1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Longsword

Longsword Banned

Nazism was more than "imperialism". Neither was Hitler a conservative, fascism demanded that the old order be burnt down.
    You would have to keep France strong and Germany weak. That world would be completely different.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A not-so-recent trend in the youtube gaming community is to do Let's Plays of various games, but with a twist like changing the rules or core aspect of the game itself. Like "Minecraft but every crafting recipe is random"

I wondered how this could apply in a world-changing sense to the Potterverse.

The rule is that you need to change ONE thing. It happens suddenly without the people in-universe being warned.

Harry Potter, but...

...every spell is random.
    Wingardium Leviosa can suddenly be the Killing Curse.

...every potion is random. The recipe for the Pepperup Potion can suddenly produce Felix Felicis.

...every Sorting is random. Draco Malfoy in Hufflepuff, Hermione Granger in Slytherin, etc.

You get the idea :p

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Every spell being completely random would lead to the complete destruction of wizarding society. They wouldn't be able to maintain a masquerade, they wouldn't be able to have schools, and they would effectively be muggles who explode at random.

On the other hand, having each spell cast be a random one that the caster has learned? That could work.

You have to memorise the incant, the wand motion, and potentially have the right mindset for the outcome... And you cast it perfectly.

From now on, that spell is in your deck, and you might never cast it again.

The first thought is you would have a stratified society, with people learning a series of spells from one list to allow them to fit into one role without too much destruction.

Spells would probably be designed to be more generic, even if they would be less useful. Someone who only knows the spell 'stop-bleeding-and-speed-healing'iosa would be much more useful than a well rounded mediwizard who might repeatedly cast 'artery unfuzzing' charms whilst you're having a heart attack.

4. Andrela

@Thaumologist

What I meant is that every Wingardium Leviosa is now Avada Kedavra. Every Avada Kedavra is now Scourgify, etc.

I guess you could have a different spell each time you use a single incantation but that would be too chaotic.

5. Hansar

Hansar Second Year

In that case every spell would just have a different incantation and wand movements. After a few days of chaos and horrible accidents, people would realise what was going on and start cataloguing what every spell had been changed to. Things would probably go back to normal fairly soon.

However, if the only thing that changed about casting a particular spell is its outcome then that could be very interesting. To use your examples, pretty much any first year has the skill and power to cast a killing curse and you can only clean things if you want to murder them.

Other examples could be a patronus being as easy to cast as lumos and not requiring any happy memories so dementors would pretty much stop being a threat to wizards. Or the fidelius could become stupefy and a secret keeper would be needed to stun someone, so nobody would ever bother using it.

6. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I prefer random loot drops. I'm only on my third try on hardcore mode.

7. Andrela

You can do both. Now that's madness.

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As was being discussed in Discord yesterday:

We see a lot of fics set in an AU where the Muggle world is the same but some divergent event happened in wizarding history to produce a different magical society.

I don't think I've ever seen the opposite, though: a world in which the wizarding world is the same as canon, but the Muggle world is substantially AU.

This musing led to an idea: a world in which Operation Sea Lion took place successfully and the Nazis invaded Britain. But on the wizarding side, the wizards stayed out of it, forbidden from interfering by the Statute of Secrecy.

This could be a great opportunity to explore what happens to wizarding societies when Muggle borders change, addressing the conundrum of how it is that wizarding and Muggle borders are so aligned in spite of their societies diverging hundreds of years ago.

Picture the situation: Muggle Britain is ruled via a puppet government with German masters, and British Muggle society is being steadily Germanised. British wizards remain independent, unable to come to the aid of their countrymen due to the Statute of Secrecy, chafing at the indignity of having to conduct their lives surrounded by an increasingly German-dominated Britain, but over time becoming resigned to it. As the decades pass, wizarding society begins to adapt - German is part of the Hogwarts curriculum now, because it's no longer possible to navigate the Muggle world without it, and Muggleborns arrive at Hogwarts thoroughly indoctrinated into Nazi ideology.

There's a couple of interesting ideas that can play out here.

1. The conflict between the purity ideologies of the Muggleborn Nazis and the British Pure-bloods.

2. Voldemort leading the anti-Nazi resistance, with Dumbledore acting as a reluctant status quo-preserving, Statute of Secrecy-observing collaborator.

9. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Muggle-hating Nazis vs. Jewish-hating Nazis? It's like a story about that one friend who always picks the same character as you do on fighting games :D

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I was thinking about this yesterday, but historically speaking shouldn't roughly that scenario have happened at the time of the Norman Conquest of England? Hogwarts was founded circa the 9th century or so IIRC, while the Normans invaded in the 11th.

11. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

That was pre-separation though. Their history then is our history then (regardless of whether they edited our record of history after the statute). If I’m understanding you.

12. Silirt

Since the wizarding world is the same, I assume Grindelwald still lost the duel and went to prison? Were his followers somehow responsible for the success of Operation Sea Lion in gross neglect for Secrecy?
    Secondly, why, in this alternate universe, does Voldemort want to get rid of the Nazis? He isn't British, and his followers never particularly cared about what happened to muggles or in the muggle world. Wouldn't they still be getting along with German wizards if everything in the magical world is the same as canon?

13. Blorcyn

Blorcyn Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Silver Supporter

Ey?

14. Silirt

My bad, I thought he was born in Albania and taken to Britain as a small child.

15. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eastern European Terrorist Voldemort. Lol.

16. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Vaguely thought of a Harry/Fleur where Harry died after the events of GoF and we follow down 5-6 years where Voldemort has conquered England and an older AU Harry drops in as Voldemort/England have turned their sights on France. Just seems needlessly convoluted but it is a plot bunny so I'll toss it in.

17. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not sure if this has been done already, but what if something about the killing curse bouncing off his forehead gives Harry a form of eidetic memory, where he can never forget anything up to the night Voldemort killed his parents, but his memory functions more-or-less normally from then on. So growing up, he knows at least a little about magic and that the the Wizarding World is definitely a thing. Maybe this would make him more serious and withdrawn, but personally, after being on a bit of an Avatar: the Last Airbender kick for the past couple of weeks (re-watching the show, perusing the fanfics, etc...) I prefer this option:

Knowing all his life that magic is real and that he is a wizard (and that there are some evil mofos out there who need killin'), Harry spends a good chunk of his childhood developing his understanding and control of his instinctual/accidental magic (similar to Riddle's childhood, but less depression and sadism, and more semi-good natured tormenting of the Dursleys). By the time he gets to Hogwarts, in terms of power, talent, and especially personality, Harry basically is Toph Beifong. For those sad souls who don't know the awesomeness that is Toph, she's a little blind girl with earth-based elemental superpowers that are pretty extreme, even by the standards of a world where elemental superpowers are fairly common, and an attitude that can be best summed up as "Fuck you, I'm awesome!"

Essentially this idea is "what if Harry took James and Sirius' cocky, showboating arrogance, and turned it up to eleven, but it was totally justified by his power/talent?" Heh, and you thought Snape hated canon Harry...

Just picture the graveyard scene from GoF:

"I am..." Harry grunts, straining against the ropes binding him to the statue.
    "The greatest..." With a burst of magical force the ropes snap, dropping Harry to the ground. Wormtail backpedals, horrified.
    "Wizard..." With a twitch of his hand and will, Harry rips his wand from Wormtail's fear-slackened grasp.
    "IN THE WORLD!" Harry crows, showing Wormtail how a real blasting curse is cast. This time, there would be no finger for the Aurors to recover from the scene. No pieces that large would survive intact. Cackling maniacally, Harry wheels around to face Voldemort's grotesque homunculus.
    "Well hello there," Harry says with a cocky grin. "Now just what shall I do with you?" Impossibly, the half-resurrected Dark Lord grew even paler...

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  18. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Played straight as 'Harry Potter, Magnificent Bastard' I could dig it.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

BREAKING ADDITION: DAILY PROPHET
    30 JULY 1991
    ALBUS DUMBLEDORE DEAD OF DRAGON POX

MCGONAGALL ACTING-HEADMISTRESS
    WORLD MOURNS
    It certainly changes how Harry's school life goes. Does Nicholas Flamel let his stone stay at Hogwarts without Dumbledore? Does Arthur Weasley's Muggle Protection Act fail thus avoiding Tom Riddle's diary being planted on Ginny? Does Hermione get a time turner without Dumbledore's influence at the ministry? Triwizard Tournament happens at another school or not at all?

All in all I think Harry would have a much more normal boarding school experience and could make for an interesting slice of life story. Who would you guys choose to replace McGonagall as transfiguration professor? Also, another thing to consider, with Dumbledore dead would Snape stick around or would he leave?

If you don't like slice of life what kind of action/conflict would you bring into each school year?

20. Silirt

Didn't Dumbeldore ask Hagrid to move the Stone to Hogwarts from the vault? Then Voldemort broke into the vault the next day? I'm pretty sure Voldemort would have the Stone.