1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(d/t) V

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

Nazism was more than "imperialism". Neither was Hitler a conservative, fascism demanded that the old order be burnt down.
    You would have to keep France strong and Germany weak. That world would be completely different.

2. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A not-so-recent trend in the youtube gaming community is to do Let's Plays of various games, but with a twist like changing the rules or core aspect of the game itself. Like "Minecraft but every crafting recipe is random"

I wondered how this could apply in a world-changing sense to the Potterverse.

The rule is that you need to change ONE thing. It happens suddenly without the people in-universe being warned.

Harry Potter, but...

...every spell is random.
    Wingardium Leviosa can suddenly be the Killing Curse.

...every potion is random. The recipe for the Pepperup Potion can suddenly produce Felix Felicis.

...every Sorting is random. Draco Malfoy in Hufflepuff, Hermione Granger in Slytherin, etc.

You get the idea :p

3. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Supreme Mugwump

Every spell being completely random would lead to the complete destruction of wizarding society. They wouldn't be able to maintain a masquerade, they wouldn't be able to have schools, and they would effectively be muggles who explode at random.

On the other hand, having each spell cast be a random one that the caster has learned? That could work.

You have to memorise the incant, the wand motion, and potentially have the right mindset for the outcome... And you cast it perfectly.

From now on, that spell is in your deck, and you might never cast it again.

The first thought is you would have a stratified society, with people learning a series of spells from one list to allow them to fit into one role without too much destruction.

Spells would probably be designed to be more generic, even if they would be less useful. Someone who only knows the spell 'stop-bleeding-and-speed-healing'iosa would be much more useful than a well rounded mediwizard who might repeatedly cast 'artery unfuzzing' charms whilst you're having a heart attack.

4. Andrela

@Thaumologist

What I meant is that every Wingardium Leviosa is now Avada Kedavra. Every Avada Kedavra is now Scourgify, etc.

I guess you could have a different spell each time you use a single incantation but that would be too chaotic.

5. Hansar

Hansar Squib

In that case every spell would just have a different incantation and wand movements. After a few days of chaos and horrible accidents, people would realise what was going on and start cataloguing what every spell had been changed to. Things would probably go back to normal fairly soon.

However, if the only thing that changed about casting a particular spell is its outcome then that could be very interesting. To use your examples, pretty much any first year has the skill and power to cast a killing curse and you can only clean things if you want to murder them.

Other examples could be a patronus being as easy to cast as lumos and not requiring any happy memories so dementors would pretty much stop being a threat to wizards. Or the fidelius could become stupefy and a secret keeper would be needed to stun someone, so nobody would ever bother using it.

6. Silirt

Silirt Order Member DLP Supporter

I prefer random loot drops. I'm only on my third try on hardcore mode.

7. Andrela

You can do both. Now that's madness.