1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Did I Miss?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Othalan, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

So here's the deal: I just got back to the world after spending just shy of seven years as a guest at one of America's many oh-so-lovely correctional institutions. That means, among other things, that I have a seven year backlog of fanfics I haven't gotten a chance to read. Now I could slog through years of old threads to pick out the gems, but I'm inherently lazy.

So instead, I'm going to ask you fine folks for your recommendations. What were the best fanfics you guys have seen since 2013? Any genre welcome. I'm interested in Harry Potter, The Dresden Files, Codex Alera, Warhammer 40k, Game of Thrones and pretty much any sci-fi, but at this point, I'll take just about anything. Odds are, if DLP liked it, I will too.

2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I guess you probably don't want any Azkaban fics?

Seriously though, welcome back.

3. Othalan

Seriously, anything will do if it's well written. Also, thanks. It's good to be back.

4. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Well, I'll start by reccing my stuff, which is a fic about the game Fable that expands on the world, and a Harry Potter/Mass Effect crossover that follows Old Man Potter the day the Reapers invade.

@Halt, @Otters, and @Paladin all have good ASoIaF fics that are various flavours of crossover. Zero Requiem, Salt Breaker, and Deep Wells, Deep Deeds. I won't tell you about the details of the crossovers, because frankly the writing is good enough to not need the draw.

@Lamora didn't finish his Game of Champions, but he did write more and is now posting a run down on how the fic would have continued.

@Striker (Menace) wrote a few good Naruto fics only to blue ball everyone, on a few wildly different premises.

@Eilyfe also did some impressive Naruto fic with a focus on Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke starting as young genin.

@Todeswind has been plugging away at a great Dresden Files/Stargate cross (that has spread out over like five different threads with different focuses), with great world building and living, breathing characters.

@Inert is still working on his two great Naruto AU fics that look at alternate paths for Naruto.

@Newcomb wrote a fantastic HP AU fic that took us down a path less traveled with great story telling to boot that really captured the HP feel. What You Leave Behind. Of course, he also walked out on it like he was going for cigarettes, so there's that.

There are dozens of fics that you need to read that I haven't listed here, purely because as soon as you asked they all fled my mind. The above fics are a mix of current and old. They are all DLP local too, so you've got the other sites to look through for more. Worm as a fandom is still plugging along if you ever read that. Some big quests have come and gone, although they're mostly on SpaceBattles and Sufficient Velocity (SV being a splinter faction of SB after a schism).

Ultimately, you're going to have to dig through the Review and Library threads on your own, but in the mean time, you're sure to get a ton of fic to read through before that becomes necessary.

5. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, what'd you do?

6. Othalan

Got into a drunk fight at a house party. Turns out if you smack a guy with a beer bottle it counts as 2nd Degree Assault in some parts.

Also, thanks a ton to TheWiseTomato. Those should keep me busy for a while.

7. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I'll drop by with some Mass Effect fics

Interstitium by Assaultsloth
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5753454/1/Interstitium

A very good re-telling of Mass Effect 2 written to expand the moments between the mission. One of the finest pieces of fanfiction of all time in any fandom.

Of Sheep and Battle Chicken by LogicalPremise
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8019901/1/Of-Sheep-and-Battle-Chicken

A grimdark retelling of the story with some of the finest world building in the history of fanfiction. If you like the story, there's a million plus words of story ahead of you and hundreds of thousands of words of secondary and tertiary stories, all building on the world.

8. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

What you missed? Oh boy. Well, they made me a mod for some reason.

@Taure started several fem!HP fanfics and rewrites named after British monarchs. They're probably the best in the fandom for that specific niche (Fem!HP, not characters named after British monarchs).

Santi wrote the Boy Who Lived which is about Harry Potter and his brother, the Boy-Who-Lived. It's a neat twist on the old indy fics, though lots of people have soured on it. I still think it's pretty iconic as fanfiction goes and it basically jump started the whole Harry in Durmstrang niche. Granted this was published 2009, but maybe you mised it.

We restarted the Quarterly writing competitions in late 2017 and have been keeping at it with quite a number of decent entries and winners submitted. You can find this in WBA (Thanks @Ched). If you feel like getting into (getting back into?) the writing game, it's a decent place to test yourself and get some feedback. (Holy shit we've been doing this for 2+ years. Way to go, guys).

Some standouts:
    Dec 2017 - Winning piece by our very own Joe, the-Aussie-who-stopped-drinking. Cool, kind of atmospheric story about a typical Joe-protag. Some neat worldbuilding ideas in there that feels Dresden-esque?
    Q1 2018 - possibly the best Lisa Turpin fic ever written.
    Q2 2018 - about breaking into Snape's office
    Q3 2018 - Set in egypt and involving vampires, an entry by @Zombie . Smut was aight.
    Q4 2018 - Interesting Dumbledore / Grindelwald dynamic
    Q1 2019 - Another Joe fic, mystery this time about what's causing the magical degradation of our beloved Scottish school.
    Q2 2019 - Holds a special place in my heart. We got 2 (NANI???) Daphne Greengrass centric stories that were good. This one is about Daphne and Astoria's relationship, with a mentor Dumbledore on the side. And this one is some really well-written slice of life romantic fluff featuring Daphne the Ice Cream Queen
    Q3 2019 - A nice piece about Dumbleodre's last summer pre-sixth year, and a Ron-centric gritty auror fic
    Q4 2019 - The best Andromeda / Teddy Lupin love story with a good dash of Italian festivites. Despite being literally just names for msot of canon, they really come to life here. Also a cool and rare fic that captures the essence of Luna's character.
    Q4.2 2019 - I confess I haven't read the flash competition entries, but the winner is quite the talented upcoming author and I believe the second one after Joe to win in the writing comps twice.

If you like Harry / Fleur, the Half-Blood Romantic was popular for a while though I confess I didn't follow it. by @Plothole

If you've been watching Star Wars the Mandalorian, or are otherwise liking the Baby Yoda memes, give Legacy - The Mandalorian a try. Heck, even if you haven't it's a baller read (I haven't watched the shows and I enjoy the heck out of it). Don't need to know much about SW beyond Jedi, lightsabers, bounty hunters and the narrative carries itself. By @Agayek

@Nuhuh updated Retsu's Folly if you can believe it

@Sorrows wrote a Hermione-centric story who tries to work out Harry Potter's secret (he's a time-traveler. Cool take on the genre)

@Selethe wrote a Gamer HP fic and promptly betrayed me by never updating it past a certain point. Still very competently written.

@soczab wrote a surprisingly decent SI into Edmure fic. It doesn't rehash canon GoT and the politics is quite good.

@BTT has a neat little Sherlock Holmes/ Persona fic. I treat it like a Sherlock Holmes with magic fic because what even is Persona amirite?

@Republic wrote a Sasuke Uchiha quest. Very AU, very good writing. 2nd person POV might throw you off though.

If you like original stuff, Mother of Learning has been going on solidly for years. This is a groundshog day story following an asshole mage transform into just a mage. Great character development.

For more ASOIAF fics, I made a post which covers basically that entire thread. You're welcome.
    I also have a DLP story archive that I haven't updated since 2018, but summarizes a lot of threads on DLP for your perusal and references what threads they draw from as well as the last archived post (just scroll right til you see it).

9. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    @Halt forgot to mention that Republic also wrote the best Harry/Daphne fic ever during that time (fite me). It's called Contractual Invalidation.

11. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Easy thing to miss, given that one fic of yours that is the absolute best in its fandom.

12. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You might be missing the romantic side of life. I really hope so in any case...

If so, try https://forums.darklordpotter.net/threads/grow-young-with-me-by-taliesin19-t.30618/

I just linked the DLP thread in it because inserting links can be a pain on mobile and it might give you a little background.

Features one of the best and realistic romances in the fandom as well as an outstanding OC.

I'm working on a seven year fic at the minute and in fact I'm due my yearly update so keep an eye out for "Great and Terrible."

(Oh look, I got it to work.)

Welcome back.

13. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    @Seratin Stop recommending shit to the person he doesn't know any better yet

14. Inert

Inert Headmaster

@Cxjenious wrote The Black Prince. Fantastic HPxASoIaF crossover that is, sadly, unfinished. I linked the FFN version but you can also find the WbA thread.

And welcome back!

15. Niez

Niez Competition Winner CHAMPION ⭐⭐

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

17. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ignore Rep, if there's a post recommending something and it isn't his he goes full Papaspathopolous and starts breaking plates.

On the other hand we have Methods of Rationality which is actual horseshit.

18. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Two truths and a lie, Niez is such a sly fox as always.

Anyways to seriously answer the question, I've seen a few missing fics in this thread.

Blood Crest by Cauchy is a good fic about Necromancy in Hp and its a first-year fic that's pretty much complete and the author doesn't seem like they'll abandon a sequel.

For good but not great fics I'd recommend The Seventh Horcrux for crack fics, it was pretty good when it came out but it's not the type of fic you can reread though and other crack fics sort of took jokes from it so read it first. It at least aged better then nonjon's A Black Comedy fic though.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12417372/1/Old-Blood I've forgotten what this is about but I remember liking it and @Lindsey was the beta for it if I recall correctly.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5866937/1/Control -this came out in 2010/2011 but maybe you havent read it, i dunno

Also, for non-HP centric fics but still Harry Potter there's that fic Applied Cultural Anthropology by jacobk
    It's about Hermione in Slytherin and it's pretty good.

Also, the Alexandra Quick series is really decent and almost complete. It's OC centric and about America and pretty AU but it has the harry potter spirit and its good for sure.

For Non HP fics at all

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7996957/1/The-Asking-Price - this is a hunger games fic, dunno if you've heard of that franchise

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6942921/1/He-Who-Fights-Monsters -good shit, anime subverted

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8616362/1/Harry-Potter-The-Last-Avatar - this is good crossover shit, the angsty first couple of chapters promised a big payoff and the author started to deliver but then they abandoned so thats a fat RIP.

fuck it Ill just post links an come back later to explain them

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3557725/1/Forging-the-Sword
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4563439/1/Ectomancer

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10362076/1/Less-Than-Zero
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12627473/1/The-Half-Blood-Romantic
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12495358/1/Hunting-the-Grim

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  19. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  20. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator