1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain) Length: 2.5 - 5k
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

Proof for the existence of other educational facilities in Britain, aside from Hogwarts.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Drachna, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Drachna

Drachna Second Year

High Score:
    I have always been interested in the idea of apprenticeships or third level universities existing in the Harry Potter universe, after secondary school. While some examples of specialized training, such as Auror training, have been mentioned in the past, there was no definitive example of a college or university.

I believe that I have found one. On page 36, of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, there is a footnote, that references the Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts (W.A.D.A), and a Herbology Professor who left Hogwarts to teach there.

I'm not sure if 'The Tales of Beedle the Bard' are considered canon, but as Hermione inherits a copy in DH, I would imagine that this has at least some weight behind it.

2. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting. Though I can't help but wonder what a Herbology expert is going to be teaching at a drama school.

3. sonder

sonder Seventh Year

There’s a lowbrow joke about art kids that I could make (was an art kid), but probably because they needed pigments and the like for performances. I find that grinding pigments and inks is more of a craft kind of thing than a chemistry kind of thing these days so instinct says the herbology professor might help there. I have no doubt there are dyers that use magic and plants to make fabric costumes.

There might be an entirely different understanding of dramatic arts in the wizarding world though.

4. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

While it's possible that Professor Viridian was a foreign professor, or a Hogwarts professor of the past, he could also be a professor at another institution of some flavor within Britain.

5. Solpagae

Solpagae First Year

High Score:
    HBP Ch. 25

It always seemed unlikely to me that this would be continental (or international for that matter). Best proof I've got anyhow.
    edit- Haven't given any thought to post-Hogwarts or N.E.W.T alternatives though.