1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Emerald Kaizo

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by LT2000, Feb 27, 2020.

1. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Anyone else picked this up? I highly recommended it for the masochistic. I needed a full team of six just to squeak past Roxanne, and I don't imagine it's going to be getting any easier.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nuzkocke it you won't.

3. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

No you will not. I have to run back to the Pokemon Center after every single trainer battle. Had four KO'd and the rest near it when I was done with Roxanne.

4. Seratin

High Score:
    I saw someone try to Nuzkocke it a while ago and they said it was essentially impossible. Some of the battles are just bullshit.

5. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I rarely get through a single trainer battle without getting something knocked out. I'm only in Dewford Town (which took eight hours to manage) and have already seen multiple enemies with full rosters. You'll never look down on the villain teams against after picking this shit up.

It's going to be a good while before I can progress further. Going to have to grind my Natu until it evolves (from 9 to 25) to have a prayer of getting past Brawly.

6. Seratin

High Score:
    Just a heads up but on the run I saw Maxie at Mt. chimney had a big level boost and was considered one of the most difficult trainers in the game.

7. Silirt

Silirt Chief Warlock DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

What exactly makes it more difficult? Higher enemy levels? Unfair game rules? AI?

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Pretty much all of those thing simultaneous. Plus, puzzles. I'm about to straight up ragequit because of ice floor puzzles in Granite Cave.

I was finally able to pull a sweep (by cheesing level 16-18 Brawly with a level 25 Xatu that had Psychic). Pathetic that I had to do that, but Brawly has a full team of cheatmons (all three Hitmons, Poliwrath, Hariyama and a Meditite). Wasn't getting through that wall of beef any other way.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Aaaaaand that's it for me. Cried uncle and tapped the mat when I got to Wattson. I've used up all the trainers available to grind, am still beneath his level a bit and his team is just too strong for me to cope with using what I have. His coverage moves are just too much.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  9. Seratin

High Score:
    Don't make me do it, LT.

10. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I got up off the mat and kicked Wattson in the nuts while he was celebrating his win tho.

So I looked up a run on YouTube and realized that I could get around the horrendously low wild encounter rates by using a Tropius with Sweet Scent. I did that to raise up a Camerupt that allowed me to deal with Wattson and his dirty whore (ab)use of Hidden Power Grass that was destroying my Marshtomp. With that, all I needed to do was to use the rest of my team to deal with his Lanturn and Surfing Raichu.

After finally getting past him, I'm on the way to Fallarbor Town (and getting sick of the old lady at the rest house, where I have to run back to every time I fight a trainer battle).

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  11. Seratin

High Score:
    That's the fucking spirit. I remember the run I saw mentioning using sweet scent but I never thought too much of it at the time.

What's your team like as of now?

For anyone who hasn't checked Emerald Kaizo out and you're wandering into this thread, what LT is doing is way worse than dark souls could hope to be.

12. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Cowards. I will conquer Hoenn.

13. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Right now it's Swampert, Charizard, Ursaring, Xatu, Breloom and Manectric. Everything is level 36-38, with the Manectric lagging a bit because I had to replace it with HM Slave Tropius to get to Fallarbor Town. Now that I'm there, it's back in and getting caught back up via Exp. Share.

Sweet Scent is pretty necessary to not go insane. Some grinding is a necessity in doing this, especially considering the need to raise specific things to counter Gym Leaders. I've had to do it for both Brawly and Wattson, and I expect the pattern will hold going forward.

Good luck. A piece of advice that I can give you: try to avoid using things that have 4X weaknessess (you can see that I have several of these in my team, and I'm almost certainly going to end up having to replace some of them because the AI can and ruthlessly will exploit them).

14. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Looking to try this soon when I get a new Flashcart for my DS - main question, how prepared are trainers for Shedinja?

15. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Good luck. A piece of advice that I can give you: try to avoid using things that have 4X weaknessess (you can see that I have several of these in my team, and I'm almost certainly going to end up having to replace some of them because the AI can and ruthlessly will exploit them.
    Very. My experience with my Breloom is that a whole slew of Trainers will come packing something like Aerial Ace. Been on the receiving end of many a OHKO (same with Giga Drain destroying my Swampert). Rock Tomb (now with 100 accuracy!) shows up a bunch too. A better strategy is to use things that have as few exploitable type weaknesses as possible. A good Normal type will get you a lot of mileage. My Ursaring has carried me through a lot of rough situations.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  16. Seratin

High Score:
    Roxanne wrecks Shedinja.

17. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Not that it matters, considering you can't even get a Nincada until the Safari Zone.
    --- Post automerged ---
    Three's the magic number. Three tries to beat Tabitha, three tries to beat Maxie, three tries to beat Flannery (fuck her and her always Sunny Day gym).

18. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Just googled Emerald Kaizo, and it sounds cool as fuck. What emulator do you guys recommend for this (and other Pokemon roms)? I was using VisualBoy Advance before I was locked up, but I have no idea if that one's even considered particularly good anymore...

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

That's what I'm still using. You'll need to go to Options -> Emulator -> Save Type and set it to Flash 128K and also to Options -> Frame Skip and set that to 5 in order to get it to work for this game. Otherwise you'll just get a white screen when you load it up.

20. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Awesome! Btw, I noticed you have a Charizard in your lineup; Does that mean that the starters can be caught wild? I saw on the pokecommunity page for Emerald Kaizo that the third gen ones could be caught wild, but didn't see them mention the first or second gen starters.

It also said a number of pokemon could only be caught after beating the game. Is there a list of which ones fall into that category anywhere?