1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Proof for the existence of other educational facilities in Britain, aside from Hogwarts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drachna, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Drachna

Drachna Professor

High Score:
    I have always been interested in the idea of apprenticeships or third level universities existing in the Harry Potter universe, after secondary school. While some examples of specialized training, such as Auror training, have been mentioned in the past, there was no definitive example of a college or university.

I believe that I have found one. On page 36, of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, there is a footnote, that references the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts (W.A.D.A), and a Herbology Professor who left Hogwarts to teach there.

I'm not sure if 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' are considered canon, but as Hermione inherits a copy in DH, I would imagine that this has at least some weight behind it.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting. Though I can't help but wonder what a Herbology expert is going to be teaching at a drama school.

3. sonder

sonder Professor

There’s a lowbrow joke about art kids that I could make (was an art kid), but probably because they needed pigments and the like for performances. I find that grinding pigments and inks is more of a craft kind of thing than a chemistry kind of thing these days so instinct says the herbology professor might help there. I have no doubt there are dyers that use magic and plants to make fabric costumes.

There might be an entirely different understanding of dramatic arts in the wizarding world though.

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    While it's possible that Professor Viridian was a foreign professor, or a Hogwarts professor of the past, he could also be a professor at another institution of some flavor within Britain.

5. Solpagae

Solpagae First Year

High Score:
    HBP Ch. 25

It always seemed unlikely to me that this would be continental (or international for that matter). Best proof I've got anyhow.
    edit- Haven't given any thought to post-Hogwarts or N.E.W.T alternatives though.

6. Thalassius

Thalassius Muggle

I am not 100% sure, but I think it was because he used to be the Theatre Club professor at Hogwarts. Kind of how Flitwick is the choir director. And he left because of a play that went wrong? And the club was closed. Though I like the idea of his Herbology title being useful for other art related stuff.

On the thread in general, I do believe there must be some kind of Apprenticeship Programme at the very least for careers like Potions (Severus is called a Master, same with Slughorn), Transfiguration (Minerva and Albus), etc.

7. Mordecai

High Score:
    Whilst you could take the use of Potions Master that way, and it can lend to a nice old fashioned magical world, I'm fairly sure the use of Master is a reference to old British schools where teachers were called Masters - Latin Master, Mathematics Master etc.

8. Thalassius

Thalassius Muggle

I didn't know that! That's quite interesting to know, thank you. I want to expand my idea a little. Minerva says at some point that she studied under Albus, and the way she put it I don't think she was talking about Hogwarts' years. Though, you may be right because Severus holds the Master title and he started teaching at 21, the earliest. Doesnt give him much time to study if he was an active DE at 18.

9. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Insert my usual recommendation to read Enid Blyton, say, the Five Find-Outers (in the original, obv) -- the depth of early 20th century British society knowledge you get from children's books is quite astonishing. Playing tricks on the form master is a staple.

10. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I got some good memories of those books. Learnt a lot from them too.

11. Mordecai

High Score:
    Just to clarify firstly, I have no objection to master/apprentice being used as part of a fic. I think it can lead to some fantastic plot lines and world building. However, purely in the context of what canon says I'd tend towards the idea that McGonagall had Dumbledore as her teacher at Hogwarts and thats what she meant. And if she did study under him further, it would have been in an informal sort of way. Perhaps him bringing her up to snuff to ensure she is able to succeed him as the Transfiguration Professor.

Indeed, to quote from what was Pottermore (what are we calling that these days? WizardingWorld.Com seems...clunky):

From that I'd take that she got some additional tutoring from Dumbledore whilst she was still at Hogwarts, but thats very much in keeping with old fashioned British boarding schools. A student who displayed exceptional talent in a subject was pushed in it and given substantial extra attention by that subjects Master.

She only worked at the Ministry for a couple of years before returning to teach at Hogwarts, so much like your point about Snape not having time for further study, neither did she.