1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What if "Harry Potter" didn't have wands?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Andrela, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Imagine the series was written to be about wizards and witches, but they didn't use wands and instead simply cast spells from their hands/fingers.

Would the series and its plot be any different and if yes, how?

The plot with Harry's and Voldemort's wands being connected would clearly be gone, that's for sure.

Also, how would this affect fanfiction?

2. Zilly Sawdust

Zilly Sawdust High Inquisitor

Well, Harry might actually join Voldemort in this universe, because the disarming charm is clearly a dark art xD
    Detaching limbs aside, I'm curious how the thing with disarming making the loser's magic "subservient" to the winner would work out throughout wizarding society.

The part about connected wands could be readily replaced with them being connected through souls/blood. Not sure what the equivalent of the Elder Wand would be though.
    What's interesting is how that would impact wizard's sense of superiority, or gatekeeping magic, like goblins being prohibited from owning wands, what would be the ramifications of their non-existence?

Fanon-wise, a lot more ambi-dextrous wild-west finger-slinging spell-shooting super-Harry stories, that's for sure. Probably Gryffindor's sword would be made out to be some kind of magic amplifier. Though I'm sure there are plenty of stories like that already.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Canon it would effect probably. But not by much. It would remove the wand lore segments and ownership from the end of the series and the role it played I'd say so the ending would be different.

Fan fiction, probably not so much. One less wand building story, one less shopping trip, one less DEMENTOR BONE and Basilisk Tear wand core and how it amplifys his magic because he had sex with the tree it was made from or whatever.

There's plenty of wandless magic in fanon as well.

4. Gaius

Gaius Fifth Year

I think if there were no wands we may see more applications for enchanted objects like Gryffindor's sword or for potions. If wandless magic is slow/more difficult still, these advanced preparations may be more important for the world.

If wizards can pull of an Alohomora or any spell with their fingers as easily as with their wands, then we might see more themes about life debts and connections between wizards [edit: I'm thinking of overall themes since the "wand chooses the wizard" in Books 1 and 7 would not be as important]. Harry's clemency ends up saving his life when he is imprisoned by Pettigrew and the Malfoys, so that theme would remain, I imagine. Snape would still be in a kind of debt to Harry, perhaps as much because James saved his life and because he feels guilt for Lily's death. Dumbledore conquers Grindelwald because he had saved him from Aberforth's rage during their fight and G. was present for the manslaughter of Ariana. So basically more "deep magic."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020