really. I want a well-told and paced story delivered through engaging gameplay, with maybe some light secrets to reward exploration and backtracking.

11. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A high fantasy, medieval single player rpg.

Open world a mix of Elder Scrolls and Witcher 3. But fill it with content.

A very long, strong and interesting story, with great side quests, like Witcher 3. Very much a mature story.

Multiple ways to complete every quest, like Arcanum. Fully voiced, but you'd get a full page of responses, like old crps, none of this modern conversation wheel garbage.

Combat like Dark Souls. Magic visuals and scale from Dragon's Dogma. When I cast a high-tier spell, I expect it to be visually stunning, not some sad, little beam ejaculation.

100 hours of story content, 200 hours to 100%.

Basically the world, story, music and overall theme from Witcher, combat like Souls, narrative choices and quest solving like old crpgs, and visually stunning magic. Also something a little whimsical about exploration, like Breath of the Wild has.

12. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Open world multiplayer Pokemon with high graphics. Also, it'd be VR.

13. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Seventh Year

Pokemon Go VR without the micro transactions, with an actual storyline, more complex battle mechanics and the insane player count and passion when it launched. I swear the world felt like a better place for like a month when it released.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Bastion, basically - but 10x the length with 5x the story and choices on how things proceed.

I.e. Gameplay in this damn thing was near perfect. I loved the voice-over instead of reading, since it meant I didnt' have to choose between 'reading slowly for story' and 'playing' - you got to keep playing while getting story.

It was just short (both length and story) and I'd have liked more choices in how to drive the story.

15. Cjonbloodletter

Cjonbloodletter Professor

A big Pokemon game played with a mixture of Breath of the Wild and Monster Hunter open world set before the league system was out into place. I want to feel like actually going into the talk grass on my own is way to dangerous. It would be cool if being a Pokemon Trainer was an honorable profession out in place to help protect what little civilization is able to survive amongst monsters. I feel like this game would be hard to make with out going gripderp though.

I'd like to mix a little of Pokemon Conquest in there too, have it so certain characters/ play styles can only make certain kinds of Pokemon as strong as they can possibly be. It would help explain why the gym system came into place, because some people just had a better affinity for certain types.

Just think it would be neat.

Another perfect game is a Persona game where I can decide my own bedtime instead of bowing to the whims of an annoying cat.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

There's several of those.

First off: Dragon's Dogma without the cut content and Gran Soren actually feeling like a city would be pretty much a dream come true.

Next up is single player action RPG set in the Warcraft universe. Something similar to Dragon Age Origins, in the sense that every class and race would be a different origin/starting point, but ultimately the destination would be the same for all involved, it's just the stories that needed to be told and shown would differ in major ways.

A human death knight would not get the same treatment as a human paladin, for example. NPCs wouldn't just cheerfully greet a death knight and welcome them into their town or home. Being a warlock would not mean you could practice fel magic in broad daylight without repercussions. A night elf druid switching forms amid crowds would garner attention. And so on. But it's a dream game, because Blizzard will only ever let go of WoW once everyone abandons it and that doesn't seem likely.

Then a Star Wars RPG, which I already described (in a similar thread to this one) here.

And finally, a new Dark Sun RPG, preferably set in the days of 2e lore - minus Pentad shit, I want the Dragon of Ur Draxa still kicking around. Dark Sun is something I've heard some folks speak of as Mad Max, but set in a fantasy. It's sort of right, in the sense that the world is not a pleasant place to live, the only civilizations present on the world of Athas tend to be city-states ruled by tyrannical sorcerer-kings.

And before you think of them being possibly toppled by fellow sorcerers, let me just make it clear that there are no conduits to the plane of magic here, the world's cut off from normal magic and from any form of deities. If you want to use magic, you have two choices: drain the lifeforce from what little greenery there remains heedless of how much you take for your own personal gain, thus damning the world even further or take only what you need and very sparingly at that, trying to preserve and maybe restore the Green Age of plenty that Athas once knew.

Don't count much on weapons or heavy armor either, iron and steel are rare and expensive as hell. Weapons are made from bone, ceramic, stone or obsidian. Armor is mostly leather.

The world is not a nice place. Elves here are nomads, always on the move in the deserts of Athas. They're swindlers and thieves. They also absolutely hate half-elves. But don't worry, there's always thri-kreen, a psionically gifted insect race who enjoy feasting on the flesh of elves. There's half-giants, who exist only through magical experimentation, and muls, sterile offspring of dwarves and humans, renowned for their endurance and fighting skills in general, bred solely for the purpose of gladiator combat in the deadly arenas of sorcerer kings and the cities they rule. Halflings are cannibals living in isolated communities, preying on anyone who comes near. You get the point.

But what's best of all about Athas, the one thing that always drew me to it was the sense of mystery it offered. There were many secrets lost beneath the sands, so much knowledge forgotten or deliberately wiped clean from the pages of history. There's this one quote, from one of the RPG books, that always hits the spot.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A fully immersive VRMMORPG.

Basically, the tech isn't there to create my dream game yet.

This is also why I'm addicted to LitRPGs.

18. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Something like a cross between Fantasy Open World RPG and Grand Theft Auto.

You start as a bottom-tier peasant in a Fantasy World with dragons, magic, fairies, etc.

Your dream is to be at the top. A Powerful Mage, an Elite Knight? Or maybe an influential crime lord? Your destiny is in your hands.

You throw away your farming equipment and begin your adventure.